Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Shipping RC airplanes overseas...

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Shipping RC airplanes overseas...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 12:08 PM
RVM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping RC airplanes overseas...

I am probably moving to the UK in about 10 months and was wondering if it was possible to ship a couple of planes over there. Let me rephrase that; is it economically feasible to ship a couple of planes to the UK from the US? I don't want to spend $500 to ship the planes when I could just rebuild both of them.

USPS can't do it, period, for any price. The boxes would be too big. FedEx and UPS are saying they would prefer to quote when I actually had the boxes packed and ready for shipping. Go figure.

I'll need to ship a 27% Extra and a .60 Chipmunk. They both have one-piece wings. I haven't finished the Extra, so I could probably modify the wings to two-piece, but I would prefer not to.

I would pull all the electonics and the engine to keep the weight down. The boxes wouldn't be heavy, just big.

I don't think the airlines would let me bring an 80" wing onboard unless I bought it a seat.

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2006, 12:34 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Shipping RC airplanes overseas...

I have flown on Continental with my planes underneath. There were 2 boxes that were about 6 Ft.x 2 Ft.x 2 Ft.
This was about 10 years ago. I don't know if they would do it today. Back then, they did not even charge me extra!

If they do let you, just make sure the boxes can withstand a 10 Ft. fall...I'm sure you've seen how baggage handlers handle luggage!

I would call your airline and find out.

Doug
Old 09-07-2006, 12:38 PM
RVM

Default RE: Shipping RC airplanes overseas...

That sounds promising! Thanks for the info! I'll have to check closer to when I get my tickets.

I don't have to finish the Extra before I leave, I just want to dammit! I guess if I have to I'll just bring the wood with me and build it there.

ORIGINAL: firstplaceaviator

I have flown on Continental with my planes underneath. There were 2 boxes that were about 6 Ft.x 2 Ft.x 2 Ft.
This was about 10 years ago. I don't know if they would do it today. Back then, they did not even charge me extra!

If they do let you, just make sure the boxes can withstand a 10 Ft. fall...I'm sure you've seen how baggage handlers handle luggage!

I would call your airline and find out.

Doug