Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Striping airplanes!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Striping airplanes!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 06:45 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Striping airplanes!

I don't understand why people take time building and flying planes and then they get a new one and use everything out of the old one. To me this is kind of dumb. I like all my planes to be flyable anytime I want to fly. I can just pick a plane and go fly. Trainers are fun from time to time so why take them apart and basically have nothing. You never know when you might want to instruct someone and if you didn't strip it, you would have one. They are a good plane to have for when spring comes and you want to get the feel of flying back again. I can understand it if it a question of money. But why do you that have the money do it?

Gibbs
Old 10-29-2006, 07:14 PM
john_s3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Striping airplanes!

That is why i have a JR6102. Cost Is the only reason.If i have the funds i keep all my ships ready to fly.
The only time i strip a ship is after it has been rekitted.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:54 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I learned over 30 years ago that it is more feasibable to completely outfit a new plane instead of removing gear from an existing plane.this was before computer radios.I had six recievers tuned to the same Kraft transmitter that had one model memmory.All trims were centered for all planes ,all trim was adjusted mechannically[that is what threaded clevises are for].just charge and fly.used to take three or four to the field at a time as tx batteries last longer then rx packs back then so limitting 4 flights per plane I could fly more flights in a flying sesion.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:56 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

I've heard rumor that there are sick individuals out there that believe in having only one plane to fly. Once they get bored with a plane, they strip the gear and on to the next one. This is a cry for professional help.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:24 PM
agexpert

How about when you sell an airframe? I just stripped over $2000 worth of gear out of an airframe I sold. That's another reason to strip.

I do agree, however, that keeping un-flyable airframes around is a waste. All of my built and 'not for sale' airplanes are in 'fuel and fly' condition. Since the batteries are lithium, they hold a charge for many months....probably years.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't ever strip an airplane to use the gear in another. Not untill I crash it or sell it. I think it's silly to strip a perfectly good airframe, unless I plane to sell it.

I finally stripped the gear from my GP 1/3 Pitts last week and sold the airframe. Hated that plane. I was afraid it was going to explode in flight and ruin my gasoline engine and a bunch of JR coreless servos, so I decided to just get rid of it while it was still in decent shape and worth a few bucks. Got $150 for a bare airframe. Better than ruining $1000 worth of motor and servos when it explodes down the road

Rewarded myself for being so smart by ordering a new WH 84" Edge 540.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:47 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know that for MANY years it was customary to swap equipment mainly due to the expense. Even when radios got cheaper, spending money on a hobby got me the evil eye from the wife.

So the bottom line is, if you can afford it, outfit all of your flyable planes.

If you can't afford it, or you would just rather spend money elsewhere and don't mind swapping, then don't
Old 10-30-2006, 04:41 PM
carlosponti

i don't really prefer to keep a high number of servos receivers and engines sitting around is the reason i do it. i hardly call it stupid just my prerogative. sometimes i sell the plane sometimes i don't.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:33 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I said dumb not stupid, meaning I thought it was dumb. I didn't say you were dumb. Lets get some thicker skin around here. Sorry if I insulted you.

Gibbs
Old 10-30-2006, 05:42 PM
carlosponti

i wasn't insulted at all don't misunderstand me. I was trying to point out its a personal preference. i only like to have two planes flight worthy at a time. i dont want to have a stock pile of radio equipment. for one thing i never get rid of an engine. i just sold my Sig Kommander and now use the radio in my ugly stick but to work with another kit i may sit the ugly stick aside and work on an electric 40 size plane but i will use the radio from it. just how i would rather do it.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Flying freak

Id love no to strip any plane but chance are i will be doing so soon keep the trainer and move the engive rx and servos 2 times a season in the spring back to the trainer and mid year in another plane maybe somthing like a wonder ahvent decided. im 14 so dont have alot of $$ so i dont mind the "work" i actually kind like working on planes.