Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

epoxy or gorilla glue

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

epoxy or gorilla glue

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 09:57 PM
Jon Easley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default epoxy or gorilla glue

has anyone heard of useing gorilla glue instead of epoxy thought I would ask.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: epoxy or gorilla glue

Do a search in the kit building forum for gorilla glue.

You'll be busy reading for hours.

Short answer, YES, people use it on airplanes all the time. Great for sheeting wings and foam pieces. I wouldn't use it for balsa stick framing, because I am impatient and I like thin CA for that. I usually build on a jig or get a bunch of stuff all clamped down and straight before I start glueing. Then I get out the CA bottle and put a drop here and a drop there. Glue it all up in 15 minutes.

Built up wing? Jig it up and get it all snapped together. Drop CA on it and your done in 15 minutes.

Gorilla glue has lots of uses in model airplanes.

Go over to the kit building forum and do a search at the bottom of the page. LOTS of good info.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:12 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wouldnt use it instead of epoxy. epoxy has its uses because of its strength. gorilla glue has many other uses but if there is an area that needs a good amount of strength use epoxy. on my planes i use wood glue instead of CA. the bad thing about gorilla glue is that it expands a bit when its curing.

on a side note i get my 30 minute and 5 minute epoxy from walmart. they carry both. i also will get my wood glue from there as well.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:09 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gorilla glue is the only thing I trust on my heavy duty DuBro hinges with the removable cotter pins. These are really for .60 size planes and up. When the glue expands it really adheres to the hinge and into the wood. Put a little vaseline on the hinge part and the glue will just fall off after it sets up. Havn't ever had a surface come loose yet.

Gibbs