Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Super Sportster 90-120

Old 10-13-2006, 11:01 AM
Rod Bender

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Super Sportster 90-120

I just got a Super Sportster with engine from a friend. It’s the old kit version with a 72" wingspan, powered with a Super Tigre 2300.

The plane was built with solid metal pushrods, 1 for the rudder, and 2\1ea for the elev's. Is this going to be a problem with the antenna because of them running parallel?

Should I replace the metal pushrods with dowel?

Will standard Futaba servo’s be enough for this plane?

Any input greatly appreciated..... Thanks, Greg
Old 10-13-2006, 05:25 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Super Sportster 90-120

Greg, I have many hours on one with a St 90. I have 3 metal pushrods in the tail like you described. I don't have any trouble with the radio. I use standard servos in mine also. The AILEs are so small the standard servo is plenty. They also seam to be plenty on the elevators. If you do a lot of knife edge you may have to upgrade the rudder servo a bit. Check the clevises on the tail. If they are metal be sure a jam nut is used. My buddy lost his when the rudder clevis slipped and then stuck full deflection. We used jam nuts or Hays clevises from then on. You are going to love this plane. I don't fly mine as much as I should. It's been in my hanger for 10 years. I have not flown it in two years or so. Talking about it make me want to fly it again.

David
Old 10-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Rod Bender

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

David,

Thanks for the comeback!!! Good to hear the metal pushrods have not been a problem, saves me some work. As for the clevis's, I use threaded 4/40 rod & clevis and solder them at the servo, jam nut at the tail, it has always been bullet proof.

Good to know standards will do the job as well. The Futaba 3004's with a 6V 1100mAh battery should work fine.

As soon as I figure out, and work out all the bugs with the ST 2300 carb issues I will put her up in the air. I've always wanted one, and can't wait to fly it. I was shocked to find out my buddy has had it for 6yrs, and its just sat in a bedroom full of planes, never flown, never even fired the engine. Servo's were never installed. Fully built and ready though.

So, what is the wingspan on yours David? and what size engine do you have? I know the 2300 is overkill, but have heard that its a screaming beast once you break'er inn .....

Again, thanks for the input, any and all is appreciated ....... Thanks, Greg
Old 10-15-2006, 10:42 AM
daveopam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mine is the 72" span. It's a 90/120 kit I built 10 years ago. my buddy and I both built one and covered them the same. We were going to try some formation flying. We were getting pretty good when he stuffed his. He got busy after that and has now quit flying. Anyway mine is powered by a Super Tigre 90. It gives enough power but vertical is not unlimited. It was a great performer 10 years ago. By todays standards it lacks a little power. Your servos on a 6V pack should be perfect. I run old S-148s with the ball bearing conversion tops. These are plenty on a 4.8v so your 6v is more than I have. I think I have a pic of my fleet I tokk last month. I will try to post it below. The SS is easy to pick out.

david
Old 10-15-2006, 10:44 AM
daveopam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well it doesn't show up as good as I thought it would. It's in the middle of the pack. Dark red with white starburst.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67921.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	541387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74418.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	541388  
Old 10-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Rod Bender

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice assortment of birds,

I learned to fly RC back in the 70's, flew through the late 90's then hung it up until this past January. Going from my old trainer plane with a ST 29, I now have 7 planes, so I've expanded 6 planes in 9 months. I know the 2300 is overkill, but it came powered that way, and...... I like to fly fast anyways. I will try to take a pic tomorrow of the Super Sportster and post it ..... Greg
Old 10-16-2006, 06:08 PM
daveopam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Do that when you get a chance Greg. I would like to see a pic. Mine has some hanger rash on it. If I can get a good pic I will take it. It only has a little wood damage but the covering is so old it popped loose. I don't think the big Tigre is to much for it. I like to have plenty of power.

David