Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Charge it, again & again ect.

Old 01-29-2003, 02:21 AM
kennydee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Charge it, again & again ect.

OK, I finally rigged up an inexpensive trickle charger for my 8 cell packs(I just used a transmitter charger and put the appropriate connector on the 9.6V charge lead). I currently have a brand new 8 cell 700 mah nicad on trickle charge. It's charging at roughly 1/10 C. I will let it trickle charge for about 24 hours. Then what do I do? Do I go ahead and use the battery in flight or do I cycle it a time or two before I put it in the plane?
Old 01-29-2003, 03:54 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't know much about your trickle charger, but I would buy a trickle charger made for transmitters unless you know a lot about electronics and how to make one. I don't, thats why I buy commercial equipt. I used one someone made one time and ruined 2 batteries with it. You do need to fully charge a new battery, not trickle it. I would charge and cycle it a couple times before use just to make sure it is in good shape. Then charge if fully and put the trickle charger on it. That way it is going to hold a full charge. If you put the trickle charger on it when it is dead, it will still be dead when you go to use it.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:26 PM
rplumbo
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As far as I know current is current. 8 cells is 8 cells. That 8 cell pack is no different than a Tx 8 cell pack. Slow charging is better for packs anyway, when done for the proper amount of time. Go to RadicalRC.com, they have a charge time calculator which will tell you exactly how long to charge for. If you want another opinion, go the battery discussion forum on this site. There's a guy by the name of Red who has devoted his life to batteries and will be able to tell you definitively.

Have fun!
Reid
Old 01-29-2003, 05:19 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If that charger is meant for that size pack and is charging at 70ma, then you are correct in that it is charging at C/10. That is the generally accepted slow charge rate. 24 hours is plenty for a 700ma pack. Use a loaded voltmeter to check it.

You can also try asking this question in the battery forum and Red will give you the straight scoop.

Mike
Old 01-30-2003, 01:52 AM
kennydee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info. Flyboy, I'm not sure I understand your reply. I'm using a transmitter wall charger to charge my Electrajet and Ferias batteries at 1/10 C or about 70 mah. I understand it's good to do that with brand new batteries. To Mhawker, I checked with the voltmeter and everything seems fine. By the way, I flew the Electrajet for the first time this afternoon and I really enjoyed it.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:56 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just be sure you use a "loaded" voltmeter. Your servos and RX put a load on the battery, so you need to simulate that load when testing. A standard voltmeter will not give you the reading you need.

Go to www.rcbatteryclinic.com and Red has a way to build a "load". That is what I use.

Take it easy.

Mike
Old 01-30-2003, 03:17 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry, I think I missunderstood what you were doing. I appoligize for the bad information.