Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

semi-scale .40 plane for aerobatics

Old 01-17-2003, 07:41 PM
sandal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default semi-scale .40 plane for aerobatics

Hello again,

it's time to start planning my next building project. I want an aerobatic "semi-scale" airplane.

Choosing the plane is the difficult part. The Great Planes Extra 300S .40, Cap 232 .40 and Ultimate .40 look interesting. The question is whether I will be able to handle these planes. I got my first plane in 1998, and fly a Four-Star 40/Irvine 53 now. I feel confident flying the Four-Star, and can do basic aerobatics, but nothing more advanced than flat spins and an occasional inverted low pass.

The engine will be an OS FS-52S. GP recommend a .48 to .70 four-stroke for these planes, so it will be at the low end of the range. I want to do scale aerobatics with this plane, so I don't think power will be a problem, but I'd like to hear your opinions on this.

Will the Extra, Cap or Ultimate be "too much"? ("how long is a piece of string") Is the Ultimate more difficult to fly than the Extra/Cap?

Opinions appreciated

T
Old 04-03-2003, 08:08 PM
zope_pope

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Ultimate is a great plane

Hi,
The ultimate in my opinion is easier to fly than the extra is. I dont have any experience with a cap, but I own the GP Extra 300s 60 size and the GP ultimate 40 size. The ultimate is way more stable at lower speeds and is very easy to land. a month after i solod my trainer, I had finished my ultimate and flew it no problem. Make sure to keep the rates on low, because if you set them high, its one crazy plane with the four ailerons. It also gives plenty of options as well because of the huge control surfaces. My bipe has bigger surfaces than the bigger scale extra. I can 3d both, but i am not sure the 52 would be sufficient. My extra on the other hand requires more airspeed when landing which can be a little uncomfortable at first. Both airplanes are great, but if you are looking for ease of flying and still the capability of unlimited aerobatics, go with the Ultimate. Hope this helps.

Adam
Old 04-07-2003, 03:16 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ditto to everything ZP said.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:06 PM
CafeenMan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nothing flies like a bipe. Maybe a Super Stearman?