Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

OS 160FX

Old 10-15-2006, 06:03 AM
flapper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default OS 160FX

I am looking at adding a pump unit to my OS 160FX. Will the OS PD-06 pump for the OS 140FX fit and if so will it be suitable to supply adequate fuel at varying rpm.

Thanks
Old 10-15-2006, 06:13 AM
alan0899

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: OS 160FX

G'day Mate,
Why exactly do you need a pump on the OS160FX, what sort of problems are you having?
I have a 160 & I have never needed a pump, just simple muffler pressure.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:47 AM
flapper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Muffler pressure - pumped - fuel injection.........natural progression for improved performance. Just looking at improving capability of the engine. Also provide better options for fitting of fuel tank. Like to experiment and try different set ups. Currently running one with muffler pressure in a CMPRO Yak 54 (140). Runs well after increasing air flow around head for beter cooling.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:54 AM
alan0899

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

G'day Again Mark,
I had one in a CMPro Katana until I had a switch failure a few weeks ago, It is now going in a Giles 202, brilliant motor, Sorry can't help with the pump question, mine runs great with only muffler pressure, as previously stated.
Enjoy.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:03 AM
greyfoxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Flapper - I cannot give any response to your question about using the OS PD06 pump for your 140 on the 160, but I know of several flyer's where I live that use the Perry Pump for 2 strokes on the 160 and it does wonders for it, especially if the clunk in the tank is more than 8 inches from the carburetor. This allows one to mount the tank in the best position relative to the CG and that CG not changing as the fuel is used. One fly's a Somonini Yak and says that it made all the differenced in the world mounting the tank over the CG.

I do have a question however. How do you like your CMP Yak 140? I have one that I will begin working on sometime this fall, and yes, have an OS 160FX to use on it, along with a Perry Pump. When looking at the full scale Yak 54, one notices that the spinner and backplate of the prop protrudes a ways from the cowling(see attachment). I plan on mounting mine so that there is 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch distance between the cowl and prop backplate to allow for cooling. Of course, I will have to have adequate openings for the air to exit from the cowl. Just wondered how you went about !QUOT!airing!QUOT! yours out, and how your plane flies, and if you have any recommendations on set up, particularly since there are no directions, only the exploded view plans
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78458.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	541318  
Old 10-16-2006, 12:26 AM
flapper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,
Have been flying the Yak for a couple of months now and goes ok. Had to do a bit of strengthening inside around the undercarriage formers. Too flimsy if left untouched. Also glassed inside behind the firewall as was doubtful as to the bonding between it and the front fibreglass section. Also added some hardwood stringers between the firewall and next bulkhead.

The cowl also requires strengthening. I added some glass with epoxy inside. I also had to add about 300 grammes to help nachieve correct CG for good stable flight. This was in addition to the receiver and on board glow battery mounted up in engine compartment. The throttle servo is also up front. I also added a 20 oz tank.

Wings are held on with a screw through the wing about 1 inch in from the end of the spar. Hardwood insert epoxied into tube. Mixed up some microballoons and epoxy to push through hole in wing to fill gap between wing spar/epoxy tube and wing sheeting.

Apart from that I am reasonably happy with the plane. I only have 6 flights with it on the OS 160. We are having a bit of a speed comp at our club so I am looking at top speed. We have set a prop standard of 18 x 6w. At the moment my Yak is doing 193km/h but am looking at 200 to 210. Hopefully it will stay in one piece. One of my friends had one with a Saito 180 in it and the rear tail plane spar actually snapped in half and the right stabilizer and elevator fell off in flight. Ouch.

Unfortunatley mine wing tip stalled on landing last wednesday with my 15y son on the sticks. He flies very good but caught him out. Grazed the cowl, scuffed up both wing tips and fractured both fibreglass landing gear. The landing gear is rubbish. Why they didn't make them from aluminium is anybodies guess. Cost maybe. Has anyone tried fitting any of the other manufactures aluminium gear?

Oh, re cooling, had to cut hole in side as the OS was overheating and losing power. I am only using 10% nitro and after 5 minutes the power would drop right off. Also had some idle issues after throwing it around but the on board glow proved it's worth reigniting on a couple of stall turns. Fixed that problem by adjusting idle mixture with no stall since.
Have added a few pics for info.

Regards
Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85833.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	541859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80938.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	541860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39501.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	541861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97571.jpg
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	541862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh59130.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	541863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tk76994.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	541864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pr24100.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	541865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dc97460.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	541866  

Old 10-16-2006, 03:06 PM
sedrick

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Search under )S 160 and perry pump and cline regulator on the glow engine site for a detailed disscussion of this engine and its problems. I have 2 one needed a cline regulator and since has been a faithful performer. The other has run very well on muffler pressure alone.
they tend to need a pump or regulator if there is a long fuel draw or if the tank is lower than the carb. Saying that a friend has 6 of these and feels that muffler pressure and tuning is all you have to do. He has a great planes 232 that has its tank on the CG and it runs very well. I needed the Cline regulator to get mine to run. Individual engines seem to need more help than others
Old 10-18-2006, 05:46 AM
greyfoxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mark,

You really have given me some valuable information about the CMP Yak, and I hope that I have in some way been helpful to you as well. That's what these forums are all about, and I have really found them to be quiet helpful.
It's a great looking plane, although it apparently builds a bit heavy. Building using the exploded view plans rather than an instruction book will be a bit different.
You say you used screws to secure your wings; did you reinforce that area? I'm not too fond of using the springs my self. If you have a photo of how you did that, it would be quiet helpful, and what you have supplied is very valuable information.
I have already decided that the battery and perhaps other items will have to be mounted forward of the firewall also, based upon information from others that have built the model. I hope to stay away from adding "dead"weight however.
Thanks for the information and feedback - keep me informed as to anything to watch for in putting it together or in flying it. You can send e-mails direct to me at greyfoxx@bellsouth.net if there is any information I might be able to share with you, or if you have anything further for me.

Have a great day, and remember; "Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later!!"

Phillip