Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

World Record Altitude????

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

World Record Altitude????

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 06:47 AM
Whirley Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default World Record Altitude????

Hi Gang,
I read that the world record altitude for R/C is over 27,000 feet.
Does anyone know what type of gear was used?
Was FCC involved to give special permission to run extra power to reach over five miles?
I'd sure like to try and break that record
Old 01-06-2003, 09:35 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Is it held by us or the Russians? If by us its probably held by Maynard Hill as he held or holds many of them. There have write up in the model mags. how he did it ,I know he had help of U.S. Navy. Might be easier now days with auto-pilots & GPS . I think Hill has HAM license for extra power. Possible that U.S. Govt. RPV spook planes could go higher, but I bet they won`t tell !!! Good Luck >>>>>>>>>big max 1935
Old 01-07-2003, 12:45 AM
Whirley Bird

Originally posted by big max 1935
Is it held by us or the Russians? If by us its probably held by Maynard Hill as he held or holds many of them. There have write up in the model mags. how he did it ,I know he had help of U.S. Navy. Might be easier now days with auto-pilots & GPS . I think Hill has HAM license for extra power. Possible that U.S. Govt. RPV spook planes could go higher, but I bet they won`t tell !!! Good Luck >>>>>>>>>big max 1935
.Hi Big max,
Yeah the spook planes will go very much higher.
Well if he had to go with FCC regs then he's allowed 1 watt.
Unless they just considered this some sort of special event.
So far no luck doing a search but i'll keep trying.
Maybe the RX had a pre amp and the Navy allowed him to use a beam directed at the craft.
I'l keep searching.
Thanks for the post
Old 01-07-2003, 03:19 AM
big max 1935

You might check with AMA as I think they & the FAI had to have observers for record attempts.I think he also held endurance & possibly speed record at one time also, hope this helps. >>>>>MAX
Old 01-07-2003, 03:27 AM
Vince

If your just talking hobbiest R/C, then mayby so. Actually the Russians have the record, as they launched the unmanned Buran shuttle on a modified Energia rocket in to earth orbit, kept it there for several days then landed it all by remote control.

Vince
Old 01-07-2003, 03:30 AM
gelcoat-RCU
My Feedback: (206)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default altitude Record for R/C

Yea, I remember reading about this a few years ago and if my memory serves me well it was in Model Airplane News mag. - the second last page. It was a model helicopter and the pilot was sitting in a full size Heli. 27,000 feet is about right.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:41 AM
Whirley Bird

Default Re: altitude Record for R/C

Originally posted by gelcoat
Yea, I remember reading about this a few years ago and if my memory serves me well it was in Model Airplane News mag. - the second last page. It was a model helicopter and the pilot was sitting in a full size Heli. 27,000 feet is about right.
..No,
I don't think so.
What I was told it was a fixed wing.
Come to think of it I don't think there is a Heli full size that wil go to 27,000 feet.
Even the American Blackhawk has a hard time at 20,000 feet.
I'm still searching so i'll find it and post it here.
Thanks for writing
Old 01-07-2003, 03:45 AM
Whirley Bird

Originally posted by Vince
If your just talking hobbiest R/C, then mayby so. Actually the Russians have the record, as they launched the unmanned Buran shuttle on a modified Energia rocket in to earth orbit, kept it there for several days then landed it all by remote control.

Vince
..Hi Vince,
This was a fixed wing R/C model that went to 27,000 feet.
I'm still searching out some key words but nothing close yet
Old 01-07-2003, 03:57 AM
Whirley Bird

You might check with AMA as I think they & the FAI had to have observers for record attempts.I think he also held endurance & possibly speed record at one time also, hope this helps. >>>>>MAX
Hi MAX,
I'll ask some of the skydivers at Mc Guire AFB.
They may be able to give me some info on it.
I do know that a Capt. Joe Kittinger made a 102,300 feet jump from a balloon but the FAI refused to give him credit because he used a 8 foot drag chute to keep him form going into a spin that would have killed him.
His top speed was clocked at 613 MPH.
A guy in Bricktown NJ tried to break the recored because Kittinger was only 700 feet from what was called the edge of space.
The young Guy tried to bleed off some O2 and was not able to reseal the face plate.
The ground grew heard him say help and they released him via remote control but he suffered to much brain damage from lack of O2 and died 3 days later
Old 01-07-2003, 04:27 AM
big max 1935

Look in Guinness Book of Records under model aircraft. I think its there?>>>>>>MAX
Old 01-07-2003, 05:14 AM
Whirley Bird

Look in Guinness Book of Records under model aircraft. I think its there?>>>>>>MAX
Thanks max.
Good thing I thought of that huh
If I find it i'll post it.
Still searching here
Old 01-07-2003, 08:18 PM
onewasp

Simply contact the AMA. They too were involved, plus they keep track of the records for model aircraft.

If memory serves me correctly, they sanctioned the event. I believe John Worth was then AMA pres.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:08 PM
Whirley Bird

Originally posted by onewasp
Simply contact the AMA. They too were involved, plus they keep track of the records for model aircraft.

If memory serves me correctly, they sanctioned the event. I believe John Worth was then AMA pres.
..Hi onewasp,
This is what I found in my search.
More realistic for a model.------------------------------------------------------------------4720 FEET
16th March 1997
Andrew J. Ellison (S63845)

UK - R/C Aeroplane Piston Motor - Altitude Record Claim (No. 22)

Flying Site

The flight took place on the Kay House Farm site at Astley Moss G/R Manchester. This is the area used by Tyldesley Model Flying Club (Club No. 357). The conditions were deemed to be acceptable enough to ensure a safe flight and recovery of the model without incident and interference with full size aircraft. The conditions were generally overcast at high altitude to ensure good sighting of the model and with a wind speed of approximately 15 mph.

The Model

The model used was my own modified Avicraft Frantic fun-fly model.
It was selected for this task due to it's ability to climb vertically indefinitely, and with power off, dive vertically without picking up sufficient airspeed to cause structural failure. These qualities ensured that the model was not at altitude longer than absolutely necessary at achieve a reading on the barograph used during the flight.
The model was powered by an Irvine Q40 ABC motor running on straight Methanol/Castor fuel with the manufacturers standard silencer and add on unit fitted. The propeller was an APC 11x5, and the motor was rubber mounted. This produced an overall noise reading off 76dBA at 7 metres.

Method of Alitude Measurement

The unit used to measure the altitude of the model was a B.M.F.A. approved miniature barograph, specifically selected for it's use in model aircraft, in the form of a Casio DW6500 "G Shock" wristwatch.
This having been previously calibrated in the presence of the two official observers to set the reference altitude to zero at the point of launch.
The timekeeper was provided with an approved stopwatch loaned to the Tyldesley Model Flying Club by the B.M.F.A.
The observers were equipped with binoculars and a dedicated lookout (a B.M.F.A. Examiner) was instructed to advise the pilot of the presents of any full size aircraft in the vicinity. It was #his call to abort the flight if required due to full size activity.
he timekeeper was instructed to start the stopwatch as the model became airborne and note the point at which the engine stopped. (NOTE - The time of flight is recorded for reference purposes only.) and the observers were instructed to not remove their gaze from the model at any time during the flight in case the pilot lost sight of it.

The Flight

The model, equipped with the barograph was given a trimming flight and then re-fuelled. The engine was then restarted and the model maneuvered into the launch position. A final check around and an all clear from the dedicated lookout ensured that no full size aircraft were in the vicinity. At 12:15pm the model was allowed a short rolling take off before being directed vertically upward and allowed to climb.
During the climb the angle of ascent was adjusted to allow the model to track upwind of the point of launch slightly. The model proceeded to climb to the altitude claimed whereupon the engine was stopped by the pilot and the model settled into a short glide for approximately 15 seconds to allow the barograph readings to be taken. The model was then directed vertically downwards and flown under the full control of the pilot to a landing at a point some 10 feet from the point of launch. The observers verified a reading of 4720 feet above the point of launch and the barograph was removed from the model. The model was thoroughly checked over and found to e without damage. The total recorded flight time for the model was 4 minutes 52 seconds, this included 3 minute 36 seconds in the climb.

Precautions taken throughout this flight

Weather

The day was chosen because it turned out to be overcast at high level. This ensured good sighting and orientation of the model by the pilot and observers. Good visibility is not easily achievable against a blue sky.
The weather was settled. This ensures accurate readings from the barometric device. Changeable weather and varying temperatures may have an adverse effect on the readings taken.

The Team

Personnel associated with this record claim were:

1 Pilot
2 Pitmen
2 Dedicated observers with Binoculars.
1 Timekeeper
1 Dedicated full size aircraft lookout

The observers had binoculars in the event that the pilot lost sight of the model.
The dedicated lookout was instructed to advise the pilot of the presence of full size aircraft in the vicinity. It was his decision so abort the flight if required.

The Model

The model was chosen for it's ability to climb to altitude quickly in a vertical plane, and it's ability to descend vertically without structural failure from excessive speeds due to it's high drag.
Circling flight is not desirable at altitude as this leads to disorientation by the pilot.
The model weighed substantially less than 7kg.

Failsafes

The model was flown on JR PCM radio equipment equipped with a programmable radio failsafe which would ensure descent of the model. This was set to place the model in a left handed spin at tickover in the event of loss of radio signal. The radio failsafe was tested beforehand by switching the TX off in flight at a safe altitude.
Before the flight the pilot determined that the best course of action ensuring the quickest possible descent over the point of launch in the event that he lost sight of the model, was to enter into a vertically diving lomcavak "Hanno Screw" at low throttle setting. This ensures a vertical descent with little or no drift from the wind, but is a more violent maneuver than a spin and not thought to be suitable for the radio failsafe. This again was tested beforehand.

The Air Navigation Order

The flight took place out of controlled airspace, but entering into it at 1500 feet. The model weighed less than 7kg and so was not in contravention of the A.N.O.
The dedicated lookout, and all the preparatory work done beforehand and use of failsafes indicates that this flight was conducted in a wholly responsible manner.
The local aerodrome is aware of the position of our flying site and circumnavigate us at a responsible distance.
This record does however have moralistic arguments both for and against, and no publicity outside of the modeling fraternity is being sought .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess this must be it and it the # 22 record
Old 01-07-2003, 10:27 PM
rcav8or
My Feedback: (5)

The altitude record of all time, other that a rocket (outer space, of course), is held by the Helios, a remote-controlled solar powered plane, with 14 electric motors. Here's the info:

Helios release

Maynard Hill, does indeed hold the altitude record, for modelers. Here's one mention of it, along with his attempts at the Transatlantic record:

Maynard Hill

And here's yet more info, on the altitude record:

More Maynard Hill, and the record

Should shed some light on the subject.

R
Old 01-07-2003, 10:34 PM
rcav8or

Default One more...

Other Maynard Hill records, several still standing, some after over 30 years!

Maynard Hill's records

R
Old 01-07-2003, 10:45 PM
onewasp

My memory may be faulty (and that is a distinct possibility) however, I remember Maynard Hill establishing a record of well above 20,000 feet.

In the dark recesses of what used to be my mind, I vaguely remember the U.S.Navy (at least military) allowing the use of one or more radar tracking stations (TAD for the record's purpose) tracking the plane which had metalized Mylar on the rudder to reflect long after the plane had left sight. Also as I remember it ,FUEL not service ceiling limited the record to that altitude. I believe it was a high winger, large by standards in use then, which had been designed specifically to carry the fuel load.

Also, someone at AMA has to have this information. I think they required more than one date for the attempt as the first one was canceled by the weather conditions . The Radar tracking was the big variable and the plane also had to be landed within a certain area, specified, and darkness very nearly caused them to miss ----BUT they didn't! I'm guessing the seventies was the approximate decade, probably early to mid seventies.

NOW, life being what it is, I probably would be hard pressed to list what I had for breakfast--- yet the gross facts do come to mind. Hell, do a search for Maynard Hill in the Maryland area, he was still active in 2002 with a distance attempt across the 'Pond" and that one fell short. Maynard could certainly clear this up.

You data is impressive, but I KNOW it happened, I think !!!!
Old 01-08-2003, 12:35 AM
onewasp

rcav8or

After sending my "epistle" I went back and read further on the site you posted.

I thought you had sent the latest record attempt only. When all else fails, read the instructions!!!

Now that we know that it took place, I'll breathe a little easier ----these people "at the home" might think I was out of it.

If only we could nail down the date.

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:03 AM
Whirley Bird

rcav8or

After sending my "epistle" I went back and read further on the site you posted.

I thought you had sent the latest record attempt only. When all else fails, read the instructions!!!

Now that we know that it took place, I'll breathe a little easier ----these people "at the home" might think I was out of it.

If only we could nail down the date.

Thanks for the input.
RedWing,Well I was looking for something more on the conventual models we fly and not some giant bird thats financed by the NAVY.
Also sure like to know what radio gear was used
Old 01-08-2003, 01:19 AM
rcav8or

Default 1wasp

I do believe it says in those sites someplace, but it was in 1970 that Maynard took the altitude record.

*just went back and looked - the one link didn't make it, with all Maynards FAI records...duplicated the one before. Here it is:

Maynard's records - some broken, some still standing...

And all the current FAI records:

Current Records

If the first one doesn't work, due to asp, you can click on Current Records, and at the right, see what other records the holders have....

And it's possible that AMA may have something somewhere on it, but the true sanctioning body is the FAI, and they are the only ones that can verify and accept or deny an international record attempt, I believe. So AMA, while somewhat involved, would possibly not have anything other than a record of it. I do know that Walt Good was active at the time, with Maynard Hill, and collaborated with him on several record attempts.

Of course, I'm not that old, just have always been interested in the history of our hobby...just a high-schooler when the record was won.

All the guys around me were still flying yo-yo's, back then, was years later when I got into the r/c.

R
Old 01-08-2003, 01:27 AM
rcav8or

Default Vegas -

Here's the bit on Maynard on the ARRL site - gives his call, you might dig him up, and ask what he used for the altitude - this page is on his Transatlantic attempts...

ARRL info on Maynard

R
Old 01-08-2003, 01:36 AM
onewasp

Vegas

The Navy/military was involved ONLY for the tracking and verification of a record well beyond "sight distance". They sponsored nothing.

The plane was big for its day but certainly wasn't "a giant".
At todays flying field it wouldn't even draw a crowd.

This was a private enterprise!
Old 01-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Whirley Bird

My memory may be faulty (and that is a distinct possibility) however, I remember Maynard Hill establishing a record of well above 20,000 feet.

You data is impressive, but I KNOW it happened, I think !!!!
Hi One WASP.,
I was looking for the information that pertained more to the conventual models that we fly and not some giant bird that was financed by the NAVY.
Also wanted to get additional info on the radio gear used.
I'll keep doing my search on the model aircraft records.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:08 AM
big max 1935

My #1 son found his record book. I don`t know why I didn`t think of it sooner! The NAA publishes a book yearly, at this site NAA-USA.ORG The cost is$21.95 +$3.00 shipping. The book we have is a 1989. Maynard L. Hill distance straight line 282.87 mi.,altitude 26,922.24 ft., & speed closed circuit 150.25 mph. He also held sea plane altitude 18,535.28 ft. Some of this you already know ,but now you can order book & have a chance to be an expert!! Some fun >>>>>>>>>>big max 1935
Old 01-10-2003, 12:49 AM
Whirley Bird

My #1 son found his record book. I don`t know why I didn`t think of it sooner! The NAA publishes a book yearly, at this site NAA-USA.ORG The cost is$21.95 +$3.00 shipping. The book we have is a 1989. Maynard L. Hill distance straight line 282.87 mi.,altitude 26,922.24 ft., & speed closed circuit 150.25 mph. He also held sea plane altitude 18,535.28 ft. Some of this you already know ,but now you can order book & have a chance to be an expert!! Some fun >>>>>>>>>>big max 1935
. Hi max,
That some recored.
I think maybe i'll pass on trying to beake that one