Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Lost art of glassing a warbird

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Lost art of glassing a warbird

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 06:28 PM
tfarmer96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lost art of glassing a warbird

i did a test wing and was surprised how little weight it added. the key is to do it correctly. its like building a kit. if you glob on glue and epoxy and dont clean it off well it turns into a brick. I do think repair might be a bit more of a pain with glass, but i will deal with that when the time comes.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:25 PM
iron eagel

Repairs are pretty easy.
You remove the damaged are replace structure and sheathing as needed. Sand it down good feather the existing glass edges the put on the new glass overlapping the feathered edge. Sand smooth after it hardens put on a second coat of epoxy, then sand and paint.
But you will be surprised at how rugged a glassed airplane is, it will take a good deal more abuse then any other finish.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:30 AM
dude7422

dont for get to bake 170-210 should be good hahaha no one bakes any more i wonder if the wings worp over time with out the bake mmmm[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 12-08-2006, 07:22 PM
iron eagel

ORIGINAL: dude7422

dont for get to bake 170-210 should be good hahaha no one bakes any more i wonder if the wings worp over time with out the bake mmmm[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Gee, I thought that was just to cure the older type of resins.
I did not notice any warp in the last two wings I have done (yet) I will have to keep an eye on that...