Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Storing engines, avoiding the dreaded gummed up.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Storing engines, avoiding the dreaded gummed up.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 05:14 AM
old git

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing engines, avoiding the dreaded gummed up.

Hi all,

Have you any advice for me. I have a number of engines that I put away FOR LATER! When I came to look at them they were gummed up. I am able to clean up many of them, some need full refurbishment but what now?

I recall the time I saved a number of small nuts and bolts by leaving them submerged in paraffin/kerosene? When I next looked they were so rusted they were cemented together with rust. I have heard of Marvel Mystery Oil but it doesn't seem to be available here in UK. Recently sorting out my workshop I found a bottle of Marvel Oil for air tools, a few drops are added to the connector before use to preserve tools when an in-line oiler is not fitted. Is this perhaps the same thing as the Marvel Mystery Oil I have seen recommended.

Has anyone any advice for me about how to preserve old or indeed new motors. It is particularly a problem with my glow engines.

Thanks for looking.

old git - - - - -aka John L.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:20 AM
fokker20planes

Default RE: Storing engines, avoiding the dreaded gummed up.

I am really surprised you had trouble with Kerosene. I have stored engines for years in kerosene and never had any rust. There is an oil (what kind and type I'm not sure) people have used with good results for long term storage. I'm sure others will chime in here. But again the kerosene thing has me stumped. I figured it was impossible for something to rust submerged in kerosene.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:07 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can coat them with just about any kind of oil from WD-40 to Motor oil, to Cooking oil. Then seal them in a plastic bag.

And don't worry about them gumming up - it's that gum that protects them. Add a little fuel, flip the prop a few times and the gum will be gone.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:18 AM
old git

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the help.

I was just reporting what happened to me. I understand from reading posts elsewhere and long ago in RCU that many fuels are hygroscopic (draw in moisture) and that the products of combustion in the motor are corrosive.

ORIGINAL: fokker20planes

I am really surprised you had trouble with Kerosene. I have stored engines for years in kerosene and never had any rust. There is an oil (what kind and type I'm not sure) people have used with good results for long term storage. I'm sure others will chime in here. But again the kerosene thing has me stumped. I figured it was impossible for something to rust submerged in kerosene.
I just realised that maybe I used the wrong translation from English/English to American/English. I seem to recall recall that people who ask for Petrol in their car are looked at as if they are mad. What they actually want is Gasoline. Maybe Paraffin is known as Petrol in USA?

Ignoring my difficulties over translation I still have some glow motors that have too much corrosion especially in the races to be simply cleaned, they need new bearings.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:19 AM
fokker20planes

Sorry to hear of your corrosion problems.[] I know I was not much help. I have heard of people doing what minnflyer suggested. I'm sure more suggestions are on the way. Also try the archives. I know this is a pretty popular discussion/problem.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: old git

Hi all,

Have you any advice for me. I have a number of engines that I put away FOR LATER! When I came to look at them they were gummed up. I am able to clean up many of them, some need full refurbishment but what now?

I recall the time I saved a number of small nuts and bolts by leaving them submerged in paraffin/kerosene? When I next looked they were so rusted they were cemented together with rust. I have heard of Marvel Mystery Oil but it doesn't seem to be available here in UK. Recently sorting out my workshop I found a bottle of Marvel Oil for air tools, a few drops are added to the connector before use to preserve tools when an in-line oiler is not fitted. Is this perhaps the same thing as the Marvel Mystery Oil I have seen recommended.

>The Marvel Oil for air tools is basicly the same thing as after run oil. For
>long term storage of my engines I remove the glowplug and needle valve,
>and put several good squirts of afterrun oil in the carb and turn the engine
>over several times, then I put a couple of good squirts of afterrun oil in
>the exhaust port and glowplug hole and turn the engine over a few more
>times. Then the engine, muffler (silencer) and needle valve go into a
>plastic bag and sealed with removing as much air as possible from the bag.
>This has worked very well for me.

Has anyone any advice for me about how to preserve old or indeed new motors. It is particularly a problem with my glow engines.

Thanks for looking.

old git - - - - -aka John L.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:46 PM
scratchonly

I have had NO corrosion or rust problems since using storage fogging oil from outboard motor dealers several years ago. Before that I replaced bearings in 3 0f my 4 strokes. The one I use is from OMC (evinrude, Johnson). I understand it is also available at mercury. it comes in a pressure can and costs about 7 bucks USA. I also use it as an after run oil. I modify the tip to fit fuel line. In 2 strokes you can shoot some in the carb and turn over engine several times. Hope you can find it there, search google for "storage fogging oil Britain".
Old 10-31-2006, 01:02 PM
old git

Hi Campy,

I found Marvel Air Tool Oil on eBay, when it arrived it had an address for the distributor in UK as well as the original manufacturers address..

ORIGINAL: Campy

>The Marvel Oil for air tools is basicly the same thing as after run oil. For
>long term storage of my engines I remove the glowplug and needle valve,
>and put several good squirts of afterrun oil in the carb and turn the engine
>over several times, then I put a couple of good squirts of afterrun oil in
>the exhaust port and glowplug hole and turn the engine over a few more
>times. Then the engine, muffler (silencer) and needle valve go into a
>plastic bag and sealed with removing as much air as possible from the bag.
>This has worked very well for me.
I found the wretched stuff on eBay after a looooong search, google etc. Because it may not be there all the time I thought others may be saved the loooooong search.

Thanks for everyones help.

The USA address is:-
Marvel Oil Company,
Chicago, Ill, 60638

and the UK address is:-
The Tyre Equipment Co Ltd.
Unit 1, Court Farm, Chirch Lane,

Norton, Worcester,
Worcestershire WR5 2PS,
United Kingdom.

old git - - - - - - aka John L.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:35 PM
lrtx1

I use the Marvel air tool oil as an after run oil. ATF (automatic transmission fluid) is very similar, would be a cheaper price for quanity in the storage aspect.