Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Retiring a Plane

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Retiring a Plane

Old 12-20-2006, 08:10 PM
meaden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retiring a Plane

I've noticed quite a few post that mention "retired" planes. Not crashed. It's old, you've moved on to other things, it's seen better days...whatever.

What do you do when you retire a plane? Part it out? Sell it? Toss it out with the trash? Hang it on a stand out front like the Air Force? Kamikaze?
Old 12-20-2006, 08:39 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Retiring a Plane

One of the guys in our club knows an old man who owns an "antique" shop. He lets this guy know when he's got something available, or the guy will ask him for something in particular. He recently retired his 1/4 BUSA Nieuport 17; took the servos, radio and engine out, made a dummy rotary, put a scale prop on it and sold it to the antique guy for $400+. That guy in turn sold it for double or better that amount to someone who just wanted a plane to hang from the rafters of their living room. They've also sold to restaurants like Rockola who hang stuff to display. He's gotten several hundred for sport scale ARF's that he's done some detailing on. I'm gonna see if I can retire some of mine that way, when it's time.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:09 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: meaden

I've noticed quite a few post that mention "retired" planes. Not crashed. It's old, you've moved on to other things, it's seen better days...whatever.

What do you do when you retire a plane? Part it out? Sell it? Toss it out with the trash? Hang it on a stand out front like the Air Force? Kamikaze?
I have a Tequila Sunrise 40, a Kadet Senorita, and a V-Mar Extra, all with hundreds and hundreds of flights on them. I put them in the club newsletter, to sell for a modest donation to the club. Got no takers, so they're going in the trash. They all fly okay, I just have newer, bigger, neater planes to fly & take up space in the hanger. And I'm out of space.

So, out they go. Farewell old friends!

Dave Olson
Old 12-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Strat2003

I can't bear to part with them. Maybe it's different in the ARF era, but selling or giving away something I spent so much time building is like selling my kid.

Everyghing goes into the attic. Sometimes, years later, they come out, are refurbished and enjoyed all over again.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I'm done with 'em they's used up.

I have given some away, several were rekitted in spectacular fashion, at least two were still flying but were so heavy from repairs and had so many cracked wing ribs that they rattled so I just discontinued the ground maintenance and parted them out. When I get enough of a pile of pieces I have a bonfire and return them the to dust and the whims of air currents. (With a suitable toasting ceremony, of course.)

I can see where a really detailed scale model would deserve a dignified retirement. Ain't nothing I build so lovely that I want to just look at it if it is no longer airworthy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59568.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	581271  
Old 12-21-2006, 11:36 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I usually give them to my dad, and within a few weeks, he gives them a proper burial.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Flak

Fire is the only "Proper" farewell.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:24 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Retiring a plane can take many forms.

1983 – I built and flew a Pica Focke wulf 190 D-9 until 1992 when the front end was getting to loose to be safe. I could not bring my self to sacrifice it to the cloud gods so it languished in my work shop until 2004 when I started to strap engines on it and attempt to fly it again. 12 years prior I could not bring my self to drill the holes and squirt in CA to shore up the week joints, but after that time passing and missing how great it flew I took the plunge and it fly’s once more.

1996 – I built a Flop tite Hollywood zero to dog fight my son flying a P-51D. I did not take long to realize the firewalls and center sections were taking a beating. A few years back I had the opportunity to replace the center section (due to a poor decision on my part). At the time I could not come up with a good way to replace the firewall )which also needed replacing) without breaking the mounting point for the LE of the wing. At some point I will have to replace the firewall or sacrifice to the cloud gods (depends on amount of work required).

1998 - built VQ Macchi 205 ARF . It had a really bad hori. Stab flutter problem right from the start, but by reducing engine size, changing flying practices, and strengthening the area It was serviceable till 2001. This of coarse meant that it, and ARF, was no longer suited for its intended purpose all weather flyer. This coupled with the fact that all the plastic parts were cracking in spite of being foamed meant it did not see a lot of air time. On its last flight it had a E servo fail (which meant the flutter was still there) and while the damage was minor I decided not to rebuild. Retirement for a plane that did not perform is rather cruel, I gave it to the ladies of the house and they finished the job the crash had started and the peaces were put in the garbage.

So in my hanger there are three types of retirement.
-Hold
-Trash
-Sacrifice to the cloud gods – If a plane has served me well and is no longer reliable or serviceable it gets burned at one of the bonfires we have at the house. Now that the kids are teens and early twenties they use this as an excuse to have a bunch of friends over. In the past a bunch of us (fliers) would meet at the field at the end of the flying season pile all our sacrifices (planes) together and torch them. But as we got older the number of planes we had to burn dwindled and this ritual died out.

I hope you guys enjoyed this
Joe

Old 12-21-2006, 08:22 PM
meaden

Thanks for your replies! Part of my question was to provoke some humor and part serious. I have a couple of planes that are 10+ years old that are still in good flying shape. I've lost interest in them (moved on to other things) and I'm not sure what to do with them. I guess selling them or parting them out is the best option to make room in the hanger. It's hard to see a plane that's served it's purpose move on...

Charlie P.
If you have a larger version of that picture send it to me, that's great!
Old 12-21-2006, 08:40 PM
WartedEmperor

1.I would first try to sell it as a whole plane

2.Then if nobody bought I would part it out in peices till it is all gone.

3.If neither one of these did not work I would take it up. Then I would load up my 12 guage shotgun and let her come down in some glory.

3. Altenative-Or you could try to shot Roman Candles at it till it lights on fire. I think this would look really cool. I would be really cool when it hits the fuel tank. This would be cooler than just lighting it on fire it a barrel or something.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:35 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've taken them to fly-ins flown them then roled them back to my dining fly and put the price tag on it. that works if i'm willing to deal.

arf boxes make great storage boxes, what the box does not cover brown paper bags can. this way I can keep the favorites, or ones i think I may come back too. Ovcoarse you need you remove radio and engine and move then (box, other plane, or sell).

Joe
Old 12-23-2006, 10:07 AM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

At the start ( or end ) of the flying season, have a bon fire of crashed and old planes to feed the plane gods.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:45 PM
ArmedZagi

I would just like to say that anyone who feels the need to just throw them away....feel free to send them my way. Heck I'd even pay shipping