Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

the shakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 02:46 AM
kahn41
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the shakes

Anyone out there have the shakes when flying, AKA tremers. I am getting to the point where I can only fly a couple of circuts then I must land due to shaking! I can sit at the dinner table and my hands shake..My doctor gave me some Beta blockers to help! I know this dont have much to do with R/C but I am just wondering of the thousands of flyers in these forums how many of us have this little problem............
Greg
Old 10-13-2006, 03:23 AM
perreback

Default RE: the shakes

Well, my hands used to shake a lot when I was flying solo for the first couple of times, simply due to nervousness. Now, not so much --- *maybe* when doing the maiden flight with a new model.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:29 AM
alan0899

G'day Mate.
A lot have the problem, but not many admit to it, they usually blame "radio interference" for their crashes, or not so pretty flying & landings, when it is usually thumb interference, & nerves.
I get nervous too, especially when I have to maiden a new plane for someone else, which I do a lot, but I just check everything to the best of my ability, breath deeply, & trust myself, I'm all I've got to help me.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:37 AM
Divesplat
My Feedback: (7)

I have a buddy that shakes and he still competes in Pattern.

Couple of ideas for you to help.

1) Use more expo so when your hands shake the problem isn't translated into poor flying.

2) Another trick would be to buy longer gimbal sticks for your radio. With longer sticks it takes more movement of the stick to get the plane to do the same thing, so again, hides your hands shaking.

3) A radio tray (not just neck strap). If you have a tray, the radio sets in, your shaking may be easier to control as the hands aren't holding on to anything. Just rest them beside the radio, and let your fingers do the flying.

These may or may not help but if you enjoy flying it may be worth a try.

My Grandad had a buddy with Parkensons, and still was able to golf, amazingly. Prior to each swing, the head of his club was almost violently moving, but with practice and getting into a rhythm, he would swing and played pretty well for his age. He just had to work at it.

Good luck
ed
Old 10-13-2006, 03:41 AM
parrthd

i got like that when i first got into the hobby but i ruled it down to not eating anything before i went to the field (overly exciting i was getting to go fly, and nerves just not letting my stomach accept anything.) i still get the shakes a bit when i maiden a new plane or when i take one that i haven't flown for a while (at least the first flight or two).

if it doesn't get any better i would consider talking to your doctor a bit further about it. this could be something needing treatment with something other than a beta blocker.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:24 AM
greyfoxx

I've been flying now for two years, and I have found that when I try a new maneuver to me, or I have a problem with taking off or landing in a crosswind, I will still develop the shakes on occasions, and in particular when maidening a new plane. You might consider what I and others do at our flying field. We have movable protective barriers in the shape of a !QUOT!V!QUOT! that protrude from the protective fence that runs parallel with our grass field. We will move those !QUOT!V!QUOT! shaped barriers to a position in front of one of the fence post that is about 3 feet high, and then lean against that fence in a semi standing-sitting position. It is amazing what it will do to help relax you. You might consider giving this a try. If the problem persist, consider the advise PARRTHD has given you.

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, and the lesson later!
Old 10-13-2006, 09:39 AM
parrthd

couldn't have thought of a better way of saying it myself
Old 10-13-2006, 11:57 AM
JimInCA

I do now after having three midairs in two years...
Jim...
Old 10-13-2006, 12:26 PM
parrthd

ouch! i thought one of our flyers had bad luck after crashing 4 planes in a week...........midairs just don't happen that much. i haven't talked to many ppl that's had or seen one........let alone HAD THREE in TWO YEARS!!!

your luck sounds typical of my own
Old 10-13-2006, 02:47 PM
kahn41

Parrthd
I had a full phisical when I went in to the doctor he found nothing other than tremers.
I think I may write this off as exciment and try to relax during flight as suggested.....
Maybe I can overcome this..
The blockers do help though!!!
Old 10-13-2006, 04:37 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on a mild tranquilizer for stress from my business. I worry about everything all the time and when it got bad I'd have a panic attack and start shaking and thought I was having a heart attack. To the point, ask your Doctor, maybe if you tell him whats going on he might be able to help. I'm not saying you should start taking drugs everyday but there might be something very mild that will help you only when you go flying. You don't want to fly until you see how it affects you. I know other pilots that have gone to their Doctors and they got help for it. After awhile they didn't find they needed anything anymore. Good luck.

Gibbs
Old 10-13-2006, 08:37 PM
kahn41

Its not only when i fly, it happens thru out the day not all the time. I did tell the doc that it happens more when I fly and this is what he prescribed! It does help. I am in good phyiscal condition for my age and don't like taking drugs, but if it helps or if I can learn to control it, the med's are a must! this is starting to sound like a doctors office forum But if it helps me it will also benefit others with similar problems.
Greg
Old 10-13-2006, 11:42 PM
impactiq
My Feedback: (57)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree with Divesplat on the transmitter tray. I use to fly with a friend who had a stroke. One of the side effects was the "shakes". Through trial and error... he found that a transmitter tray with soft pads glued on both side really helped out. By not holding the Tx, the weight of his hands resting on the pads would dampen the movement (shakes) and make flying more enjoyable for him.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:45 AM
muzzlemaggot
My Feedback: (7)

I do what Parrthd said; eat something before you go out. I used to shake so bad in the morning if I didn't eat, especially if I'd been drinking a bit the night before. It's amazing what a little nutrition can do for a guy.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:22 PM
haasjj

ORIGINAL: greyfoxx

greyfoxx that is so dead on true I am going to have to steal that line [:-]
Old 10-15-2006, 07:55 PM
kahn41

I'll try eating before i go fly I am only use to eating once a day and thats dinner! seeing as winter is almost here, all this will have to wait till spring. Christmas right around the corner Now I have to focus on presents, just ordered a futaba 6 channel radio for my son who soloed 2 weeks ago with just 3 hrs of training with an instructor, not too bad.
I will also try the radio tray for more stability and learn to be more comfortable when flying, sometime's that corsair flies me rather than me flying it. I'm sure most of you warbird pilots know what I'm talking about.
Greg
Old 10-15-2006, 10:50 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

I get the shakes on the maiden and first few flights of a plane. Not drinking coffee helps me.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:48 PM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

After seeing this thread I thought I was the only one that has the shakes. I know my shakes is part of my family, my mom side to be exact. Everyday I'm asked if I'm nervous or something, nope its just me. When any kind of anxiety exists, either good or bad sometimes all hell breaks loose. I remember I was going to maiden a new plane and my rates were off and it was real touchy. Started getting nervous and then my knees started knocking then my hands just went haywire and dropped the remote. Luckily another flyer was watching me fly and quickly picked up the transmitter and regained control and landed the plane. He thought i had Parkinson's's disease. Unfortunatly my health insurance hasn't kicked in, so ill have to wait to see the doctor. I can tell you, it is a pain in the ***** to live with. You know how hard it is to solder servo leads when your hand cant keep the dang iron on the wire? haha..
Old 10-16-2006, 12:22 AM
kahn41

You are not alone now, I get them quite bad at times! Let me tell you it makes for a tricky landing. But I am going to try alot of these replys and see if it helps!