Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Needing some opinions!!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Needing some opinions!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 02:01 PM
dshoffman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing some opinions!!

About 3 years ago, I crashed my Aerostar 40 because I was too cheap to fly at a real field. Long story short, my plane clipped a suspension wire near this field where I was flying. Nobody was hurt, but my plane and motor were destroyed.

Discouraged, I sold off my radio, reciever and servos.

I was in the process of building a Sig Four Star 40 but gave it away.

I'm now wanting to get back into the hobby and want to know if you guys think I should start over again with a trainer or get a low wing trainer?

Before my crash I had been flying for about two years.

Thanks!

Old 12-07-2006, 02:25 PM
ChrisMH

Default RE: Needing some opinions!!

If you're going to go it alone again, might be a good idea to start with a trainer. If you're going to join a club, you could go with a 4* type plane and have an instructor buddy-box you until you knock the rust off.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:36 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

I'd have to aree with ChrisMH. I would also highly recommend joining the AMA and a club.
This hobby is more fun and exciting when it is shared with other modelers.
You will have a support network in the club. The more experienced guys are usually eager to help.
They also bring enough tools and materials to the field to get you back in the air quickly after a minor mishap!
They're are a lot of benefits in a club that you won't get when going it alone.

Even though AMA and club dues are about $150.00, it is money well spent.
You will have more fun, less frustration and peace of mind, knowing that you can go somewhere that it is safe and fun to fly.

Welcome back and Good Luck!
Doug
Old 12-07-2006, 02:54 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not aware of too many planes that have a high surviviability rate when contact with suspension wires is involved. Low wing or top wing
Be patient and do what the others said and go to a model airplane club field. Also listen to what the people trying to help say.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:23 PM
dshoffman

Yeah... Well, I was in a local club and was a member of AMA, but like I said, I got cheap... thought.. I dont need no stinking club... hehe.. Well, thats when I tried flying from a school track and field area.... I guess quickly attended the school of hard knocks...

Thanks for your input.

To follow up,

I will get a trainer again, but my goal is to get a low wing and then eventually up to Warbirds... so with that in mind, any suggestsion on a low wing trainer?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:53 PM
nickj

I re-entered the hobby after a 15-year hiatus with a Goldberg Eagle II (trike gear). I had an instructor and buddy box for the first couple of flights, but was fine on my own after that. I think I'm probably an average pilot, so I'd expect most people to be able to go that route.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:05 PM
iron eagel

ORIGINAL: dshoffman
I will get a trainer again, but my goal is to get a low wing and then eventually up to Warbirds... so with that in mind, any suggestsion on a low wing trainer?
Sig Something Extra with a big 2 stroke
Old 12-07-2006, 05:35 PM
oldvet70

You can buy 1 plane that meets all your interests. A Hanger 9 P-51 Mustang PTS, http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN2825. It's a low wing trainer and a war bird. It comes with a flight sim and it will allow you to progress from a trainer to low wing sport plane as your skills improve, PTS stands for Progressive Trainer System. Just don't let all the naysayers talk you out of it. It does not need "extra" work to get it flight worthy and is not much harder to fly than a traditional high wing trainer. My wife has been flying one for nearly a year now and has had no complaints.

I also would advise AMA membership and joining a club. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80235.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	573372  
Old 12-07-2006, 08:03 PM
dshoffman

Now THAT is cool!! Somebody finally married the two... I'll keep this in mind when making my final decision.

ORIGINAL: oldvet70

You can buy 1 plane that meets all your interests. A Hanger 9 P-51 Mustang PTS, http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN2825. It's a low wing trainer and a war bird. It comes with a flight sim and it will allow you to progress from a trainer to low wing sport plane as your skills improve, PTS stands for Progressive Trainer System. Just don't let all the naysayers talk you out of it. It does not need "extra" work to get it flight worthy and is not much harder to fly than a traditional high wing trainer. My wife has been flying one for nearly a year now and has had no complaints.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:28 PM
dshoffman

Follow up question. Radios.... FM or PCM? Not sure what the difference is and which one may be preferred over another.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:18 PM
ChrisMH

Well, since you have no investment in "traditional" raidos, you might want to check out the new Spektrum DX-7. No chance of stepping on someone else's frequency. I'm sorta waiting to see if Hitec comes out with a conversion since I prefer their stuff...and since I'd have to buy a bazillion new receivers.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:24 PM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that the Mustang PTS would be a great choice. It's sort of like a sport scale warbird with training wheels. when you're ready, you remove the training wheels and you're off with a good looking warbird.

Welcome back to RC!

Mike
Old 12-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dshoffman

Now THAT is cool!! Somebody finally married the two... I'll keep this in mind when making my final decision.

ORIGINAL: oldvet70

If you are not aware of this, here goes.

MOST trainers have a wing loading of 16oz - 18 oz. That means they take off and land slower. The light wing loading also means they tend to float. These are good things in a trainer.

The PTS Mustang has a wing loading of 25oz - 27oz. This plane is going to need noticeably more speed for takoffs AND landings. It also means this plane MUST FLY FASTER TO STAY IN THE AIR and it is not going to to float.

A warbird is USUALLY suggested as a 4th plane, occasionally as a 3rd if the pilot is exceptional. This will be your second plane.

You seem reasonably intelligent. You decide if you want to start out with a warbird (and the inherant problems, such as tip stalling ) as a trainer.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Flak

How about a Piper Cub? Great transitional aircraft. Hours of scale flight performance and just plain fun. You'll also learn to fly a tail dragger and use the rudder. Great Planes makes a nice arf and also has a kit available. Sig, Balso USA, and several others also have great kits available for Cubs. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:17 PM
oldvet70

The AMA has published "Real World" flight data on the PTS and the numbers are similar to most current trainers.

http://www.masportaviator.com/ah.asp?CatID=1&ID=118

If you leave the NACA wing droops in place it will not tip stall! As for a radio, well you can get the PTS with an engine and JR radio already installed, all for about $400.00. Take some time and read what the AMA says about it. Read what Horizon Hobby says and if you buy one you will be glad you did. It will put a smile on your face!

Like I said before there are some naysayers out there, there always are when something new comes along. I am my clubs Chief Flight Instructor and as such I've taught people from 9 to 70 how to fly. You have some experience already so you are not starting at square 1. But whatever you decide do join the AMA and a club. Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84325.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	573550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84273.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	573551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51273.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	573552  
Old 12-08-2006, 11:23 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did a review of the PTS for RCU Magzine:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=692]Mustang PTS Review[/link]

My take on it is: It's a great plane, and a great concept. For a beginner, you MUST have an instructor to buddy-box with.

In your case, I would strongly suggest buddying with an instructor for the first few flights until you are comfortable.

Now here's the good news. For $400 you get the airplane, engine and radio - all of which are of excellent quality

PLUS, it comes with a free flight simulator so you can practice at home on your computer, AND a buddy Box cord that will plug into a JR or Futaba transmitter. So whichever your instructor has, it will be compatible.

All in all, if you are going to be in a club, and you need everything anyway, this is a great way to go.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:20 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Campy

If you are not aware of this, here goes.

MOST trainers have a wing loading of 16oz - 18 oz. That means they take off and land slower. The light wing loading also means they tend to float. These are good things in a trainer.

The PTS Mustang has a wing loading of 25oz - 27oz. This plane is going to need noticeably more speed for takoffs AND landings. It also means this plane MUST FLY FASTER TO STAY IN THE AIR and it is not going to to float.

A warbird is USUALLY suggested as a 4th plane, occasionally as a 3rd if the pilot is exceptional. This will be your second plane.

You seem reasonably intelligent. You decide if you want to start out with a warbird (and the inherant problems, such as tip stalling ) as a trainer.
Based on the website data, I make the wing loading of the PTS at 17.8 oz with droops and 18.6oz without. This plane looks sorta like a Mustang, but it's really a trainer at heart.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:36 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, it's really more of an intermediate trainer, but for anyone with experience, it's a great way to go.