Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Glass engine mounts-what fasteners?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Glass engine mounts-what fasteners?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 06:15 PM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glass engine mounts-what fasteners?

Mounting an 80 size FS on a glass mount where I can not use a nut-can't get to it. Question is which is the better, best way to bolt the engine on, sheet metal screws or tap the mount and use bolts? Bill
Old 10-12-2006, 06:39 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Glass engine mounts-what fasteners?

Tap the mount and use bolts with spring washer. Since you can't use a lock nut (for whatever reason), use a little threadlock on each bolt
Old 10-12-2006, 07:00 PM
aerowoof

sheet metal screws are self locking in a glass filled mount,size depends on engine lug holes use the largest that will fit thru the hole #6 or 8 1" long smaller engines use smaller screws,been using them for over 30 years with no failures ,they used to come with the mount when you bought it.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:15 PM
scratchonly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with screws, but you must drill the correct pilot holes. They hold like glue.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:30 PM
da Rock

Beauty of screws is they won't loosen up. If a bolt loosens a little, it'll loosen completely.

And they don't require much dexterity to use. You don't have to get the washers and nuts started. You don't have to somehow hold the nut while trying to tighten the bolt while trying to hold the airplane while the wind is blowing and the grass is waiting for you to give it something to hide.

Thinking back over 50+ years of modeling, I can remember losing nuts and washers and bolts at the field. I can't remember losing any screws. Why? They didn't come loose and they certainly didn't get lost. That tell ya' something?
Old 10-16-2006, 10:24 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

I'd caution against thread lock as some will soften the plastic. Been there, done that!
Old 10-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Threadlock will soften some plastics, true, but it will also make other kinds brittle. You'll find your mount breaking into pieces.

Best to avoid it altogether with plastic mounts. The drill pilot holes and sheet-metal screws is the best solution. Get a bunch of screws, though. Sometimes, they are very hard to install, even with the right-sized hole. You ruin the head in the process. Just remove it and put a new one in. It will go in farther before it becomes too tight. Repeat the process as often as necessary until the engine's fully-secured.

The old Kraft-Hayes mounts had this problem. I'd sometimes ruin 3-4 screws to get one to get fully-tight. Then again, it could also have been a bad screwdriver. You need to have a properly-fitting screwdriver in the slotted-head screws so you don't ruin them too easily.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:12 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Socket-head sheet metal screws are readily available in most hardware stores. For a few pennies more, you get a screw that won't shear off, sharper threads that cut in better, and a head that will last much longer.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:44 AM
aerowoof

put soap on the screw threads as a lubricant makes it easier installing the screws