Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

std speed 400/480 battery

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

std speed 400/480 battery

Old 08-31-2006, 07:25 AM
russzero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default std speed 400/480 battery

hi .. apologees 1st if this post is repeated & dull to others. feel free to remove this.

Im faily new to using electric power in aero so im just trying to get a rough idea or starting point here. ive got quite a few delta models in my collection. im not really into old scale .. ie bipes & WW2 type planes as im a bit of a delta freak. ( not that i dont like those sort of planes .. but i find they can require more building time depending on detail .. & dont always suit my flying style.)

Most of my ic planes range from around 30 - 42ins span & AUW varies from lo? - to maybee 2lb+ but not much over 2lb. the wing loading is very good on all models as they are relativley small size hand launch. the glide on most of the deltas are normally glider like .. fairly fast & stable.

Q: ive just ordered a small kit with a speed400 motor supplied. the motor will be brushed .. well its free !! .. & im thinking of fitting either a single or pair of DF brushless later. what sort of power requirememt would i need to get a good flight out of the speed400? Ive just bought a 1550ma 20-25C lipo 3cell for use with a 300wtt brushless ive got on order .. for one of my 38ins flying wings .. to replace a .15 size nitro engine.
would this battery be overkill for the 400 size motor? .. should i buy a smaller cap battery? .. which would also reduce the weight. ( its still 1/2 the weight of a old model car sub-c cell battery )
Phew !! that was a waffle ... any suggestions would be a great help to a electric rookie!
cheers .. great aero site. russ uk
Old 09-03-2006, 10:56 PM
scoooper

Default RE: std speed 400/480 battery

Three cell li-po's are 11. something volts an fully chared around 12.3 any- hoo a tad much for a 400 (if it's geared) direct not so bad, but like you said it's free ( montior the moter &ESC for heat) if the ESC is hot to the touch she's not happy! the brushed motor gonna get a bit hot no matter what you put to her, rule of thumb --if finger sissles--too hot!! your bub, scoooper
Old 09-04-2006, 10:24 AM
russzero

hi .. ok thanks for that .. any guidance is much appreciated at the moment untill i get into the swing of things. I guess ill look for a 2cell 7.4 for starters on the 400 & give it the thumb test. Im just waiting for the motor & esc for my foam space shuttle & then i can balance it out & run off to the field. this waitings painfull !!
thanks russ .. oh yeah .. the shuttle weighs just 6.5oz bare! approx 24in span x 36in long ..
adding the nesc bits its about 20z all up .. so im hoping for a brisk simular performance from it. I may have to add a little reinforcement to the underside .. & hoping it wont put the weight up more than 2-3oz. mmm
Old 09-05-2006, 02:20 AM
bigchap

i used to run an 11.1 lipo on a flying wing with a speed 400 6v,i used to get 20 minutes out of a motor!,i would go with a 7.4 like you suggested.