Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

TX-Channel Question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

TX-Channel Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 07:17 PM
Snowman222

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TX-Channel Question

I have a Basic 4 channel "Expert" radio which is on ch-58.This radio is compatible with JR.I want to upgrade to a JR X-378 computer radio.If I find a JR which has a different channel crystal,Can I simply remove my crystal from my Expert radio and install it in the JR? Thanks in advance for any help....
Old 01-12-2003, 09:09 PM
BingoFlyer

Can I simply remove my crystal from my Expert radio and install it in the JR?

Probably.

Would it be legal?

No!

The FCC requires that changing crystals be done by a licensed operator, you could do it (and it is done all the time) but then it may not work. I am not familiar with the Expert radio so can not tell you for sure that it would work.

If these two radios have modules instead of crystals for frequency control it would be legal for you to make the change, I would contact JR and ask them before I bought a radio of different frequency if that is a priority.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:28 PM
Snowman222

Thanks for your reply Bingo Flyer.I didn't realize there would be a FCC issue.I'm starting my 3rd year in this hobby,loving it by the way.I'm slowly picking up knowledge of this hobby as I go.I have 6 planes now,all on channel 58.I guess my only choices are: Buy a brand new radio or luckily come across a good deal on one on RCU that is my channel (58).Silly question,a person can choose the channel when buying a new radio? Thanks again. Snowman. AMA-718656
Old 01-14-2003, 03:08 PM
BingoFlyer

Snowman;

Yes you can pick your channel but if you find a good price on your radio it may not be a bad idea to send it back to JR or change the reciever crystal (check with JR on how far you can change receiver freq. without retuning as that requires you sending the receiver in). I never take planes to the field with the same frequency if one channel is busy I fly the other (we have about 200 members).
Old 01-15-2003, 10:02 PM
Snowman222

Bingo, Thanks a bunch for your reply and help.I'll definitely check out all the details before I buy one.I'm in no hurry.I usually take care of my Q & A at my flying club,but the weather lately has hindered that. It sure is convenient to use RCU. Thanks again.