Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What Plane for a OS Pegasus

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What Plane for a OS Pegasus

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 08:33 AM
styk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Plane for a OS Pegasus

Hi folks
Can anyone help me here Ive been looking at and wanting an OS Pegasus for i think the last twenty years or so but couldnt warrant or afford an outlay like that If my memory is right I think they were about 2000 UK Pounds when i first started looking at them Now i see Tower Hobbies is selling them for 1300 dollars With the exchange rate creeping up to nearly 2 dollars to the pound i dont think there is a better time to buy one so guess what i am finally going to treat myself to one Here's my problem Can anybody point me towards a suitable kit to put one in i was thinking along the lines of a 1/4 scale cub or similar, just a nice low or high wing scale plane,nothing ballistic Also can anyone thats got a Pegasus give me any kind of feedback on what they are like Hoping you kind people out there can help me
All the very best from Scotland
Styk
Old 12-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: What Plane for a OS Gemini

Styk: Have a look at the Sig Rascal 110. I have witnessed one flying with the 1.60 twin and it seemed a perfect combination if you are looking for a gentle high wing floater.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:02 AM
styk

Hi Kmot
Thanks very much for your reply I am so sorry Kmot i just couldnt understand your answer wondering why you were talking about a 1.60 till it hit me square in the face I posted the question asking about a Gemini I actually meant to ask about the OS Pegasus I am so sorry for wasting your time I cant believe i got the name wrong after wanting one for so long You dont happen to have any suggestions for the Pegasus do you Something like the Rascal

Once again so sorry for the confusion
all the best
Styk
Old 12-10-2006, 04:14 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

styk,

I use the Gemini 1.60 in my 1/5th scale WACO's. The Peasus is a little much for the 1/4 scale cub, but is right on the money for the Balsa USA 1/3 Cub. I have several friends who are using that combo, and they really like it.

Too often, builders and assemblers overpower the planes (the Rascal 110 with the Gemini is a perfect example) but I think you will find the third scale Cub with the Pegasus to be on the money. Nice flight characteristics, and a nice sound to go with it. I'd fly it with 24" X 6 wooden prop, and enjoy the stink out of it.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Kmot

That's alright styk, lol. I guess I should have "clued in" also when I read $1300!!

Anyway, I have also witnessed a Pegasus in a Piper Cub. Scale look cannot be more accurate. And the Cub is also a gentle floater. I am not sure what scale this plane was, though. Perhaps you can judge by the size of the pilot next to it?

Old 12-10-2006, 05:27 PM
styk

Hi Kmot
thanks very much for the pictures and info I would say that the cub in the photos isnt anymore than 1/4 scale would you ? Looks really nice though Have you any more suggestions regarding a suitable airplane for the Pegasus
All the best
Styk
Old 12-10-2006, 05:31 PM
styk

Hi Stickbuilder
Thanks very much for your time in answering my query can you think of anything else apart from a cub that the Pegasus would be fine in
All the best
Styk
Old 12-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Kmot

Default RE: What Plane for a OS Pegasus

Perhaps a Spacewalker? Or a Flybaby?
Old 12-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: styk

Hi Stickbuilder
Thanks very much for your time in answering my query can you think of anything else apart from a cub that the Pegasus would be fine in
All the best
Styk
I would say that almost anything that used the Continental or Lycoming 4 cyl boxer engine would be a cantidate for this engine (as long as you keep the weight down) Maybe even the 1/3rd acale Balsa USA Ercoupe. or as Kmot said The Flybaby, or the Spacewalker. They would need to fly on the wing and not on the prop. The Pegasus is not a powerhouse when compared to other engines in the same size range. It just looks and sounds better. Of course we old scale phartes are not looking for 3-D abilities in our engines. The Fairchild that Ikon N'west offers would be a good airframe for this engine as well. I'm sure that some of the larger Monocoupes and perhaps even a Howard Ike would work as well. The Ikon L-19/O1E would be nice with it as well.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-10-2006, 11:40 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: What Plane for a OS Pegasus

I have had a NIB Pegasus laying around for a decade and have yet to come up with my ideal plane for it.

One that I keep coming back to is the Swift Fury that the late Roy LoPresti tried to bring to the market.
At this point I would have to find a Globe Swift plan and modify it to the Fury configuration.

The problem that I have with Cubs and the four cylinder engine is that at anything above idle it sounds like it is going at 200 knots plus while the airframe is plodding through the sky.

In a high wing fixed gear I would probably consider a clipped wing Taylorcraft or something of that sort.

The motors that I have seen flown have all performed well but as was said in another post, they are not the most powerfull for their size. That aside I like all multi cylinder fourstrokes ad fly several of them just because I can. Good luck with what ever you choose.