Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Do manufactures need to make a hotter looking trainer

Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Do manufactures need to make a hotter looking trainer?
58.33%
Do manufactures and sellers need to stress more that there advance mod
41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Do manufactures need to make a hotter looking trainer

Old 08-29-2006, 01:42 PM
onepern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Do manufactures need to make a hotter looking trainer

Iv meet numerous people that have said that they’ve tried flying RC but just crashed it and wasted their money. But so I asked them what plane they bout and if they joined a club for help learning. And the answer is all ways the same no club and a plan they bout for looks not a trainer. Id thank it would be a plus for the manufactures to design a good hot looking trainer. The more peoples the successfully learn to fly the more future customers the have.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:53 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Do manufactures need to make a hotter looking trainer

I think there is something that fits that bill of a good looking trainer

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN2825
Old 08-29-2006, 02:18 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It wouldn't help.

It doesn't matter what plane you train with, if you don't have a good instructor, you're going to crash.

Look at it this way, even if someone MADE a good looking trainer, someone who doesn't know what they are doing won't even know enough to realize that they NEED a trainer.

Now let's examine the PTS... This has to be the best looking "Trainer" on the market. But you still need an instructor to fly it.

So Joe Blow walks into his LHS and says, "I want to buy an airplane". The guy behind the counter says, "You need to start with a trainer", and shows the guy a few trainers. It won't matter if he buys an LT-40 or a PTS, he's going to crash it if he doesn't get instruction. But he has a better chance with the LT-40

Now, given a choice between an LT-40 (Or a similar trainer) and a Mustang, MOST people who don't know what they're doing will choose the Mustang (Cause the guy at the hobby shop said it was a "Trainer")

So all in all, better looking trainers can do more harm than good. IMHO
Old 08-29-2006, 02:47 PM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Minn made a very good point. Having good help learning to fly is much more important than the appearance of the plane.

My brother's first plane was a Thunder Tiger Trainer 40; the one that had a plastic cowl and turtledeck. It looked a lot more like a "real airplane" than the SuperStar or other trainers he looked at. Between vibration and the rigors of flight training, the cowl got broken and eventually tossed. The turtledeck got its share of cracks also but was still mostly intact when the plane reached its expiration date.

Based on his experience with a "good looking" trainer, my first was a Hobbistar 60. As far as I can remember, the only plastic parts were the wing tip caps. They got banged up until they had to be tossed.

-------------

I did not vote in the poll because I do not understand the choices.

It seemed like two polls:

1. Do mfrs need to make a better looking trainer? No (see above)

2. Should they stress the skill level required for different models? Yes - but it will not matter to many buyers because they 'want what they want' and 'flying a model cannot be that hard.'
Old 08-29-2006, 03:00 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

MinnFlyer is right on. The only thing I think manufacturers of trainers need to do is make them more visible in the air. White with trim on the top of the wing looks fine on the ground but that's the only time you see it. The model needs to be more visible and trimmed so that you can tell the top from the bottom.

Rich
---------------------------

Wyoming Wind Festival Jan 1 to Dec 31
Old 08-29-2006, 04:46 PM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RC skill like any other takes effort, determination, and patience. I often have wondered how many planes are purchased by first timers or given as gifts and never leave the box. I know of many cases like that. The attitude that "flying a model can't be that hard" (and is being furthered by the foamies), I am a full scale pilot so I "know" how to do this, and just general lack of understanding of what a classic RC plane is, how it works, and what it takes to learn to fly it, has not been readily available information to the public in the past. AMA, the manufactures, the clubs, have all done a poor job of educating the public how to get involved with RC planes and succeed. That said it will always have a high "failure" rate because most people lack the desire and commitment to anything to really master something that is difficult. So many excuses are available to them to even try, to expensive (less than the jet-ski or snowmobile that sets in their garage 364 days a year), to much time involved, to much space needed. etc etc So when we get someone who really seems interested and has the resources to stay with it, we really need to go out of our way to help them succeed. More guys to sell our used junk, no jewels, to!
Old 08-30-2006, 05:03 PM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: staggerwing

MinnFlyer is right on. The only thing I think manufacturers of trainers need to do is make them more visible in the air. White with trim on the top of the wing looks fine on the ground but that's the only time you see it. The model needs to be more visible and trimmed so that you can tell the top from the bottom.

Rich
---------------------------

Wyoming Wind Festival Jan 1 to Dec 31
That is very true. My brother recently bought a trainer with he intention of helping a nephew get started. He bought a World Models Mach I because it's inexpensive and pretty well built.

It has the light blue/white pattern on the fuselage that looks like kitchen or bathroom curtains.

His wife has little interest in model planes, but she has been to the field a few times and notices that some of his planes are easier to see than others. She commented: "So, that plane is meant for someone who is learning to fly....... Why did they make it the same color as the sky?"

==============

I noticed Wyoming as your location. My brother's nephew is in Thayne Wyoming. They flew at the club field in Thayne. The photos he took of the surrounding area were gorgeous.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We already have hot looking trainers and hot trainers, much too hot for good learning, in my opinion. Virtually every trainer out there can be flown with a .25 and guys want a .46 because that's the "in" engine to have. "I want one like the big boys because I'm flying 3D next week." Rather than floating around slowly so they can steer, fly and learn, they zip around with a nervous instructor with his trigger finger on the buddy box switch so he can save the idiot on the box. They don't really want to learn to fly, in my opinion, they want the instant gratification of having a fairly fast, neat looking plane. A slow, pokey, easy-to-fly, real trainer won't do.

Certainly, the manufacturers are going to offer faster, more aerobatic looking trainers with .46s in them, they sell. Some people will learn how to fly, in particular, the young ones who have good eyes and fast reflexes. Older people who come into our hobby may take 2 or 3 years on these types of planes.

I have taught many people to fly, but the two people who learned the quickest were vastly different in ages. One was 10, had no fear and reflexes like a cat. "I can do it," he said, and promptly landed the plane. The other was much older, 60s, but had a 3 channel Kadet Senior with plenty of dihedral and an old OS .40 4-stroke running rich. the first flight lasted 32 minutes and he flew most of it after I trimmed the plane and throttled it back. It was nice and slow, probably 20 or 25 mph, and if he moved the stick wrong, he just released the comtrols and the plane leveled itself out. I landed that time, but on the next flight, he made 7, count 'em, 7 landings. It was right after a rain shower and dead calm, but he did it all. Very easy to fly, that Kadet. You can't sell a 3-chnnel plane any more unless it is a funky looking electric.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:56 PM
onepern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

LOL I didn't mean hot as in performance just in looks make it look like something you at the air ports.
I agree that a floater is the best for learning. I don't like buddy boxes I hadn't flown a few years and club has trainers with buddy boxes they flip the switch and the planes not trimmed to radio. id much rather have the plane trimmed out up 10 mistake's high and have the radio handed to me thats how i learned the fist time.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:18 PM
iron eagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I noticed that there is no room in your pol for an answer of no.
Ed_Moorman gave you the best observation, there are a lot of hot flying, and looking airplanes. But the best airplane is one that is easy for as new pilot to handle, and forgiving.
What it looks like really is not important, how it flies is!
All the rest is just bells and whistles... or smoke and mirrors as the case may be.