Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

60 size GP Aeromaster ??

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

60 size GP Aeromaster ??

Old 01-14-2003, 02:10 AM
bwindrum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60 size GP Aeromaster ??

I'm considering buying a Great Planes 60 size Aeromaster and am wondering if anyone has any imput on them, any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Bob
Old 01-14-2003, 03:16 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have built 3 of them. First one was per instructions. Long span swept back wings. I hated the scarf joints. Second one I built I did the fuse per plane but cut foam cores for the wings. Third one was a scratch built with foam core wings and a fuse that used lots of lighter weight balsa.

I powered them with a K&B .65, ASp .61, ST.61, O.S. 70fs, Saito 1.20fs. The 120 was to heavy but had loads of veritcal. The 70 was to wimpy but flew like a PT-17 trainer. The .61's worked pretty good. With the .752c or a good 90fs engines out there I think that they would be a good choice.

All of them flew very well. They can float in or tear up the sky. I liked it when I had some big ole ballon tires on it. It looked like a bush plane. When you do build it go with a servo for each ali and go with 1 ali on each wing. It would do some crazy snap rolls.

Dru.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:39 PM
KrisG

I have one with a Super Tigre S61K, turning a 13x8 Master Airscrew. It flies very well, but don't expect it to fly pattern-style ( i.e. not really "go where you point it").

Mine is with the short span wing and straight lower wing.

Glide on landing approach is better than you can normally expect from a biplane.

Same recommendation : use one servo per aileron. If I could do this again, I would also put ailerons in the top wing. The roll rate as it is, is not very high, not even with a lot of aileron deflection. This is not a Pitts or an Ultimate! Also, I did not think that knife edge performance was as great as advertised : pitch and yaw coupling with rudder input, so that's a little bit tricky. My CG is at the most rearward position, so that should not be too bad for knife edge.

A great looking airplane, realistic flight, easy transport because of compact dimensions for a 60 size plane.

Recommended!

Kris

I'll post a pic if I find a digitized one. I am just in love with the looks of this plane.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:42 PM
bwindrum

Thanks for the info guys
Old 01-14-2003, 06:51 PM
KrisG

I found 2. Here's pic #1.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	47284_19267.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	29208  
Old 01-14-2003, 06:53 PM
KrisG

and here's the second one.

Build this classic, and have fun!

Kris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	47287_19267.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	29209  
Old 01-14-2003, 07:11 PM
bwindrum

Thanks for the pics Kris. Can't help notice the lack of outer wing braces. Is this typical ??

Thanks,
Bob
Old 01-14-2003, 09:03 PM
KrisG

Bob,

According to the plan/kit, outer wing braces are optional ( i.e. cosmetic).The wing is sufficiently stiff ro fly without them, and if I can avoid additional weight and/or complexity, I can't help but do it .

I once flew a Hal DeBolt Acrobat that needed them : when I rolled, the wingtip of the top wing touched the one of the bottom wing Top wing was held in place with a lot of rubber bands, bottom one with nylon bolts.

best regards,

Kris