Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

CA Hinges or Robart Hinge Points

Old 10-24-2006, 11:53 PM
RICMOD5634

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default CA Hinges or Robart Hinge Points

I am putting together a Edge 540T 40. It came with CA hinges 1" wide, four per Aileron, 59" Wing. Now if I use Robart Hinge points 3/16 should I increase the number of hinges, to lets say five per aileron. Would five be better or not make that big a difference. I have used CA hinges with know trouble. But in kits that I have built, F4U,P-51 and Cubs I've always used Hinge Points. Just thought I'd get other thought's since this is the first pattern ship.
Ricmod
Old 10-25-2006, 04:01 AM
Ejiro
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: CA Hinges or Robart Hinge Points

I would think that with the hinge points you can stick with the same number, or even get away with less. I think that 10 3/16" hinge points on a 59" wing may be an overkill.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:27 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You have to make sure that there is enough wood depth at the hinge hole location to cover the Robart hinge completely.

CA hinge locations typically need only 1/2" depth of wood to secure properly.

Hinge points should be mounted into wood that is almost as deep as the hinge is in length.

Any less and the hinge point advantage quickly becomes a disadvantage
Old 10-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Newc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In the 'for-what-it's-worth' department....I only use hinges that are truly hinges, not simply bending pieces of any material. To me a 'hinge' needs to have a hinge pin. Therefore, for the size model you are building I use Du-Bro nylon hinges and after the epoxy has cured I pin the hinge [drill a 1/16" hole through the balsa on each side (eg. wing trailing edge and aileron LE) and the hinge and then CyA a tootpick through this hole]. "Ain't no way" that this is going to fail. Then, for my larger planes (from about 80" WS and up) I use the Robarts with extra balsa added as needed as Dick mentions.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:49 AM
RVM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

On a 59" wing I'd use the 1/8" Robart hingepoints, if you have enough material to set the hingepoint into. On one kit I am building, I added balsa reinforcements to give the hingepoints enough wood to secure to.

On an ARF I am assembling, I simply used the CA hinges that it was supplied with. Only about 3/8" - 1/2" worth of wood to work with, and didn't feel like ripping the plane apart to add the wood to use hingepoints. When I recover the plane (probably spring or summer next year, or while the weather is really bad this winter) I'll probably replace the CA hinges with 1/8" Robart hingepoints. I'll have the covering off and will be doing repairs and whatnot so I figure I might as well.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:53 PM
RICMOD5634

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Now that you mention it, I always did add extra material for hinge points. Mental block! This is an ARF and I don't fell that I want to Cut the covering, for I know there isn't enough material to cover the hinge points. I guess I'll start with the CA Hinges and if one of those fail, I switch to the the nylon pined hinges. The hinge gaps will be sealed on the lower side and I dought if all hinges would fail at the same time.
Thanks guy's for reminding me of the extra material need for the hinge points.
Ricmod