Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Starting an Enforcer or Force One

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Starting an Enforcer or Force One

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 07:13 AM
IMCub
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting an Enforcer or Force One

I've always like the pictures of the Enforcer and Force One delta wing planes. I've never seen one in person so I can't tell exactly what the relationship between the prop and the tail feathers is.

I'm not sure if the props are totally above the elevator or if it fits into a slot somehow.

Either way, is there enough room to put a standard starter on the prop nut to turn the motor over? Do you need and extension? Or perhaps only hand starts.

Thanks for any tribal knowledge you might be able to pass on to me.

Cheers!

Cub
Old 01-23-2003, 12:54 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Cub:

Had two Enforcers. Prop swings through a slot and there is plenty of room for a standard starter. However, I did put remote glow plug connections on both.

Dan
Old 01-23-2003, 03:37 PM
IMCub

Thanks Dan,

I'm still pretty new to RC ... so, by extension, I meant an extension on the starter shaft like on helo's. By extension, I'm assumming you mean a remote glow plug extension so you can start the engine even though the glow plug is relatively in accessible. Is this correct?

You had two ... does that mean you like them? Do they fly nice and slow like the ads say.

Again, Thanks!

Cub
Old 01-23-2003, 04:08 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never flown one, but I have seen them fly. I can't say I ever saw one fly slowly though. I'll be getting a chance to fly a real hot rod this spring- A friend has an Enforcer with a Dyna-jet on it that he wants me to take up on it's maiden flight!

Woo Hoooo!

(Can you see the goose bumps?)
Old 01-23-2003, 04:22 PM
dant-RCU

Cub:

No, you will not need an extension on the starter. The remote glow is a clip that fits over the glow plug with wires that move the actual glow igniter connection somewhere away from the engine. I mounted mine about half way in front of the engine on the right side of the fuse. I think I used a DuBro unit but there are many on the market (DuBro, Sullivan, McDaniel, etc) and all use the same principal.

On the Enforcer, if your glow plug igniter happens to fall off of the glow plug on the engine head, you will probably puncture the monokote behind the prop slot. (Don't ask). I eventually sheeted that area.

This airplane is fun to fly. You will not miss not having rudders either. Lands slowly. Stable in flight with no bad habits EXCEPT the usual delta wing thing where if you bleed off too much airspeed then attempt a bank and turn you are probably going to fall out of the sky. If you see the wings start to wobble, add power!! I now have a Delta Vortax (tractor delta) and it has the same characteristics.

Some construction hints.

Do not use the flexible rods that come in the kit to control the ailerons and elevator. Mount servos at the rear of the wing and use short pushrods.

Be sure to add the reflex to the ailerons (4 degrees UP) as shown on the plans. The plans also say to put the reflex in the elevator also. I have had better luck (as have others) with just reflexing the ailerons.

Make very sure that the fuse is not twisted before you glue the formers.

Make very sure that the wing ribs that are on either side of the vertical fins are at 90 degrees. Measure many times then glue. figure on gluing the vertical fins to the wing rather than use angle brackets and screws. USE GLUE.

Take you time building. The wing is not that hard to build but it is flimsy on the board until you start to anchor it with spars, etc.

Have fun...

Dan
Old 01-23-2003, 04:36 PM
IMCub

Thanks again Dan!

Sounds like you have a lot of delta wing experience. Any preferences from an ease of build (I am really slow) and love to fly perspectives?

Dave
Old 01-23-2003, 06:28 PM
dant-RCU

No preference as the Enforcer(s) was a kit and the Delta Vortax was the ARF version.

It took me about 6 weeks part-time to build the first Enforcer and a little less than a month for the second. Lessons learned I guess. I know a person who built an Enforcer and he had the wing completely done except for covering in 1 day (a Saturday). took him a week to get the entire plane built and flying (he was retired).

The Enforcer kit is not that difficult to build actually. I also have the Force One which I will build someday. Looking over the instruction manual I would say it would be slightly more difficult than the Enforcer due to the way that the fuse is constructed with "3/4 sawed triangle stock around compound curves". Also, the wing on the Force One is permanently attached whereas the Enforce wing is removable.

One more thing, I don't know what you are building on but the Enforcer wing is large. I build on a 32" solid core door and the wing just fits length wise (maybe an inch overhang, don't remember). You don't want much overhang building the wing.

Take your time, read the instructions a couple of times before you start. Start with the wing as you will need a finished wing to do the fuse.

I used 30 minute epoxy on the fire-wall and thin and medium CA on everything else.

THING TO REMEMBER:

When you build the wing you will build it UPSIDE DOWN!! So, with that said, make sure you check and double check everything before you take the cap off the glue bottle (don't ask me here either). On my SECOND Enforcer, I put small squares of masking tape on each rib, labeled it with the rib number and drew an arrow with the word "UP" next to it.

Pay close attention to the landing gear reinforcing doublers and the blocks themselves as it is easy to get them wrong.

Have fun.

Dan