Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Need Help Sealing Shrink Film

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Need Help Sealing Shrink Film

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 12:27 AM
propjobbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Sealing Shrink Film

I have decided to cover with cloth and paint because I can’t get film to hold. I have used different types of shrink film, but mostly Tower Coat. After I fly for a while the film begins to lift from fuel. I always wash the plane after flights, but the film won’t stay down.

I have never had a cloth or Silkspan covering that wouldn’t stat attached. Is there any way to seal the plastic film so it won’t come loose from fuel creep? I’ve been told to paint all the edges with clear nail polish, I have also been told that if I use thinned epoxy along the edges it will hold down the film.

Has anyone found a way to make the film stick so it won’t come loose? It’s a lot of work to recover a plane that has had fuel creep under the covering.. Is there such a thing as being able to cover with plastic film and have it hold up over the years? If you can direct me in the right way please help me.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2006, 10:23 AM
kdc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need Help Sealing Shrink Film

The manufacturers of Solarfilm make a product called Clearcoat which can be used to coat the edges after covering. This dries invisibly.

Clearcoat should also be used around vulnerable/ tricky areas before covering. Obviously you leave it to dry before covering. It should work with other makes of film, but try a test piece first.

Edges that are tricky to iron can be fixed down with acetone etc applied with a small brush.
I prefer to work outdoors when using Clearcoat or acetone to avoid inhaling them.

Clearcoat is easily obtained in England and I would expect it to be avail in USA too.

Frankly Solartex or similar coverings are easier to stick the edges down than films. But slightly heavier.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:12 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need Help Sealing Shrink Film

I always have my planes covered with Solartex and then prime and paint them. Then I put on any pin-stripping and the decals . Then 2 or 3 coats of automotive clear coat. Then 3 coats of turtle wax. They look great and nothing will ever come off.

Gibbs