Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

onboard glow driver

Old 01-21-2003, 12:36 AM
strattac
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default onboard glow driver

I have a magnum 80 four stoke that I can't seem to get set right. I was told that it needed an onboard glow driver that would work when the engine was running at low throttle settings.Could some of you post a little info on this and maybe a link where I could get one.Thanks for the help.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:44 AM
how to?

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

glow drivers are small electronic systems wich allow to power the glow plug at idle speed.
the throttle info is send to the glow driver via a Y harness on the throttle chanel, there is a tuning system wich allow you fine adjustement of the position of the throttle where the system will work.
parralely to the device, you will need to embark a one element battery to power the glow.
Because I am in europe I buy the "graupner one board glow drivers" wich are excelent, but I am sure that you will find plenty of diferent models available
Old 01-21-2003, 01:00 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Drivers...

#1, If the engine is inverted a on-board glow will save alot of grief. Some engines don't run well upside down at low RPM so tunning well is a must.
#2, Use a good glow plug. OS type7, Enya #3 or Fox Miracle plugs are my preferences.
You can use a 4-stroke plug in a 2-stroke engine but you can't use a 2-stroke plug in a 4-stroke engine, the coil doesn't stay hot enough long enough between compression strokes.
Always be sure of the plug type your using when it comes to 4-strokes.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:08 AM
BingoFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

strattac

I have never needed a glow driver to keep any engine I own running at Idle (both two and four stroke). Your idle probably needs some adjustment.

The most common error I have seen is for the low speed needle valve to be set to rich and the extra fuel cools the glow plug to the point that it will not fire the fuel mixture.

A glow driver may help in this situation but I don't know as like I said I have never used one. I am thinking of going to one for an inverted and enclosed engine scale model.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:54 AM
strattac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info guys. This engine is inverted and I have been using the OS F glow plug.Would some of you post a link where you have found these onboard glow drivers?
Old 01-21-2003, 03:34 AM
rcalfred

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default glow driver

go to www.cliftech.com/. Click on Optiglo II. There is also an instruction for I and II. Easy to build (they have a kit if you can solder) and it works like a charm. Regards.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:42 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I second the OptoGlow II, just finished one for my P38, works great, and goes together real easy.

Vince
Old 01-21-2003, 12:22 PM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have on my website a page on how to build your own on board glow system www.geocities./cubmanky
Old 01-21-2003, 05:25 PM
heavy date-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I go the easy route on this.
If I run onboard glow, I just use 2 4500MaH D cells and hook the neg to ground and the pos to the plug. When I am ready to fly i connect the glow plug, when I land, I unhook it. No electronics to foul up and nothing to set or maintain except the batteries. The 2 cells will light a glow plug for about 4 hours, so you get a days worth of flying out of 1 charge.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:41 PM
tinman
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default .

i use these alot and the best one i have found came from here
glow driver . you can adjust these to kick on via the throttle control or switch it on all the time.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:44 PM
LQUAN
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've been using 3 of these from www.emsjomar.com. They are easy to install. Cost about $40 if you tell them that you see the special on their website. I use the Sanyo CP-2400SC that I got from www.Cermark.com. It should last about 45min if use continuously. I only set the unit to go on at 1/4 throttle for taxiing and landing. I last me for at least 10 flights per charge.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:06 AM
Stick Jammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ram electronics also makes a good unit, it comes shrink wrapped with a 1300 ma cell already on the board. About $40 Tower Hobbies has them or their web site is,
www.RamRCandRamTrack.com
I personally don't think it's a good idea to just hook up a couple of cells to the glow plug and let it cook, that can and will burn out the plug at the worst possible time.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:57 AM
Vince

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Whichever onboard glow you decide on, be sure it's not MOSFET controlled. These dudes suck power big time. The best onboard glow systems use photo voltaic relays that use very little energy.

Vince
Old 01-22-2003, 12:21 PM
heavy date-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Glow Plug burninng out

Stick Jammer,

[B]
I personally don't think it's a good idea to just hook up a couple of cells to the glow plug and let it cook, that can and will burn out the plug at the worst possible time.[/
B]

I used to think that it would burn out the plug as well. It does not. I have been doing it for over a year now and have never lost a plug. This tip came to me from the Top Gun guys and just about all of them do it this way. If it is good enough for those expensive scale birds, it is good enough for my lame attempts at scale birds.

After having many troubles with electronic gizmos, I have gone to a KISS way of life. I don't even use on-off switches anymore, I just plug the battery direct into the receiver. One less thing to go wrong.
Hans
Old 01-22-2003, 05:16 PM
Grumpy Monkey
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am with Heavy Date on this one. I use a single 2000mah cell with a switch right to the plug. With the switch, I dont even have to worry about disconnecting it. I havent lost any plugs with this method either. Very simple and works great for scale cowls where it is a pain to unhook after a flight. Also the cost is a $2.00 switch and a cell. I cant see paying $40 bucks for all that high tech circuitry when its not needed.

Warren
Old 01-22-2003, 05:56 PM
LQUAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is right. You don't need to pay $40 for all that cumbersome electronics. You don't even need to add a manual switch either. On one of my planes, I use a $1 momentary-microswitch from an electronic store. I just simply position the microswitch at the end of the throttle pushrod, when the pushrod moves back pass 1/4 throttle, it pushes the switch to ON position. Simple, yet, more effective then the EMS Jomar device I got for my warbirds. I had to use it because of the tight space. The darn scale cockpit takes up too much room!
Old 01-23-2003, 01:18 AM
Stick Jammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like the micro switch idea. I still don't think letting the plug burn for the whole flight is a good idea, I,m sure the Top Gun guys put a fresh plug in quite often. Also the circuitry of the units on the market are not supposed to cause any radio interference. I know on some of my planes with FM receivers I get some serious glitching when attaching the glow plug clip. In this hobby, I guess what ever you're comfortable with is one of the most important elements.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:39 AM
Vince

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The OptoGlow has no finiky micro switches to set or adjust, it doesn't even have an on-off switch. It comes on when you turn your radio on and the throttle stick is at the set position. When you turn off the radio, it is off. On a twin engine ship, IMO it's a must, the thought of using micro switches is well.....

Vince
Old 01-23-2003, 12:28 PM
bigphil
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll confirm there is no worry about burning out your plugs by leaving them lit by the battery for the entire flight. I use just a switch connected to a single D cell nicad which powers both plugs on a Magnum 1.60 twin that I've been flying for 3 years and have never changed a plug once in this entire time. The worry about short plug life is simply unfounded!

I'm going to use the same system on my newest project, a Top Flite Stinson which will be running a Satio 1.70 three cylinder radial. All the electronics are unnecessary.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:22 AM
strattac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for all the help guys.I think I will try your idea lquan.Did you also include some type of on/off switch to take the battery out of the circuit when you are not flying?
Old 01-24-2003, 02:42 AM
Grumpy Monkey
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Strattac,
Here is a basic pic of the system. The positive lead goes to the switch. A micro switch mounted to the throttle servo or a reg switch mounted like the radio switch will work. the other switch terminal goes the the center post on the plug. The negative lead goes to the ground at the engine mounting bolts.

Warren
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	49739_3988.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	30151  
Old 06-24-2003, 07:29 PM
flapbreaker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How do you charge the battery? And where would the charge jack plug into that system?
Old 06-24-2003, 11:02 PM
LQUAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

you need to get a set of this from Tower Hobbies or other fine hobby shop:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBC35

You need to connect or solder the ignitor terminals directly to the two ends of the battery. Becareful of the polarity! Mount the ignitor termial using the given bracket to the lip of nose. Cut a round hole about the size of your glow plug clip on the cowl. You can use your existing glow plug clip cable set to charge the battery. You can use the glow plug clip that come with the set to connect to your glow plug.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:40 AM
rorywquin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you buy the glow driver from South Herts Models (Telco) http://www.southhertsmodels.co.uk/ - it is electronic, fully automatic, small and light - The unit detects when the glow plug needs heating an supplies the correct amount of current. You need a separate battery but as the unit only supplies current when it is needed the battery does not have to be very big and lasts a long time between charges.

If you really need a glow driver - save yourself a lot of headaches and get one of these rather than messing around with some Heath Robinson affair!!

The sell for about $30-00 in the UK (they are available under a different name in the USA - Nelson) and have proved to be popular and reliable. Personally I am quite happy to spend a few extra $$$ for quality servos etc it it will keep an expensive plane flying.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:54 PM
daywalker
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: onboard glow driver

A couple of questions for the guys using just a battery. Exactly how do you connect the wires to the battery? I am a little nervous about soldering directly to the battery ends. Also, where do you connect a charge receptacle to that system? Does anyone have any photos of their installation?
Frank

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service