Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Suggestions On "repainting" ?

Old 01-30-2003, 12:06 AM
VADERsf340

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Suggestions On "repainting" ?

Suggestions Please.........I have a Gaint Scale Planes F4U Corsair that has already been painted.....however I would like to "REPAINT" it BLUE on top and GRAY on bottom or maybe just paint the entire plane BLUE. It has a fiberglass fuselage with sheeted foam wings covered in solortex cloth covering. What kind of paint and should it be fuel proof....should I prime before I paint..... What are some simple steps I can do to accomplish this task? Again this does not have to win contests but would like it to look descent. Thank-you in advance for your ideas....JG
Old 01-30-2003, 04:53 AM
Giant Scale

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't think there is a simple solution to what you are asking. Alot will depend on your painting skills and the condition of the model you are painting. When you say you want to repaint do you want to paint in one color or an elaborate camo scheme. How good do you want the finish to look?
Are you planning on removing the cloth covering or do you just want to repaint it. I am not familiar with this material will it accept paint? If I was to take on this project I would probably use an automotive touch up gun or spray gun. If you want to achieve scale colors these will have to be custom mixed if using automotive paint. There are model paints available such as Perfect Paint that are mixed to match military colors. Once you picked your materials, I would remove the cloth covering. Cover the balsa with a layer of 3/4oz fiberglass and epoxy resin. Prime and fill the surface as necessary to achieve a smooth surface. Another alternative although not as scale would be to use an iron on type of cloth covering. IMHO a painted surface looks far superior to iron on covering on a warbird. The fiberglass fuselage can be sanded,filled and primed. Once everything is smooth you can apply your color coats. You may want to have the paint applied at a local body shop if you don't want to invest in all the equipment or you don't have the skills. You can save money if you do all the prep work which is the most time consuming. If you decide to go this route you will have a plane you can be proud of. It is alot of work to achieve a scale finish but definitly worth it.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:50 PM
VADERsf340

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the input Gaint Scale.....Its a brand-new A/C thats almost complete. However due to some sloppy epoxying on my part some of the surfaces are covered in dried epoxy(smeared) which is shinny over the factory "FLAT" finish I thought it would look nicer if I just repainted it. I was thinking cleaning it first then prime it, wet sand it, prime it again and wet sand once again. Finally paint it....Blue on top surfaces and Grayish on the bottom. This plane is not going to be in any static events or anything but would like it to fairly nice....I was going to get the paint at RYDERS...don't know which though! Well once again thx for the ideas....JGJR.