Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

spitfire and irvine

Old 10-25-2006, 06:14 PM
bulletbob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default spitfire and irvine

I recentlly purchased a spitfire out of an estate. Along with it came a Irvine .61 engine although it was not mouinted in the plane. The plane has been fiberglassed, has no flaps, fixed wheels and with the engine will weigh about ten pounds. It however is very tail heavy and will require about ten ounces more of weight forward to make it balance near the wing spar. Will this fly?
Old 10-26-2006, 02:22 AM
flapper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: spitfire and irvine

Hi,
Do you know what make the spit is? 10lbs is getting up to the maximum weight I would fit a .61 2 stroke on. Might be best going for a .91 or 1.2 4 stroke. Others may recommend an RCV. You probably won't know until you try and fly I suppose. Do a search in the Warbirds forum for spitfires and look at the variious set ups in regard to engines. Would yours be around the 60 to 63" wing span?

I am currently finishing a Top Flite Spitfire. Currently weighs 10.5 lb and is fitted with a .91 4 stroke. I still need to add nose weight despite building as light as I could.

Best of luck setting it up.

Regards
Mark
Old 10-26-2006, 02:36 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BulletBob,
Your Spit will fly very scale with the Irvine 61. Don't yank it off the ground on take off. You may need a slight bit of right rudder input while on the ground. Make sure you have attained flying speed, then allow the plane to lift off on its own. Climb to a safe altitude before you begin your turn to Down Leg, using rudder with aileron. Once on Down Leg, keep her level. She should fly nicely. Don't expect anything other than normal warbird performance. She should be able to loop and roll, but the performance will be scale. Landing will merely be lining to the runway from Base to Final. Don't stall her. Half throttle should get her on the ground, then cut power and pin her tail. Rudder useage on the ground will help immensely. Once in the air to Down Leg, if the engine does not seem to have much authority, don't panic. Keep her level and bring her back Base to Final to the runway. This will probably result in a larger engine, like a Super Tigre 75 2 stroke or a Saito 91 4 stroke. Good Luck.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:59 PM
flapper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HI,
In regard to the fixed landing gear, make sure it is angle forward towards the leading edge of the wing. This will help on take off and landings to prevent (but not alwaus stop) nose overs. It seems to be a common problem with spits and takes a bit of getting used to. Also need to learn to use elevator effectively during take off and landing.

Reagrds
Mark