Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Cleaning up old engines

Old 10-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Boogey Man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cleaning up old engines

Hi,

I just bought 15 old engines off of ebay. Some of them are new some used. The used ones all seem to be frozen up. I would assume that this is from fuel being left in them for years. Does anyone have any good ideas as to what I need to soak these engines in or just any good ideas in this area of cleaning up the engines would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 10-21-2006, 08:22 PM
iron eagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Cleaning up old engines

I have used a mixture of alcohol and oil to soak the engines in that for a few days. You can also use some old fuel that you are not to sure of. After that, I tear them down, clean and oil them, then put them back together. Sometimes, when you have engines with bearings the are too corroded they will need to have the bearings replaced.
Now I have heard of guys boiling the engines in antifreeze (after they are apart to clean them) I have never bothered it is amazing what some oil and alcohol will remove.
Good luck

Just to be sure, as far as fuel, I am talking about glow fuel....
Old 10-21-2006, 10:05 PM
bbbair

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

15 Engines! [X(]
Wow!! you're trying to get into the hobby in a hurry... [8D]

Rest assured that one or two of these engines will NOT live up to your expectations... [&o]

As to the cleaning - there are many ways. it depends on the engine, the problem and the person doing the job.

If varnish (burned on blackened crud) is your problem... take the engine apart (as much as you can) and put the pieces in a crock pot filled with antifreeze (go to walmart and buy a small crock pot for ~$10) cook over night and the varnish will fall off in great chunks. Be sure to take the engine apart as much as possible and clean it thoroughly afterwards as the 'Chunks' can cause problems if not removed...

Once apart inspect all the parts for rust and damage. The bearings are the critical pieces. Look closely and be sure that they turn freely - replace ass required.

Flush out all lines, needle valves etc. the grime that can grow here WILL stop the engine at the worst possible time...

Try a search on the RCU for different cleaning tips, this is a popular subject and has been discussed many times.

Good Luck!!
Old 10-21-2006, 10:35 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've bought a couple of used engines that have been stuck from old fuel. I put them in the oven at 250 for 20 min or so. That usually loosens them up. Then you can check to see if the bearings are ok or not. Most of the time its a good idea to replace them anyway.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:11 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I too use the crook pot method. However, you have to get the engines apart in the first place and the oven at 250 helps there. One important consideration: you do not want to turn over a gummy engine because if the balls in the bearings are stuck, they will slide instead of rolling and create flat spots on their surface. So soaking the engine first to loosen the bearings is prudent.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:19 AM
Boogey Man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I guess you could say that I've been in the hobby for about 35 years. I am sure that I would have a lot more planes in my hangar if I would of had an instructor 35 years ago. I bought the engines and stuff on ebay because I have the words SUCKER tatooed across my forehead. I started messing around with ebay 3 months ago. I now have more fishing supplies than the average person could use in 2 life times. Thanks for your advice on how to clean up the engines. I will give it a try. My first one to clean up will be a enya 60. It came apart with ease, except for the intake, it is soaking now.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:06 PM
Boogey Man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I took the enya nodel 7032 completely apart, finally got the intake apart. Everything cleaned up well, so I oiled it good and put it back together. Has good compression so I think it will run. Not sure about the settings. Read some good posts on the enya engines. This one is probably an old one since it has the butterfly flap on the exhaust. Will try to get it running later in the week. Glow battery been dead for a while. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:48 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If the engine is just cruddy on the exterior only, I have found that BrakeClean will melt alot of this stuff off as you spray it onto the engine. It can be picked up at any automotive parts store. For some reason I bought some from a NAPA store yesterday ,"NAPA BRAND", and it seems to work better than what I have been buying at the Autozone.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Boogey Man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I ran the Enya model 7032 today. Man that engine seems strong, at least compared to my 40's. It seemed to do ok. I didn't have any problem with the high speed needle setting, but not quite sure of the air screw on the front of the intake. I read somewhere on a thread here to set it halfway across the hole. I'll just play with it a little.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:29 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have always just dumped a bunch of marvel mystery oil in the exhaust and carb and let it sit for a while, then start slowly trying to rotate it. It will loosen right up and turn like it was new. Leave the plug out when you do it and just keep dumpin the oil in it till it is loose. Then if you are going to store it, use air tool oil. It is thicker and stays in the engine better. I clean them with alcohol, but I think the crock pot method above gets the gook off a lot better.

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2006, 05:57 PM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Found a cleaner in the Big Orange Box, Crude Cutter, spray on use a tooth brush and rinse off with water.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:50 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: almostready2fly

Hi,

I just bought 15 old engines off of ebay. Some of them are new some used. The used ones all seem to be frozen up. I would assume that this is from fuel being left in them for years. Does anyone have any good ideas as to what I need to soak these engines in or just any good ideas in this area of cleaning up the engines would be helpful. Thanks!
Most frozen engines, assuming it's oil not rust, can be freed from a combination of heat and alcohol. Heating the engine to 250-300 degrees for 10 minutes will usually free it up, but when it cools, it'll stick again. So, while it's hot, pour some alcohol (rubbing, denatured, Bacardi 151, etc) in the carb and exhaust outlet and turn the crankshaft. Keep pouring in a bit of alcohol, turning the crank and then pouring out the alcohol. The engine will get more and more free. When the alcohol starts coming out clear, you know you've got most of the gummed oil out of it. Put it back in the oven for another 10 minutes to evaporate any remaining alcohol and then lube it up.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:47 PM
halflight
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

try Dawn Power dissolver..it works.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:00 PM
RC-Captain

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Half flight , did you put the Dawn inside of the engine also ? Did you rinse with water ? I read the article in the December AMA mag, but gave the mag away to a possible RC pilot.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2006, 09:26 PM
halflight
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used the Dawn on the outside only. Rinsed with water.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:47 PM
RC-Captain

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Get this ! I lost an OS .70 in a tall grass field for about three months. The outside looks bad . I opened the engine to night and there wasn't not one ounce of rust or corrosion on the inside. What do you suggest ? close it back flush with fuel and clean the outside ? Or should I give it the antifreeze bath ?
Old 12-28-2006, 07:28 PM
rcmaster5123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

clean the outside with some dish soap and water. and flush lines with nitro. as long as nothing is inside you are fine.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:03 AM
RC-Captain

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is pretty much what I used , Dawn Power Dissolver, it cleaned the case with ease. My muffler went from black to shinny chrome with in 15 minutes. The inside of the engine was mint. There was no corrosion or rust any where. I didn'r run the engine yet but feel it should run good as new.