Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Covering over wood areas exposed to fuel

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering over wood areas exposed to fuel

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Soko42vv
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering over wood areas exposed to fuel

Several repairs I have made and tried to recover have been unsuccesful as wood areas around the repair have been exposed to a minimal, but just enough fuel that got under the covering. What are my options in trying to recover aside from tearing out all the affected wood and starting from scratch? I am using monokote as my primary covering but am not opposed to trying others.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:40 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Covering over wood areas exposed to fuel

The first thing you need to do it remove the fuel from the wood. Pick up a product called K2R, it's a carpet cleaning solution. Completely expose the soaked wood. Use your heat gun to heat the wood, as it heats you'll see oil start to seep out of the wood. At this point spray the area with the K2R and wait for it to dry (turn to powder), then brush off the powder. Keep repeating this cycle until you there is no (or very little) oil coming out of the wood when you heat it. Don't get in a hurry as this can take awhile. After you have as much oil out as you can then you'll need to seal up the wood. I use 30-minute epoxy. Put a blob of epoxy on the wood and use your heat gun to thin it out, use an epoxy brush to "paint" the affected wood with the thinned epoxy. Once the epoxy dries then you can recover the area affected. Others my have different materials to seal the wood, but I use epoxy.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 09-17-2006, 11:11 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Covering over wood areas exposed to fuel

I use K2R OR cornstarch to absorb the oil in the wood. As Ken stated, itWILL TAKE several sessions to remove the oil. At this point I use SIG "StixIt" to seal the area. StixIt is brushed on and once it dries the heat from the iron activates the glue.

I use this exclusively in areas where I can not wrap the covering (Windows, etc ). I have found that the wood will let go before the adhesive in this does. To remove the covering from a StixIt area, just apply heat while lifting it up/off.