Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Sealing Monokote edges

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sealing Monokote edges

Old 09-24-2006, 12:42 PM
MikeRuth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sealing Monokote edges

HI folks, Well I'm not new to the hobby, been at it for more years than I care to mention. In the past I have built several kits and covered them with monokote, usualy the wing and painted the fuse. I always had a pretty basic covering, no fancy stuff, and thought out my edges so they didn't run against the wind.

Well I recently built a Exceleron 50 and I'm building a 90 as well. Both of them have several different colors and layers of Monokote and Gold stars on the nose. As you can imagine the stars and other edges come to points and they have begun to lift. I have ironed them back down several times but eventually they come back up.

I'd like to hear you ideas on permanently fixing the problem. I have considerd possibly some clear nail polish, or clear lacquer applied with a fine tip brush on these critical edges. I'm concerned about the finished result though, I don't want it to be obvious that something has been painted on, if possible.

Thanks to all.

Mike R
Old 09-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Sealing Monokote edges

It's the nature of the beast, in time they always seem to come up. The nail polish will work but over time it tends to yellow. I have used CA and glued them down and had good luck with that, you just can't use so much it comes out the sides. If it does then A little acetone will remove it. Other then that I haven't A clue and can't wait to hear what other builders have done.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:13 PM
GoMike

I've used clear dope with pretty good success. However, it does leave a "bump" that you can see in a reflection. I'm also anxious to hear what others have to say on the subject.

== Mike ==
Old 09-24-2006, 04:09 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean well with alcohol and then use MonoKote Solvent.

Dave
Old 09-25-2006, 12:27 PM
MikeRuth

I'm going to try the monokote solvent, Interesting they call it "solvent".
Isn't a solvent generally considerd a liquid chemical that desolves another substance?

Mike
Old 09-25-2006, 03:23 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

I've always used Acetone. I think that's the main ingredient in the Monokote trim solvent.
Also, when I have my model completed, I turn my iron up as hot as it will go and "melt" the edges slightly.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Sukhoi_Madness

ORIGINAL: MikeRuth

I'm going to try the monokote solvent, Interesting they call it "solvent".
Isn't a solvent generally considerd a liquid chemical that desolves another substance?

Mike
That's right...

And so the Monokote solvent melts the edges of the Monokote into the surface, in your instance the bottom monokote, so they effectivly become one. So the edges don't lift.

Use a cue tip or similar to apply it and less is more in this instance. If you put too much on it will mess it up.

Have fun.

Matt

[8D]
Old 09-25-2006, 04:32 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

MonoKote Solvent only acts on the adhesive layer of the covering, which also happens to be the color layer. Yes, it softens the adhesive and "activates" it. As Matt says, too much and you won't be happy.

The stuff also makes a great MonoKote cleaner. After completing a MonoKote job, I put a little on a paper towel and wipe down the covering. Takes off all those left over Sharpie guide marks and any marks left from your iron getting too hot and bleeding the covering color. At the same time, it helps to seal the seam edges.

Dave
Old 09-26-2006, 11:57 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I do the same with Acetone. It's more agressive on the adhesive and it's more easily available and cheaper.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:47 PM
spad

for what it's worth, I always finish off a film and trim covering job by running a fine brush loaded with 2-pack fuel proofer along the edges of all the overlaps and stick-on film - never have a lifting edge or corner. I use either Tufkote or Aerokote - I don't know if either are available in the US, perhaps someone could let me know.

cheers
Rick
Old 10-03-2006, 03:34 PM
flatspins1

The stuff I use is called clearcote.
I don`t know if is available in the US, but it is a fuel proofer that you can put on with a small brush.
It dries within a couple of minutes and is almost completley transparent.
Just brush it along the joins in the covering and they will never lift.
It doesn`t change colour over time, or if it`s left in the sunlight either.

Flatspins1