Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

carving aluminum spinners

Old 01-21-2003, 07:21 AM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default carving aluminum spinners

How do u carve out the slot in an alum spinner so it fits the prop..Andrew
Old 01-21-2003, 03:24 PM
LesUyeda
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use my Dremel tool sanding drum.

Les
Old 01-21-2003, 04:16 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yep, that's the best. Start with a small router bit like 1/8 dia. Try to not let it get away from you. Then go to 1/4 dia. drum. If you have a really big prop, the 1/2 inch dia. drum will make it look nice.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:51 AM
linclogs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's photos of how I've done it on a Great Planes 2.5" spinner (I think this is the same way LesUyeda and Goinstraightup describe it).

Make a template of the basic shape you want to cut. Use the existing holes to line up the template so the new holes are exactly opposite of each other on the sides of the spinner. Use a permanent marker (like a "Sharpie") or better yet, carefully scribe around the template to mark the outline to cut out.

I used Dremel grinding stones (size depends on diameter of area to be cut out). I use the sanding drums for final smoothing (along with appropriate needle files).

Always check the spinner on a balancer and adjust as needed.

The spinner shown is a Great Planes 2.5" spinner on a US Engines 41cc engine. I'm going to use this on a quarter scale J-5 Enterprises Stinson Voyager 105. The plans show a spinner with a 2.5" diameter and a 1 13/16" depth - an extremely "squat" spinner.

I searched all over for a similar spinner and the closest thing I came up with was a Tru-Turn FAI spinner, which measures 2.5" in diameter and 2.125" in depth. But information on Tru-Turn's web site states that particular spinner will take "Up to a Zinger 12 in. /12p Two Blade" prop. However Tru-Turn offers a "Special Slotting Option" where, for a fee, they will enlarge the slots to fit your choice of prop. As the Voyager plans call for using a Quadra type engine, which is basically what the US Engines motor is, and that engine calls for using an 18 - 8 through 18-12 prop, I emailed Tru-Turn to ask if their 2.5" FAI spinner could be slotted to fit that size prop. This was their reply:

"That 2-1/2" FAI Spinner is too small to safely slot for an 18" Prop. The
2-1/2" Standard MAY have enough meat to it for an 18" prop's slots, but I
would have to try it to be sure. We will not ship anything out of here that
may be questionable on structural integrity
Thanks
Ric"

Again, the Stinson kit called for a Quadra engine with a 2.5" spinner, so I didn't feel what I was asking for was an unheard of proposition. Nevertheless, I was faced with purchasing a spinner and enlarging the holes myself.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	49224_13557.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	30196  
Old 01-22-2003, 04:30 PM
jgiles-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great idea on using the template!

It's not fun having to go buy another spinner and start over because your holes are offset. Not that that's ever happened to me.... :-)

I always wondered why they come with such SMALL holes from the manufacturers? Granted you can't add material, but how many people are putting large aluminum spinners on planes with less than 10" props?