Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Crushing control horn mount

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Crushing control horn mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 02:04 AM
RVM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crushing control horn mount

I just installed some DuBro HD 40-91 control horns on an ARF (Fliton Extra 330) and after I had them set, I noticed that it crushed the mount point a bit (about 1cm thick balsa or something - hard to tell on an ARF - might have been balsa sandwiched between some very thin hardwood). After I had drilled the holes for them I hardened the area with thin CA. They're on there tight right now, but should I or will I have to replace these mounts in the future? Is this anything to be concerned about right now? Should I go ahead and replace them now? Bleh I'd hate to do that.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2006, 03:33 AM
alan0899

Default RE: Crushing control horn mount

G'day Mate,
Sounds fine to me, I always seem to crush the mounts a bit, keeps everthing tight when you need it. just check it after first flight, as I'm sure you do with everything on a new plane, It should be fine.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:51 AM
Newc

Seems to me that there's no hardwood between the mounting washers. Is there any? Did you add any? Hardeneing with CyA is fine for a lightweight control horn on a solid balsa surface, or for strengthening a screw thread, but not for a single bolt control horn like the DuBro HD .91 (catalogue #913) horns. Before flying it I would make sure - a simple test 'wiggle' - that the horns are not just tight, but that you aren't able to further deform the mounting area by holding the horn and trying to move the control surface with a fairly strong arm.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:29 PM
RVM

Yeah I tried the wiggle test. It's very solid.

It's the first time I've done this as I tend to build most of my planes and use solid hardwood for horn mounts.

I guess I'll just fly like this and keep an eye on it.