Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Chain-link fencing for pilot stations - Your Thoughts?

Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Chain-link fencing for pilot stations - Your Thoughts?

Old 01-10-2003, 02:35 PM
Mr Edge540

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Chain-link fencing for pilot stations - Your Thoughts?

I wanted to post this question out to the rest of you, and get your opinion on this situation.

Our club is in need of replacing the PVC and plastic orange saftey netting that encloses our pilot stations. They are setup in a "v" pattern facing the runway with about 18 inches of space at the front.

There was some discussion as to making them out of metal Chain link fencing. Now this would ensure a more lasting investment but what about saftey issues? One of which has concerned a few modelers is radio interference. Antennas may touch the cage and ground out the signal, is this true? Another was that the radiation would be reduced about 50-60 feet?

Does anyone have any real expierence with radio systems and if used around this type of metal cage setup, what radio issues we would incurr?

I think that we need to revert back to heavy guage PVC pipe and instead of orange safety netting, use something thats more UV and weather resistant. One idea has been netting that is used from shrimp boats. I hear that can be bought at a marine store and will last for a long time.

What are your comments and thoughts on this?
Old 01-10-2003, 03:41 PM
cap10fan
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've seen it save a lot of ankles, including mine. Never saw any interference from it.

There is a club in Gardnerville, NV that I used to fly at. They have chainlink around the pilot stations.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:43 PM
mulligan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We have chain link fencing, and it's the best (in our opinion ) Yes, if you touch antenna to metal, you may get a hit, but this is immediately remedied by picking up the antenna off the metal. I can't think of anyone who has touched their antenna to the metal (accidentally) yet.

- George
Old 01-10-2003, 05:35 PM
monocoupe
My Feedback: (40)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Plastic Net vs Chain Link

Personally, I prefer the orange plastic netting, as it isn't as hard on airplanes as the chain link will be. I personally witnessed a Byron Mustang "lose it", on take off and hit the plastic fence. It did surprisingly little damage to the model. If it had been chain link, there would have been far more damage. I do realize that the object of the exercise is to protect people first, but the plastic fence survived the attack, leaving me to conclude that it is sturdy enough to do the job.
I was once hit by a model while flying at a pilot's station on the flight line. You know darned well if you make the barrier 3' tall, the model will be coming at you at 5'!

Nigel
Old 01-10-2003, 05:35 PM
RCaeroguy
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can you say vegematic?
Old 01-10-2003, 05:58 PM
monocoupe
My Feedback: (40)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by vacinekm
Can you say vegematic?
Nope, I got lucky. I got the wing leading edge of a Sig Kadet in the side of the head...the prop got the antenna of my transmitter. It did knock me over, and I crashed my airplane, as I had just taken off and was still close to the ground!
Old 01-10-2003, 06:56 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default metal safety fence

We faced the same question last spring. We were having to replace the orange plastic safety netting every other year and a couple of times had to do some "creative splicing". We opted for a metal fence. We used 14ga welded steel "garden" fence w/green plastic coating. We just weren't that comfortable with the orange plastic anymore since more and more pilots are flying larger aircraft.

Yes, we figured that a metal fence would do more damage to an airplane than the plastic fence; but it is SUPPOSED TO BE A SAFETY FENCE and the purpose of a safety fence should be to protect the pilots not the aircraft!

Dan
Old 01-10-2003, 07:32 PM
RCaeroguy
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, I know it's all about safety. That's not to be taken lightly. You have to admit, though, the effects of running a plane into a chain-link fence would be devastating.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:37 PM
bipeaddict

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Richmond Radio Control Club uses metal chain-link fencing around their pilot stations. It doesn't appear to interfere with radio. I have even rested my antenna on the metal. Doesn't seem to do anything.

I would like to have plastic netting between the stations. Planes have come into the pits by flying between the stations.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:50 PM
Mr Edge540

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I appreciate all the comments thus far! Sounds to me like the metal setup is the way to go.

I would have to agree for safety purposes, this would be the optimal as the pilot stations main purpose in life is to provide a "Saftey net" if you will, and protect the pilot. The metal will provide more security but most of our guys are concerned about the radio transmission being affected.

Dant, I really like that idea you guys are using with metal caging with a plastic coating on the outside. Where can you find this type of material? Is this some sort of special cage wire?

Keep the opinions coming.

Chris
Old 01-10-2003, 10:05 PM
swill
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No problems with all-metal chain link here, as far as interference goes. Even tested it out with one of my knock-around planes far away (Futaba 8U at the time, FM) and nothing noticable happened when my antenna touched the metal fence.

here's a not so great picture of our field...

NOTE: the touching of the antenna to the fence was very brief (less than 1 sec)...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	46344_1169.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	28673  
Old 01-10-2003, 10:16 PM
mulligan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The green coated fence, which of course is more expensive, can be found at hardware stores where you would find normal chain link. Some stores, like Home Depot, may have to special order it, but it shouldn't be hard to get at all.

We didn't go with it just because of the incremental cost.

- George
Old 01-10-2003, 11:07 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The green chain link is readily available and not that expensive. I used it for my yard as it tends to become invisible which is good.
I'm surprised at no interference because we have a chain link fence between pits and runway. I wound up with the fence between me and my model while on the ground and I was convinced I had lost control of it as it revved up and turned to the fence. No damage but I would not do that again. Must have been me!??

I also read somewhere that when a club had metal roofing in the immediate area (clubhouse)and some fence they were getting hits at the end of their runway.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:21 PM
beepee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Pilot Station Fencing

MrEdge540,

Come out to Scobee Field in West Houston. We converted to metal fencing about a year ago and there are no complaints. You will have some fun if you touch your antenna to the fencing, but recovery is immediate when you get off the fence.

I agree that it is very unforgiving (proven with one of my own planes), but there are too many 30+# aerobats and darned fast jets to be offering any tender form of pilot protection any more.

Good luck!

Bedford
Old 01-12-2003, 06:40 AM
RCP57
My Feedback: (25)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Mr Edge 540

Take a look at our field "Space City RC" and look at the last two photos on that page. Our chain link fence separates the spectators and set-up area from the pilots who are flying.

http://www.spacecityrc.com/tour.html

You can also come out to the field for a first hand look. The fence has been up for quite a number of years and has never given us any trouble.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:37 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Safet firsty

I would rather brake a prop on the chain link fence than on my leg! We have five flight stations made of CL, we have tested them for interference by touching an antenna to one while flying with no ill affects.
They have also been tested for their purpose and work very well, they stand three feet high with two sides and are big enough for two people to hide behind.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:00 AM
Mr Edge540

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bedford, RC, Greetings! I am with the Ft. Bend RC club based out of Rosenberg. I heard from some members that Scobee did make those changes and they have had success with them. Thats good to hear from folks close to home.

Carlos, I agree with you along with the others here that have posted. Our club is strongly considering the metal chain link fence option and this is the route we will most likely take. Some of us were concerned about the effects of metal and wanted to get some feedback from other flyers out there, with what they have expierenced with chain link pilot stations. Most importantly safety being the bottom line. Weither we have Guests at the field, or whomever may be flying. We want something that is safe, and that will provide a long life of service.

Thanks again for the input!
Old 01-17-2003, 09:03 PM
Carlos Murphy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default cap 10fan

I've been to the field in Gardnerville while visiting a friend and it looks like a great site. What engines were you flying and with which props. I am courius about the altitude difference.
I fly at sea level here at Bayside R/C in Fremont Ca.
For instance, I use a 16X8 APC on my Saito 180 and a 10X6 on my OS-46 fx.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:28 PM
deletemenow

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We have steel cages at our field. I have seen a few planes smack'm this year. They didn't suffer to much damage. Better than damaging another pilot. I don't ever remember anyone having a interference problem by touching the antennae to the cage. I've been in a cage when it got smacked and I'm glad it was there. The cages are simple steel tubing with a heavy gauge livstock fencing welded to the steel tubing. Later...Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	48020_9123.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	28674  
Old 05-14-2010, 10:55 PM
lfalsetto
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Chain-link fencing for pilot stations - Your Thoughts?

Does AMA have recommended guidelines for flying stations? If so where are they?
Old 05-15-2010, 12:09 AM
Carlos Murphy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We have 5 flight stations each 6' apart made of chain link and steel pipe.

Never had a problem and they have saved a few pilots AND students legs.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:15 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Best field i have flown on had a three foot by about 20 foot flying stand/area. That way the pilots could even hear each other when they were going to land or take off. I have also seen a 40% Extra hit the CL at full throttle on take off after it got away from the pilot. Plane damage wasn't all that bad, better yet, none of the other pilots were hurt by the plane. The fence is for the people, the runway is for the planes.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:16 AM
dignlivn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Our club has a chain link fence that is about 200 ft long.
There are 2 openings to taxi to the runway. We have 4
pilot station, 2 on each side of the middle opening.

It make some people a better pilot and some, well
you know.

Bob
Old 05-15-2010, 09:31 AM
jester_s1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The soft barrier is easier on the airplanes, and it is remarkably strong. One nice thing about it is that props get tangled in it which stops the engine. I like that better than the metal which instantly breaks the props. I'm suprised that I haven't seen a metal pilot box with a soft barrier in front of it. That would save the planes without compromising safety for the pilots.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Augie11

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Our experience out here in Colorado is pretty much the same as everyone elses'. We had that plastic netting for years and were constantly replacing/repairing it. Since the change to chain link we have had almost zero problems. No interference issues and VERY few planes running into them. It's as if folks hit the 'reset' button in their minds and just got used to them. The green, plastic-coated does look a bit nicer if you can afford the price differential.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service