Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What's your choice for propulsion system(s)?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Glow power only.
27.78%
Gasoline power only.
9.26%
Both gasoline and glow power.
24.07%
Electric power only.
1.85%
Electric and glow power.
12.96%
All three types of propulsion systems
14.81%
Wind, thermal power (Sailplanes).
0%
I'm interested in all of the above.
9.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

What's your choice for propulsion system(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Mode One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's your choice for propulsion system(s)?

I am interested in trying to determine the most popular type of propulsion system used in R/C aircraft. I don't know if this is the proper forum topic for this question as I don't know how much traffic Questions and Answers gets here on R/CU. However, it seemed the most logical place to ask. If you feel this question has been asked to many times, simply don't reply. However, being patient and submitting your opinion may be helpful to us, the R/C community, in getting our wants and desires across!

I see electric getting way more press in the magazines then I see real interest around my local area. I would be interested in electric; but, feel the costs are way to prohibitive, especially for the model sizes I am interested in!

If you see an omission I have made to the selections, please inform, I can always modify the poll!

Please pick the choice that most fits your interest!
Old 12-06-2006, 07:33 PM
flianbrian

Default RE: What's your choice for propulsion system(s)?

Rubber
Old 12-06-2006, 08:17 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Glow, don't know enough about Gas.

Peter Dowling aka Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 12-06-2006, 11:30 PM
fledermaus

I'd like to use electric but as already noted the cost of getting started is too high. I want to fly nothing smaller than 40-size planes and in fact I am moving towards 1/4 scale. Electrics on that size are just too much when you figure the cost of the motor, speed control and LiPo batteries to run it all. Plus a balancing LiPo charger...

When a motor plus speed control for a 60-size plane costs the same as a 2-stroke 60-size engine, I will probably start using electrics because they are cleaner and quieter, but in the meantime I'll fly glow and gas.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:41 PM
chashint

90 class 4 stroke glow engine
Old 12-07-2006, 12:55 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: LuftwaffeOberst

Glow, don't know enough about Gas.

Peter Dowling aka Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Gas is easier than glow. Get one and try it out. You'll be hooked. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 12-07-2006, 01:42 AM
andrew66

I picked gas and glow. both have their applications, but i like gas better (so much easier and cleaner) i dont like electrics due to their high cost, having to recharge batteries between flights or spending more money on another battery. i like to "gas up and go". the only batteries that i will ever have to worry about are ignition, RX, TX and glowdriver. (im usually finished for the day before my batteries need to be recharged)
sailplanes are cool, but i dont really have the time or towpilot to get into them right now (maybe when im retired and have more time for hobbies)
Old 12-07-2006, 01:56 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Currently I have an OS 46LA, OS 50SX, an RCV 90SP and a small electric. My next planned purchase will be an E-Flite 110 for a 1/7 Top Flite P-51B. Although I don't yet have any gas engines, I have two large kits that will be gas powered.

Scott
Old 12-07-2006, 05:47 AM
Mode One

With 16 votes in, 11 votes are for gas or glow. There are zero votes for stricktly electric. There are 3 interested in some or all types of propulsion systems and 2 are interested in all, plus sailplanes.

I am going to guess that the percentages will change very little, given more votes. This means almost 70% of us have little/no interest in electric power at this time. I would also guess that if electric were cheaper, people would probably be more interested. However, if right now 70% of us are not interested, so why is electric dominating the R/C press?
Old 12-07-2006, 06:45 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I voted "all" but what I am doing now is electric only. I like the easy logistics of small planes and electric works very well there.

One part of why this poll seems to favor glow and gas is quite likely that "electric only" people seem to frequent other forums or at least other parts of RCUniverse.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:38 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like Glow and gas.

Electrics can be a lot of fun for a small park flier that you can just fly around in your back yard or local park, but they get too pricy for me once you get up into the "Big-Boy-Toy" range.

Besides, it's just not the same without the roar of an engine!
Old 12-07-2006, 03:38 PM
rctrax

It would bwe better if they frequented some other universe. Since this hobby is about emulating full scale aviation when they begin to develop full scale aviation aircraft powered by electric motors I"maybe" will go over to electric models. At that point I may just quit.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Mode One

With 16 votes in, 11 votes are for gas or glow. There are zero votes for stricktly electric. There are 3 interested in some or all types of propulsion systems and 2 are interested in all, plus sailplanes.

I am going to guess that the percentages will change very little, given more votes. This means almost 70% of us have little/no interest in electric power at this time. I would also guess that if electric were cheaper, people would probably be more interested. However, if right now 70% of us are not interested, so why is electric dominating the R/C press?
I'm putting two and two together here and drawing this conclusion : 70% of the people who frequent the Q&A forum express little interest in electrics, but the RC publications are heavy on electric. Thus, it appears a high percentage of RCU people interested in electrics do not pay attention to the Q&A forum.

Which prompts the question, why do so few E-flyers look into the Q&A forum?

Beats me,
Dave Olson
Old 12-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Mode One

I was really interested in getting as much input as possible! I looked over the other forums to see if there was a better fit for the poll. I didn't really find one which would seem better, so I stuck it here.

I also don't think the R/C press pays as much attention to the general R/C population's interests as they should! However, this is a simple unsubstantiated opinion based on my thinking of myself as a fairly good representation of what a general R/Cer is interested in and having been in this hobby a long time. I think the magazines are very interested in selling advertising, so much so, that it might appear to slant the direction the hobby seems to be heading.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They make electric motors for planes?

Why?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:01 PM
ChuckW

Personally, I prefer a glow engine on anything above a 1/2A size. I honestly don't have a lot of experience with electirc but for smaller planes, I think it could make sense. The cost is an issue of course. By the time you buy a decent outrunner motor, speed controller, li-po battery and charger, you could buy several Norvel .074's. If you start talking about a .40 size or larger then the price really becomes an issue in my opinion. Plus, all you have to do with the glow engine between flights is refuel, no waiting for it to charge or swapping batteries.

Some people don't like glow engines because they have trouble getting them to run right. Once you understand the basics of what an engine is and how a carburetor works though, it isn't too hard if you ask me.

I've been training people at work to service forklifts that use brushless, 3-phase motors, with an electronic controler, etc. very similar to an RC motor, just a lot bigger. Their power, efficiency and reliability has kind of kindled my interest in electric power for RC. I've owned a few piece of **** foam electric planes in the past but nothing "real". I recently ordered the E-Yak combo sold by Quique Somenzini. It hasn't arrived yet but I think it might be a fun little plane.

So, I'm not anti-electric like some guys are but I don't think I'll be one of those prefers who prefers it over glow either. One of these days, I'll do something gas powered; I think the sound and scale flight characteristics are cool. Basically, if it flys, I really don't care what it is or what powers it; it's just fun.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:04 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: rctrax
Since this hobby is about emulating full scale aviation when they begin to develop full scale aviation aircraft powered by electric motors I"maybe" will go over to electric models. At that point I may just quit.
How do you know that I want to emulate full scale aviation??? Are you running a flat 4 in your Cub and a V12 in your Mustang?
Old 12-09-2006, 07:34 AM
Mode One

Only 46 opinions? Need more data, please help!
Old 12-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mode One
I think the magazines are very interested in selling advertising, so much so, that it might appear to slant the direction the hobby seems to be heading.
I think your right on target.

Magazines have no ethics anymore and they print what gets paid for. Electric companies are trying to promote their products and they are paying top dollar to advertise in the magazines. So, it looks like the hobby is being overtaken by electrics because thats 90% of what you see in the magazines.

It might appear to be slanting the direction the hobby is taking, but gas and glow will always be king.

I'm not ANTI-ELECTRIC, but I prefer the sound of an internal combustion engine. I'll buy an electric when I can power a 40 size sport plane for $100. Right now--thats not possible. Why on earth would I spend $400 on electric power when I can go buy a 46 or 50 size glow engine for around $100--$150?

I've asked guys, "How much does it cost to power that 32oz 3D Edge 540 ya got there?" And every one of them will beat around the bush and dodge the question. I have to get REAL specific and ask them, "Whats the motor cost?" Okay, $75. "Alright, now whats the speed controller cost for that brushless motor?" $125. Okay. "Now whats that 1500mah lithium battery cost so that you can fly it for 15 minutes doing 3D?" Okay, another $100. "And whats all the little connectors and the little RX cost?" Okay, another $50.

"HMMMMMMMM--so you got $375 in the electric power system for a 34" wingspan Edge 540 3D plane and it weighs 32oz and you can't fly it in any wind over 3MPH?" Thats when I laugh at the guy.

As I said, I'm not anti-electric. I just think it's rediculously overpriced for what it does. Maybe in 5yrs if it gets really cheap so I could power that little Edge 540 for $75 I'd try it. But for right now--it would be stupid for me to spend that kind of money on them. Thats just not in my budget.

Is it cool? Oh yeah!! It flies, so I like it. But, I just can't afford that kind of money right now. I'd rather spend $375 on a 40cc gasser and stick it in a 78" sport plane and go fly it around in a 10MPH wind if it's blowing a little today.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:18 AM
Mode One

rcpilet, You've hit the nail square on the head as far as cost is concerened. Your opinion is fairly close to mine on the elecrtric issue. I would like to try it; but, feel it IS cost prohibitive, at least at this time. I also like engines and even if I got involved in electric, I think they would take a back seat to glow & gas power.