Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Nitro fuel Question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Nitro fuel Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 07:48 AM
chopper man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro fuel Question

Can anyone tell me how long you can let fuel sit before it goes bad? I want to buy in volume for the better price. Just don't know how long it will take to use it all.
Thanks
chopper man
Old 10-18-2006, 08:14 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Nitro fuel Question

Chopper Man,
If stored properly nitro glow fuels can easy be stored for years with no problems. Probably the biggest factor for storage is to keep it in a tightly sealed container to prevent moisture from entering. The original bottle is probably the best thing to store it in, and if you're planning on storing don't even open the bottles. Additionally, a cool storage location away from sunlight will also help out a lot.

I've personally seen fuel that was stored for 5 years run with no problems, and I know of others that have used fuel older than that with no problems either.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 10-18-2006, 08:38 AM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

I found a gallon of 15% Coolpower in my garage while cleaning this spring.
It had been opened. But, the plastic plug had been put back in.
That gallon was put in my garage when i moved. That was 6 years ago!
Also, I believe it was a couple of years old when I moved!

I ran that gallon out this summer on a couple of 40-60 size engines.
There were absolutely no problems from using it.
Even though several club members told me not to use it.
(they had some great horror stories, yes stories, I really don't believe them!)

So, how long will it last? at least several years if properly stored.
Doug
Old 10-27-2006, 07:55 AM
chopper man

One more quick question. Can you mix different brands of fuel if the mixture is the same? Example: 15% with 15%. Or is this a bad idea.
Thanks
chopper man
Old 10-27-2006, 08:55 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Fuel is fuel and the ingredients often are similar or the same. However, mixing may require needle valve changes. As for buying in bulk, if the supplier will allow it, choose quarts rather than gallons. I do this for my boat fuel (I get 12 gallons at a time). Doing it this way allows me to open a quart at a time instead of a full gallon. This reduces the amount that's left open between races, or over the winter.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:48 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can you buy bulk fuel? Can I get Byron fuel in bulk? How much of a discount is there generally?

Thanks,

Gibbs
Old 10-27-2006, 01:18 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

[link=http://www.byronfuels.com]www.bryronfuels.com[/link] . They have a lot of info on thier site, but I don't see any info on bulk purchases. Their phone number is 712-364-3165, give them a call and ask them.

Ken
Old 10-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Newc

Probably the best way to buy fuel in large (above a gallon at a time) volume quantities - as the original poster was mentioning - is at Toldeo. I've never been able to find any other prices that are even close to what is available anywhere else. Not sure that I would buy in 'bulk' and go through the hassles of transfering to useable size containers, etc. with the prices that I can buy cases of one gallon containers for at Toledo.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:18 PM
john_s3
My Feedback: (1)

I will shake the gallon befor using it.I am running some 15% that is 4 years old.I did add a pint of freash stuff just because.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:57 AM
scratchonly

I found a new gallon of coolpower in my garage that had to be at least 15 years old. It was stored out of the light on a cool cement floor. Ran it out this year with no problems.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:18 AM
Rod Bender

A side question here...... Does anyone use Red Max fuel? I was told by a member that its the best for 4 strokes. I went to their site: http://members.aol.com/FHSoil/RMprice06.html and it sounds like they have a solid customer base in all arena's of this sport. Also buying in bulk there is a discount, and if you get some club members to go in on a certain LARGE amount, the shipping is free, or thats what I was told. I have an email into them now inquiring. Any Red Max fans out their?

Thanks, Greg
Old 11-02-2006, 07:30 AM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: Rod Bender

A side question here...... Does anyone use Red Max fuel? I was told by a member that its the best for 4 strokes. I went to their site: http://members.aol.com/FHSoil/RMprice06.html and it sounds like they have a solid customer base in all arena's of this sport. Also buying in bulk there is a discount, and if you get some club members to go in on a certain LARGE amount, the shipping is free, or thats what I was told. I have an email into them now inquiring. Any Red Max fans out their?

Thanks, Greg
I use Red Max in my boats. Works just like any other fuel. I tend to use Omega in my planes because that's what I can get locally. However, since the nearest hobby shop has gone under, I'll probably just add some plane fuel to my Red Max orders from now on.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Rod Bender

Thanks Chuck,

Got a reply from Red Max this morning, 10% discount on 24 or more gallons purchased. NO free shipping on the 124gal orders anymore. What is the freight charge on your orders? how much do you buy at a time?

Thanks Greg
Old 11-02-2006, 11:06 PM
piper_chuck

I usually buy 12 gallons at a time, that gives the first big price cut. Last time I got a bonus. They ended up sending me 13 gallons for the price of 12. I can't remember the shipping charge, but remember, I'm only 1 state away.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:52 PM
rctrax

I get awfully tired of hearing the term "nitro fuel" when refering to glow fuel. Nitro is merely an additive sometimes used in the makeup of glow fuel. Glow fuel is closer to the proper term.