Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Merits of different coverings

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Merits of different coverings

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 09:25 AM
steveg_oz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merits of different coverings

I'm curious about what everyone thinks the relative merits of different covering systems are. I'd always used Solarfilm, which was light, with limited shrink... but didn't seem to last so well. When the polyester films came out, I thought they were a big improvement, as you could keep shrinking them... far more than Solarfilm.

Just recently I've tried Monokote (its prohibitively expensive in Australia) and just love it. It has all the shrinkability of polyester, but the colours are great and it seems really tough and doesn't bubble in our 120* heat.

Any other opinions of the virtues of different films.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:05 PM
Al Stein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting that its ability to hold up in the heat was what you liked about MonKote... it sounds like you know how to put this stuff on, which is a skill best learned with limited shrink coverings. In the U.S., where lots of people (maybe most people?) have never used SolarFilm or low-shrink coverings, MonoKote has a bit of a reputation for being bubbly, wrinkly, saggy stuff -- but, again, that's because many people here are relying on throwing the stuff loosely over a frame and hitting it once with the heat gun to shrink it into shape. On the other hand, applied right, it does give a great finish. (A little glossier than I like, but thast's personal taste or lack of taste.)

One of my favorites is micafilm... for gravity powered planes with no under carriage, it's tear resistance is unbeatable and its weight is only about 1/3 to 1/2 of that of MonoKote. It doesn't shrink like MonoKote and it doesn't come with adhesive, so it's definitely more work. For gliders or other places where light and tough are both important, Micafilm's outstanding.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:40 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You in Austrailia need to check out Oz covering. The supply is rather limited here in the USA but should be readily avialable there as that is where it is produced. I've used it and like it a great deal. It does have to be painted though unless you like either pearl white (Rhino cover) or clear transparent (Oz Cover). Both go on very easily and similar to any of the other films but is much more durable.