Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Super Tigre 45 or 51?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Super Tigre 45 or 51?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 06:33 PM
gabe6090

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Tigre 45 or 51?

Have a GS-40 on a sport scale Gee Bee. It's under-powered. I have a pitts muffler on it so I want to be able to use that on a new power plant. I believe that leaves me with two options, the ST 45 or 51. They show similar hp numbers but the 51 is quite a bit more expensive. The 51 is ringed while the 45 is ABC. Is there more to the story than them having essentially the same horsepower numbers?

Thanks
Old 09-02-2006, 07:05 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Super Tigre 45 or 51?

if it is underpowered with a 40 then I would put the largest engine that will fit in it.the .51 should turn a larger diameter prop or one with more pitch than the .45.I myself would look at maybe using an olser webra 61 blackhead.they are not much larger than todays 46-52 size engines but can swing a 11-7 to a 12-6 prop with authority and will handle a six pound airframe with ease.the crankcase width is 1.5 inches,length from backplate to front of drive washer is 3.5 inches height from bottom of engine lugs to top of cylinder is 3.125 inches.