Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Lazy Ace Wing weight?

Old 10-01-2006, 08:43 AM
topwinguk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Lazy Ace Wing weight?

Hi Lazy Ace owners

I am about to build a Lazy Ace using foam ribs and cap strips and would like to know what a typical weight is for the upper wing, film covered if possible. Anyone able to weigh theirs, could they let me know the weight please?

Tony
Old 12-01-2006, 01:16 PM
eswaney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Lazy Ace Wing weight?

I just recovered my Wing, I used a spruce spar, and capstrips as well with my constrtuction, My wing without any of the hardware for the interplane and cabanes comes in at 31oz.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58059.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	569956  
Old 12-01-2006, 01:18 PM
eswaney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I did lose my plans, if anyone has a copy to spare that would be awsome, but really i just need the cg info.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:23 AM
topwinguk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info regarding the wing weight. I assume we are talking about the 76" Lazy Ace? The CG position for that version is 5 inches back from the leading edge of the top wing. I got my plans from the RCM plans list about a year ago but I believe that although the mag is not published any more, you can still get it on line from them. I am just completing the fuselage at present and I am using an SC 91 FS to power the ship. I'm into bipes big time and have a 6 foot DeBolt Custom bipe which will be 50 years old next year. Big bipe and only powered, nowadays by a Laser 50 FS which still has enough power to take it near vertical. Had to do a rebuild last year when I had a engine out on take off and broke the fuselages's back. First major in all that time. Spent last year scratch building an Aeromaster which was a major build from scratch, looks like the Lazy Ace is much easier from progress to date.

Thanks again

Tony
Old 12-02-2006, 11:11 AM
eswaney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, this is the 76". Mine is powered with a 33cc Homelite chainsaw conversion. More than enough power, and yet I can slow her down so much that you can walk right along with it. That always impressed the guys at the field, I would bring her low and slow, buzz the field. She has a very low roll rate though and inverted flight is hard to maintain. I suppose the dihedral in the bottom wing is the reason. I thought about making a 2nd set of wings for her. Making both semisemetrical with no dihedral and maybe 15 degrees swept would perk her right up.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:36 AM
topwinguk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yea I thought about that as well, particularly the top wing sweepback. More like the Aeromaster! Maybe see how it goes after I finish this one. I have had problems also with other bipes using rubber bands so my Lazy Ace will be fitted with bolt downs.

Tony
Old 12-02-2006, 03:34 PM
mangolo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lazy Ace 76 RCM plans
basswood spars balsa ribs and capstrips
Top wing, no cover,2 coats of clear dope:26oz
Lower wing,no cover,2 coats of clear dope,ailerons covered with ultresa (koverall):28oz

Waldo