Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

lathe,drill,mill

Old 11-04-2006, 09:38 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default lathe,drill,mill

I am considering buying a multipurpose lathe, drill mill machine. Any one own one of these and have anything that they would like to share?
Thanks
JEB
Old 11-04-2006, 10:18 AM
The Toolman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: lathe,drill,mill

I own a whole machine shop and I hardly ever use anything in it for planes. The most used things I have are a little bitty 4" table saw and a 4" disc sander that came from harbor freight (about $30-$40 each). Also a good cordless drill, cordless screwdriver, and a dremel tool. One of those real small drill presses that set on a bench is handy also.

I forgot--A cheap scroll saw is nice to have also. $80-$90 Mine came from a garage sale for $20 like new.

Ronnie
Old 11-04-2006, 10:38 AM
flyfisher431

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If your looking for a multi purpose wood working machine you can't beat a Shopsmith Mark V model 520. See http://www.shopsmith.com/ If your interested try and catch a demo at 11/09 - 11/12 Anderson , IN Lowe's Of Anderson, IN
Store #1031
Located on Route 9, three miles north of Interstate 69.

Usually at the demmo they ofer a special deal that includes one of the accessories for the show price.

Check it out.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:56 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The problem in us giving an opinion and as to what you eventially buy are often based on different factors: need, cost, size, useage, and familiarity.

I bought one of the mill-drill machines a good ten years ago, and can tell you simply the more you get with the initial purchase, the less you will have to obtain later on. "Now, what is this for?" Those items which come in a "Deal" or package purchase eventially get used maybe once or twice per year. Back years ago, I had no idea that I would be needing the m-d to simply hold still a piece of metal so that it could be drilled and used on the tailpipe to the auto. Such as eventially you will find the need to short cut the process of outside sourcing a simple thought. Two years ago, I had need for some metric thickness wood, and instead of making a special purchase and waiting, I went to the odd-ball stick pile and cut one strip to the proper dimensions within 1/2 hour. Now I paid nearly $1000 for a package deal, which months later went down to about $700, so I lost out a few dollars. But I have used and created more than $1000 since purchasing. I even use the milling table to clamp down and hold project parts for gluing, w/o even turning on the power.

I bought a 1950's era South Bend lathe at a yard sale couple years ago too. Accuracy is just fine, but I sort of wish had passed it up and got a 1-2 inch larger one. For it does not fit all my needs. But I still use it one hour per week, whereas it was intended to be used eight hours per day, for a couple years. Thus doubtfull I will wear it out. And again in the NO-juice thought, I chucked up a cylinder liner for some glow engine that I got as a $1 special deal upon from some swap meet vendor. Before installing, I measured it for concentricity, and it was oval. Had that been installed, it would have created the same problem as before.

Before buying the items, I had considered getting one of those "All-in-one" machines. They tend to have a miniature work table, and need to be placed in center of floor because you need to work around all sides for set up purposes. Not that they won't do it, but they tend to mention working with wood only. The drilling of the tailpipe would have taken an extra hour to move things out of the way and set up. For the $2000 these all-in one's cost, I got two purpose built pieces of machinery, that can be set along one wall of the garage, and left there for ten years. Seems to me it is easier to obtain components one at a time for less that a big all-in-one. And, when I visit the local flea mart, I can pick up some used tooling at about $2 each, instead of ordering such via mail.

Wm.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:20 PM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great information and thatnks to all.
JEB
Old 11-05-2006, 08:56 AM
Newc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought a 1950's era South Bend lathe at a yard sale couple years ago too. Accuracy is just fine, but I sort of wish had passed it up and got a 1-2 inch larger one. For it does not fit all my needs. But I still use it one hour per week, whereas it was intended to be used eight hours per day, for a couple years.
Boy, does that bring back good memories! I worked at SB Lathe Company (in the old Studebaker plant) for a summer while I was in college - back in 1966. It was at the time that industry had already started moving to CNC machines, and so the SB lathes weren't in big demand then. However, every shop that had a new CNC machine also had some old guy in the back room alongside their old South Bend lathe and the lathe was being usd to make new parts - or fix the existing ones - for the new machines when the new ones broke down. Accurate and really long lasting! Always wanted one whether or not I had a 'justified' use for it or not!
Old 11-06-2006, 03:52 PM
KW_Counter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Toolman,
I may have the same saw from Habour Freight as you - no fence.
Have you found anything that works good for this?
I have tried using clamps with a small piece of hardwood.
Moderate success depending on where you need the wood - obstruction on the bottom of the table.
Any ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks,
KW_Counter
Old 11-06-2006, 05:28 PM
The Toolman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: KW_Counter

Toolman,
I may have the same saw from Habour Freight as you - no fence.
Have you found anything that works good for this?
I have tried using clamps with a small piece of hardwood.
Moderate success depending on where you need the wood - obstruction on the bottom of the table.
Any ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks,
KW_Counter

I've just used a small 1/2 x 1 x 6 piece of alum stock and a coupla squeeze clamps so far. But I'll look tomorrow when I'm in the shop and see if I can come up with something that will work like the bigger saws.

Ronnie
Old 11-07-2006, 03:41 PM
KW_Counter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Toolman,
I have considered something like this All-In-One clamp guide.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16448
This one looks promising as it is only 12" long.
The other one I considered was 18" - a little big in my mind.
Still, half the price of the saw.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
KW_Counter
Old 11-07-2006, 09:31 PM
The Toolman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: KW_Counter

Toolman,
I have considered something like this All-In-One clamp guide.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16448
This one looks promising as it is only 12" long.
The other one I considered was 18" - a little big in my mind.
Still, half the price of the saw.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
KW_Counter

Not bad, but looks like a lot more than we need. I didn't get a chance to ck on something for ours today, as I forgot to take the saw to the shop. But I will tomorrow for sure.

Ronnie
Old 11-08-2006, 12:56 AM
saramos

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Are you asking about metal or wood lathe/drill/mill?

I too would like info on metal lathe/mills.

Scott
Old 11-08-2006, 09:09 PM
jamsam
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi all-

I too have been researching mini lathes, mini mills and or multi-purpose machines. Haven't decided yet which one - kinda learly as they are not cheap and there are no stores close to me to see/try first.

If anyone has some experience/recommendations, I'd appreciate it.

Here are a few links to what I have found so far:

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...Combo_Packages

http://www.tabletopmachineshop.com/s...=200110&cat=1&

http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/2,318.html

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0516
Old 11-08-2006, 11:14 PM
The Toolman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Right now Home depot has a small table-tile saw on sale with a good rip fence and a laser guide for $99. With a small wood blade in this i think it would be the cats meow. I didn't find it on their site, but there was a 1/2 page deal on it in the K.C. Sta newspaper today.

Ronnie
Old 11-17-2006, 07:49 PM
D-LOCO

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've had a Smithy lathe, mill, drill (the Midas 1200xl I think) for a couple of years. Got it to play with. Its a "back gear" lathe meaning you change gears to achieve different speed relationships. I actually cut threads successfully on this machine. It gave me a real appreciations for nuts & bolts!

I've used it for making tools and other things. I made some nice axles for the gear on my LT-40.

It weighs 400 lbs though and it'll take up about 10 sq ft of your shop. I build a roll around stand for mine which has worked out well.

No limit switches on this machine. I broke a couple of gears cutting threads. The company replaced the gears free of charge. Very good customer support.

Its been fun..............if you like such things.

Dave
Old 11-18-2006, 07:13 AM
TFF

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

http://grizzly.com/
http://www.harborfreight.com/

I have been looking at these places. The smaller tools seem from the same manufacture at each places.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46199

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G4015Z

I like the price of one, but the one from Grizzzly has screw threading capacity.

I want to try to build an engine.

Tom