Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering a fuel soaked plane

Old 10-07-2006, 10:47 AM
kilmerelrc
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Covering a fuel soaked plane

Ok so I have a Tower KAOS. It has been a wonderful plane but the factory low-temp covering is junk. After a summer of flying, half of the covering is falling off of the fuselage. I have torn most of it off and going to replace it with Monokote. Problem is, parts of the fuselage are soaked with fuel. Can I just scrub these areas with alcohol or is there a better way to prepare the surface for covering so that the Monokote will stick. Oh ya.... I want it to be as easy and cheap as possible.
Thanks
Old 10-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Flying freak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Covering a fuel soaked plane

Is the wood sugy or soft like it has completly absorbed the fuel. I have been told that if the wood if socked to the point were it gets sogy it need to be replaced.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:18 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can spray the wood with K2R Spot remover and it will pull aot of the oil out of the wood. Good Luck, Dave
Old 10-07-2006, 08:33 PM
kilmerelrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It is not damp just a little dis-colored. I will try the K2R on it. I am building a prop-jet that I will be glassing so I am going to be practicing on the KAOS. I am going to try the poly-glass process. I am also going to a standard landing gear set up instead of a tri with the KAOS.
Thanks for the help.

Kilmerelrc
Old 10-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You will need to use several applications of K2R, PLUS heating the area with a heat gun to get the oil to rise to the surface. If K2R is not available, corn starch also works well.

After you have gotten as much of the oil as possible out of the wood, give it a coat of "Balsarite" or SIG "Stix-It" (preferred ) before recovering. Both products will seal the wood to prevent any residual oil from effecting the covering adhesive, plus they will provide additional adhesive to hold the covering.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:52 PM
kdc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Putting talcum powder on the affected parts and leaving for a couple of weeks draws out most of the oil and you can scrape the oily talc off. Then use thicks tissues and a warm iron to get out any remaining.

Dont bother trying to recover with an iron on material it will never stay down for long because the heat draws up more oil. Far better to re-cover with dope and tissue or dope and nylon in the traditional way. Basically you give the model a coat of dope, leave to dry. Soak the tissue or nylon in water and wring out the excess water. Then when you place the damp tissue or nylon on the model it clings like a magnet, smooth it out and dope over it even though it is still damp. The dope evaporates the water as it dries. Open stuctures need pinning down to avoid warping. With veneered foam wings you need to ensure there are no gaps that allow the dope to penetrate to the foam. See the text books for full info about making neat overlaps etc.

This dope & tissue is also just the thing for patching up small areas of film covered models.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:26 AM
kilmerelrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The only store in town that caries K2R is out until later this week. I decided to just heat the area with a heat gun and was able to wick most of the fuel out. I then scrubbed the area with alcohol and heated it again for more wicking. This seemed to work well and dry the area out. I have since glassed the plane with 3/4 glass cloth and polycrylic. It is holding great. Thank you all for the advise. Kilmerelrc
Old 10-10-2006, 07:35 AM
heli_Rod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Try using good ole baking soda on the wood. You will be amazed how well it pulls the oil out of the wood. Just cover the affected area and wait. Brush off the saturated baking soda and apply clean baking soda until the wood is dry. I used to use it when I had a fuel tank split and fill the plane with fuel. It really works and is cheap. Balsarite applied over stubborn areas will also help the covering stick.

Rod