Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Spraying Clear Coat

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Spraying Clear Coat

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:47 AM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spraying Clear Coat

I've finished my first big spray painting job and the finish came out ok. I'm debating whether to clear coat it or not. It's been painted with Behr's semi gloss interior paint using a Porter Cable HVLP gun and the plane is gas, not glow. What would be the reasons to clear coat it? If I clear coat it, I would like to use Varathane waterbased poly unless someone has a better suggestion in a waterbased product. Does it have to be thinned? How many coats and how thick should the coats be?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Chuck
Old 10-12-2006, 09:10 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spraying Clear Coat

I recently finished a latex paint job on my glow plane. I used the Varathane Diamond Spar Urethane. This was a necessity on a glow plane, but I understand that it is not such a conscern with gas. It will still add a little more scratch resistance, but will add more weight. I applied it straight from a spray can. If you do choose to use it, be sure to let the latex dry for about a week (or even two if you have the patience).

Scott
Old 10-12-2006, 09:12 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spraying Clear Coat

Oops, double posted.
Scott