Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

CA hinges?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 02:38 AM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA hinges?

Are these hinges any good? I have been seeing them supplied in some of the Arfs I've been building, but I have always liked the more secure heavier hinged dubro or GP style. They look like they may crack or fatigue after a little use. To be honest, they scare the hell out of me.
Old 02-11-2002, 02:44 AM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

Default CA hinges?

Do a search on "CA hinges". There was quite a quite long thread relating to them.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:33 PM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

Default CA hinges

I've used CA hinges on over 30 planes I've built for myself, and others. I havent had one fail yet. I actually prefer them over the Dubro hinges. They are much easier to use, you dont need to worry about aligning them, and they hold glue very well. Just stick them in the slot, and run a few drops of CA on them, Presto! They dont get brittle, and they actually hold stronger and longer than Dubro hinges. I would recommend them for any planes .25-1.80 size. Monokote hinges work best for small planes.

Good Luck!
Old 02-12-2002, 04:47 PM
glowplug

Default CA hinges?

I actually installed my first set of CA hinges on the ailerons of a Thunder Tiger Lazy Tiger 51 last night. The other ARF's I have built all had pinned hinges. The CA hinges were a piece of cake. I think I may have used just a little too much CA on the first few just because I was being over-cautious, but they turned out fine. In my opinion they were much faster than installing pinned hinges.

Mike
Old 02-12-2002, 05:04 PM
A10FLYR

Default CA hinges?

Never had that problem..I always go back over 2 or 3 times.....till the CA quits wicking in.
Old 02-12-2002, 06:02 PM
JRC

Default Don't re-glue!!!

The thing to remember is that once you have glued in a CA hinge and allowed the CA to harden before flexing - which establishes the hinge line - Do NOT ever apply more glue to the hinge!!!

When the glue hardens and you flex the control surface you create a crease or bend where the hinge will flex - If you put more glue on after that it will fill that crease and will probably lead to premature failure of the hinge!

It only takes a little glue wicked in from both sides to glue them in. The best thing that I have found is to get one of those real small pointy glue bottle ends to use for getting the glue right to the hinge and not all over the wing.....

And to really make them easy to install - get the Great Planes SLot Machine. Makes really nice pockets for the hinges that fit perfect every time!
Old 02-12-2002, 08:41 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default CA hinges?

I've used these on several planes. GreatPlanes includes them in several of thier kits. I built my first EXTRA300, and used these hinges just as instructed. The plane met an unfortunate demise, and the only thing left intact was...you guessed it....the hinge-lines. I inspected the wreckage thoroughly, and not one of these hinges let loose. That's right, totalled airplane, and the only thing surviving was hinges, and several splinters of wood.
These hinges are very strong if installed properly. I've since built another EXTRA, and did'nt hesitate to use the hinges again. They are very simple to install, to simple for some I guess.
Good luck.
Old 02-12-2002, 11:15 PM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

Default CA hinges?

I use CA hinges, however I use epoxy instead of CA. Never had one fail. Daz...
Old 02-13-2002, 02:33 AM
A10FLYR

Default CA hinges?

Don't reglue!!

I guess I should have said I go back and reapply CA 2 or 3 times in the same session. Once the CA has dried/cured I don't reglue. But I'm sure there is enough CA! On slots that were cut by anything other than a #11 blade I use gapfilling CA for the third and final application of the session.
Old 02-13-2002, 03:21 AM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Default CA hinges?

Thanks guys, had my doubts about them. I will go ahead and install them in the Taylorcraft.
Old 02-15-2002, 07:44 AM
twister
My Feedback: (12)

Default CA hinges?

I have only had 1 CA hinge fail me and it was one of those paper thin ones by who know's what company. I love them nice thick CA hinges by Great Planes!! And do not just glue half of them in at a time while the aileron is not attached to the wing, have everything hooked up before gluing!!!
Old 02-23-2002, 03:39 AM
gene2586
My Feedback: (11)

Default CA hinges?

My experience with CA hinges is also very posative! i've used them up through 60 size planes with no problem ... They work best if the slot is not too big , cut it carefully!! you can easily reenforce them too by drilling a1/16 hole through the middle of
each side AFTER it is glued in place and ca a round toothpick
through the hole and cut off flush! gene2586
Old 02-23-2002, 04:25 AM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

Default CA hinges?

If you have any doubts glue one in a piece of balsa and try to pull it out...................
Old 02-24-2002, 11:10 AM
JBH
Banned

Default Re: CA hinges?

Originally posted by chook
Are these hinges any good?
I believe that epoxied in Klett nylon pin hinges are much better. The only time I use the CA hinges is when I'm just too lazy to cut out for Klett's.
Old 02-24-2002, 11:03 PM
rwh

Default Crayon!

Don't forget to draw a crayon line down the middle of both sides of the hinge!

The wax will indicate the center line of the hinge during assembly and will repel the CA to keep the hinge flexible. The hinged surface will be much more flexible with this method, and there is no danger of hinge cracking.

If you're clever, you can pick a color of crayon that helps to hide the hinge.