Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Why "Nitro"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:28 PM
SomePeopleHaveNoSenseOfHumor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why "Nitro"?

When did everything start being called "nitro" this and "nitro" that? I've been out of the R/C game for about 20 years, but back then we had glow engines and glow fuel. Now everything seems to have the word nitro in it.

It seems like this started with cars and has now spread to planes and helicopters, although the fuel we use is really methanol with a small percentage of nitromethane.

Is this some kind of marketing ploy that's come up in the last few years?
Old 12-20-2006, 01:02 PM
onepern

Default RE: Why "Nitro"?

It’s a run over from drag racing and such top fuel cars run nitro unlimited tractor pull class runs nitro. So nitro is associated with performance
Old 12-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cunning Linguist

When did everything start being called "nitro" this and "nitro" that? I've been out of the R/C game for about 20 years, but back then we had glow engines and glow fuel. Now everything seems to have the word nitro in it.

It seems like this started with cars and has now spread to planes and helicopters, although the fuel we use is really methanol with a small percentage of nitromethane.

Is this some kind of marketing ploy that's come up in the last few years?
Yes, a clever play on words. Like your nickname. By the way, what's the difference between a leprechaun and a jogging hooker?

Dave Olson
Old 12-20-2006, 01:24 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I gotta hear the answer to that question...
Old 12-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree. I think it got started by confused electric fliers and R/C car drivers. I still insist on calling "glow fuel" as that. Nitro" is sometimes in it; 15% in mine, but it's not a major ingredient. We should call it "Oil" in that case, as there's 18 to 20% of that. "Nitro" is third on the list.

I don't call a McDonalds Coke an "Ice". Maybe I should. That's 50%!

"Gas" is gasoline, and my Zenoah drinks that.

Kids just like saying "Nitro". Maybe it's a dirty word?
Old 12-20-2006, 01:41 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Really to differentiate between true gas engines, electric and nitro powered models.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What about the ones burning methane without nitromethane added? Zero 0% nitro - what most trainers really could use.

I think it's something Freudian about the connotations of danger associated with the other "Nitro" - nitroglycerene. Living vicariously through their models.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: daven

I gotta hear the answer to that question...
A Leprechaun is a cunning runt....

Best wishes
Dave Olson
Old 12-20-2006, 07:41 PM
flianbrian

I guess "nitro" sounds kewl and macho [sm=punching.gif] and "glow" is for those with delicate sensibilities? [sm=red_smile.gif]
Old 12-20-2006, 08:36 PM
meaden

What sounds faster to you?

METHANOL!

GAS!

NITRO!

Old 12-21-2006, 12:47 PM
SomePeopleHaveNoSenseOfHumor

None of them sounds faster to me. Besides, speed is not the be-all end-all of R/C. If it was, I'd be flying turbines, which certainly don't run on "nitro".
Old 12-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the RC car world is mostly pre teens and teens, so marketing hype with no reality has more effect. If you think Nitro is a bad name, how bout "Turbo" glow plugs? Just Nelson style glow plugs, not meant for a turbine or engine with a turbocharger. Neither exist in the RC car world.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:12 PM
LANNYBOB

nitro all the way baby, love the taste and smell of it.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: SomePeopleHaveNoSenseOfHumor

None of them sounds faster to me. Besides, speed is not the be-all end-all of R/C. If it was, I'd be flying turbines, which certainly don't run on "nitro".

Most turbines can run on any fuel, as long as the fuel lines can hold up. No preignition detonation problems to worry about. I know some model turbines have been switched from LP , kerosine, and diesel fuel with no problem. A nitro powered jet would be intresting.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:31 PM
ELTIGRE

certainly true. full size turbines can , with some limitations run on Jet A-1, JP-4, 5 , 8, pure kero or yes gasoline.not every gasoline is a candidate however as some contain aditives harmful to the turbine blades & burner cans & adjustments are made to the fuel control.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:43 PM
ArmedZagi

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot
Neither exist in the RC car world.

....Actually if you take a look over in the "Extreme speed prop planes" forums theres a thread with this in it... [link=http://www.rbinnovations.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21?osCsid=d11e33c1ae482743bf8b90f3fe256f23]http://www.rbinnovations.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21?osCsid=d11e33c1ae482743bf8b90f3fe256f23[/link]

While its impractical...it would have some serious wow factor at the field...
Old 12-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's the car guys.

Same guys that constantly post questions about their car GLOW engines in the GAS engines forum. I move 3 or 4 of them per week over to the car engines forum.

I'm a stickler for the terminology.

A GLOW engine runs on methanol and oil. Uses a glow plug and basically deisels itself once you get it lit. SOME of it has nitromethane in it and some of it doesn't. Car kids think you need 30% nitro to make your car engine run and truth be told--their engines would run totally fine on 5%. Marketing hype.

A GAS engine runs on gasoline and 2-stroke oil. Has a positive spark ignition system. These guys love to argue about what oil and what ratio. Truth be told--they could run ANY 2-stroke oil in their engines if they would just mix it at proper ratios and the engines would last long enough to hit the ground some day in the future without a single scored piston or stuck ring.

A TURBINE runs on "kerosene" of sorts and is for the guys with too much money and usually not enough thumbs to handle the darn thing. I have found a direct correlation between the price of the jet and the life expectancy of the model. The cheap ones can sometimes last as long as the average car glow engine. About 1/2 a season. The expensive ones last sometimes as little as 3 seconds. [sm=lol.gif]
Old 12-26-2006, 08:14 PM
flynte

ORIGINAL: ELTIGRE

certainly true. full size turbines can , with some limitations run on Jet A-1, JP-4, 5 , 8, pure kero or yes gasoline.not every gasoline is a candidate however as some contain aditives harmful to the turbine blades & burner cans & adjustments are made to the fuel control.
I have seen full size turbines running on natural gas. They are used in compressor stations on natural gas pipelines. Endless supply of fuel right from the pipeline.

flynte
Old 12-26-2006, 10:48 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don,t care what the RC car kids call it.

I don,t care what any manufacturer cares to call it in order to move product to the kids.

I don,t care what any magazine cares to call in order to move product to the kids so they can in turn sell more advertizing (product)

Glow engines will always be glow engines to me. Much in the same way ARF's are assembled and never built by the customer. Its as simple as that and of course only just my opinion but that is not likely to change in the pursuit of a silly 'cool factor'.

John
Old 01-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Sport_Pilot

[quote]ORIGINAL: ArmedZagi

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot
Neither exist in the RC car world.

....Actually if you take a look over in the "Extreme speed prop planes" forums theres a thread with this in it... [link=http://www.rbinnovations.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21?osCsid=d11e33c1ae482743bf8b90f3fe256f23]http://www.rbinnovations.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21?osCsid=d11e33c1ae482743bf8b90f3fe256f23[/link]

While its impractical...it would have some serious wow factor at the field...
[/quote

That is a supercharger, not turbocharger. So I was correct.