Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Engine mounting

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Engine mounting

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 10:19 PM
NGH00d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine mounting

Hello
I'm ready to mount the engine on my CG Tiger 2. What is the proper procedure for aquiring the proper angles. (IE: Right thrust and Down thrust) How are the degrees measured? Is it all that critical? I don't think the kit manufacturer would set these specs. if it wasn't. Some people say they shim the engine mounts. Is this a proper tecnique? Thanks for your input.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:16 AM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default Not that critical

First of all, the angles are not that critical on the sport type of plane you are building. You can just bolt on the engine pointing foward and it will fly fine. Typically, because of the direction of the prop, the designer calls for a couple degrees of right thrust. Sometimes some down thrust. You can put a washer behind the left side screws that hold the engine mount to the firewall.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:55 AM
NGH00d

Default Engine Mount

DMcQuinn
thanks for the help. I noticed the size of the craft you were posing with. I wonder if you have to set the engine thrust accordingly with that size craft. If so how is it done as there are so many variables. I know no kit wing or fuse goes together perfectly as the laser cuts are not perfect. Is it live and learn? Probably as experience writes the book! Thanks again
Old 01-14-2003, 04:43 PM
3 Channel Brain

Default Thrust angles

Am building a 4* & the angles are built into the firewall bet u the tiger 2 is the same.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:59 PM
pinball-RCU

Default Re: Thrust angles

Originally posted by 3 Channel Brain
Am building a 4* & the angles are built into the firewall bet u the tiger 2 is the same.
Not a good bet. I built one last year, and the firewall was as square as can be.

NGH00d, I don't think the angle is all that critical myself. There are many other things in the plane, like a little wing warp, or side-to-side balance, or the ailerons not being perfectly set up that will affect the flight to a greater degree than the engine side thrust.

Still, if you want to obsess on this, it's not too difficult. Get a protractor, and draw an actual sized picture of your engine as seen from above on its mount. Then draw a line down the centerline of the engine, and another line starting where the centerline hits the firewall, and pointing 2 degrees to the right. You'll see that 2 degrees is only about 1/16" off from straight at the end of the prop bolt (maybe less). Now, draw a line exactly perpendicular to the 2 degree line, intersecting it where it hits the firewall. That will tell you how thick a washer to put under the mount on one side. It'll be about 1/32" or so. When you screw the mount to the firewall, just put one washer between the mount and the firewall on the right side.

Myself, I use through bolts to mount the engine to the mount, so I just shifted the engine to the right a little as I tightened down the screws that hold the engine to the mount.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:01 PM
NGH00d

Default Engine mounting

Thanks Pinball
I know that there is no built in right thrust in the kit. I also know that it is not that critical. I guess I'm a little meticlous and it may come in handy in the future. I understood you exactly as to how it is done and I will give that a try. No Guts No Glory Thanks