Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Odd size props

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 10:26 AM
iflircaircraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd size props

Hello All:
I need a 16x4 prop or equiv. I'm NOT using it for 3D or FUN FLYING. I want to prop my engine to lower it's speed. I'm flying a Corsair with a 1.00 Evolution and it flies too fast (for me). Anyone with some links would be appreciated.
I am also considering a 3 blade equivalent.
Thanks in advance.

Happy Flying

Tom
Old 10-12-2006, 11:43 AM
iflircaircraft

Default RE: Odd size props

I forgot to mention that I'm currently using a 14x6-2 blade (APC). I have a 14x7-3 blade (MAS) in house but not sure if I should go up in pitch.

Happy Flying

Tom
Old 10-12-2006, 12:14 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

What ever happened to throttle management?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:25 PM
iflircaircraft

LOL.....WHAT'S THAT??? Just kidding. I hear ya.... I use it, but I feel uncomfortable flying a plane at 1/3 throttle or even less.

Happy Flying

Tom
Old 10-12-2006, 03:10 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess you mean slow the PLANE speed and not the ENGINE speed, as a lower pitch prop will allow engine to spin faster, but will slow the flight speed. Careful how much you slow it down, Corsairs and most WWII planes are meant to fly on the fast side. Slow down too much, you'll find yourself in a stall during a turn, or on approach. If you're uncomfortable flying as fast as the Corsair flies, get a plane intended for slower flight until you're used to it. If, by chance, you have H-9's Corsair, it will fly fairly well slowed down; seems like all their warbirds fly very controllably at slow speeds.

Try running the Evo with the 3 blade 14-7. The extra pitch and blade may limit the rpms to a point it actually flies slower than the 14-6 2 blade does. Tach it and see, or try flying it, and keep your foot out of it. You'll certainly have climb power, though. I use the 14-7 3-blade on my WACO with a 1.00 Saito.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:31 PM
iflircaircraft

I'll try the 3-blade 14x7.
The Corsair is the CMP 1.20 size, 75.5" wingspan. I've landed it dead stick twice already, I have to adjust the low end needle,and it glides fairly well for a warbird.
I also fly four Bipes so I'm used to flying in on approach. I also have a Top Flite 182 Skylane with flaps and can land that at a crawl and have landed it litterally 'hands off' on a calm evening.
Lastly, I may have to replace the 1.00 Evolution with my 91 Surpass,but I like the way the evolution fits totally inside the cowl, or maybe the RCV 90 SP, but that needs a completely different mounting. Decisions, Decisions.

Tom
Old 10-14-2006, 11:45 AM
carrellh

You might try the APC 15x4W
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFGW1&P=M
or the 16x4W
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFGW4&P=M
Just because the description says “3D” doesn’t mean that’s the only way to use it.
The 14x6 you’re currently using is a “Pattern” prop; whatever that means.

Using the ‘load’ numbers ThrustHP calculates, the 3 blade equivalent to you 14x6 would be a 14x4. Of course, you cannot buy a 14x4 three blade.

The 14x7 three blade has similar load numbers to 16x6 or 15x8 two blades.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:16 PM
iflircaircraft

Thanks to all for your input. I guess I'll have a decison to make. Use what I have and use "throttle management" or go with the RCV90SP although the RCV needs a 18x12 2 blade or a 15.5x13 3 blade.

Happy Flying

Tom