Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Just for fun, anyone actually log your time?

Old 10-18-2006, 11:10 PM
N46203

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Just for fun, anyone actually log your time?

I was thinking the other day that it would be kind of fun to get a logbook for my RC flying, kind of keep track of how much I actually fly. Anyone do it?
Old 10-18-2006, 11:29 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Just for fun, anyone actually log your time?

I sure do, I use a free software that is actually very good and does much more than just logging flight time, you can track fuel, weather conditions, times that you flew, fuel used, time on the engine, the servos used, batteries and charging, etc...

http://www.lammers.ca/FlightLog/
Old 10-19-2006, 01:33 AM
skull1971

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

NO!!, because my wife would then find out that the 6 hours I spent at the field, I only flew for 24 minutes!!
Old 10-19-2006, 07:00 AM
sonnytex

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes! You can actually learn a lot about your flying including your weaknesses just by adding a comment or two about the flight. Not to mention the other items already mentioned. I was surprised to know that there was no in-between when it came to my landings - It was either a top notch landing or a really bad landing, about 50-50. I'll not discuss why. Logging your flights is fun too (most of the time).

Sonnytex
Old 10-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Newc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't log my total time per se, but I log each plane individually. The log on each plane is pretty simple, consisting of date, field (or lake), number of flights that day and that day's flight time, total time to date, total flights to date and remarks. I include in the 'remarks' portinon any unique things such as wind and any flight issues, especially those that need looking at or repair on the bench at home. Was going to download the form I use, but for some reason this site doesn't realize that Microsoft has an interesting bit of software known as 'Word'!!!
Old 10-19-2006, 02:16 PM
N46203

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sweet. I think I am going to start doing that.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Charlie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nah. When I was in a prior club's flight school we had to log our time under instruction in a logbook they provided each student pilot. Time on buddy box and time off. We had to have each of eight, I believe, maneuvers witnessed and initialed by a different instructor/full member (two of the eight were take-offs and landings). Then we had to log so many hours solo within our "initiate" year to become full members. You could avoid the flight school by flying the maneuvers in front of an instructor if you were a new but experienced member. This was one serious bunch of mostly engineers (IBM, Lockheed, BAE). You could have fun between the hours of 1300 and 1430 on Sunday.

I don't need that much structure in my life in what I consider "fun time" now that I've joined a much less formal club (which is mostly quarter scale vs. the prior club's pattern & Quickie 500 following - go figure). I am an accountant by profession and sometimes I just like to cut loose and do something spontaneous without getting a receipt or logging the transaction. A madman, I know.

I do have a chalkboard in my cellar at my recharge table where I record the initial three and three most recent discharge mah of my (numbered) battery packs so I can see which may be ending their useful lives. That's just in the interests of model preservation.

I also keep a notepad and pencil in my flightbox so I can jot down anything I observe while at the field on a model. I have a bad habit otherwise of meaning to remedy something and forgetting until I get to the field the next time. Canopy missing a screw, missing wheel collar, crack in cowl, etc., etc.

If I have an engine that is being difficult sometimes I log the weather conditions to see if that effects the mixture. But usually not.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:57 AM
camdyson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I run logs on all my planes. I record date, no. and duration of flights, and any comments. Also usually note stuff like what the plane is covered with, fuel-proofed in etc. - can be useful if doing repairs later on.

As I fly infrequently, and have quite a few planes, it can be handy reviewing comments on a plane I haven't flown for maybe 6 months or more. Also list things to fix before next visit to the field.

Stuff like "Tracking to right - adjust U/C" or "Move CG back further" or "Add more downthrust" are tricky to do at the field, so I jot them all down and make sure they're ticked-off before next take the plane out.

O.k., so I'm a bit anal, but do whatever makes you happy eh! Also, I'm used to logbooks from my other aviation interests, and they CAN be handy at times.

Cheers,

Cam
Old 10-20-2006, 07:32 AM
Newc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nah....I don't need that much structure in my life in what I consider "fun time"...

I do have a chalkboard in my cellar at my recharge table where I record the initial three and three most recent discharge mah of my (numbered) battery packs so I can see which may be ending their useful lives. That's just in the interests of model preservation.

I also keep a notepad and pencil in my flightbox so I can jot down anything I observe while at the field on a model. I have a bad habit otherwise of meaning to remedy something and forgetting until I get to the field the next time. Canopy missing a screw, missing wheel collar, crack in cowl, etc., etc.

If I have an engine that is being difficult sometimes I log the weather conditions to see if that effects the mixture. But usually not.
Gee, sounds like a log to me, just not a very well organized one.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:50 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My 9CS radio does the time logging for me[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Charlie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gee, sounds like a log to me, just not a very well organized one.
He asked about logging flight time. Mine is how much the batteries "hold." There's a difference there with gas & glow power vs. electric motors.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:53 PM
iflircaircraft

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Building to flying time. 55 to 1 when I started. Built fifty five times longer than I flew and if I was real lucky I didn't have to repair it afterwards.

Happy Flying

Tom
Old 10-22-2006, 06:56 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's a hobby. Who cares? The more time I spend fooling with toy airplanes--the better!!
Old 10-22-2006, 08:52 PM
RVM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The building is the hobby for me. I am super-competitive in everything I do (see my signature) and consider the flying aspect a semi-sport until I have more time and money for it, and which point it will be a full-sport for me. I don't think I know how not to compete, which isn't a good thing. [:@]

I've been looking to log all of my flights so I know what I need to improve on and that link given earlier for the free software may help.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:13 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We have one individual at our field who will sit down and write a short note after every flight - indicating flight time, wind, maneuvers, etc. He's an old military-type and his discipline at this is impressive!