Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

help starting a cold engine

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

help starting a cold engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 09:14 PM
1fasthitman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help starting a cold engine

I live in Wisconsin. In the winter months it can get quite cold at the air field. When our models sit between flights, the engines get pretty
cold, and quite often won't start. I've tried hotter glow plugs and use an electric starter. Is there anything else I can do besides warming up
my plane inside my car?
Old 01-01-2007, 09:30 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: help starting a cold engine

A cold weather trick I've used is to put the cylinder in the exhaust pipe of your car if it is accessible. Otherwise, warm it up in your car. I guess you could wrap one of those chemical hand warmers around the cylinder.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Flying freak

ORIGINAL: mscic-RCU

A cold weather trick I've used is to put the cylinder in the exhaust pipe of your car if it is accessible. Otherwise, warm it up in your car. I guess you could wrap one of those chemical hand warmers around the cylinder.

The chemical hand warms work great. go for the foot ones if there left open to air they get much warmer without having to shack it forever wrap it aroun the cylider when not flying they last about 6 hourse so ecpect to use one everytime you go when y ou want to fly just remove from engine trow in/ontop of field bax start ingine and go when you land trow it back on the cylinder... works great and your not always trying to shove the cylinder in your tail pipe
Old 01-01-2007, 10:36 PM
masonman

Just a lil sqwert of zippo lighter fuel.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trick I've used for many years is to use just
a light touch of ether after I give the engine a good prime.

Works great even in the single numbers.

Regards.
Roby
Old 01-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

My hat is off to you guys who fly in that temperature. I normally wimp out when the temp gets below 60.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:15 PM
RVman

I have left the engines running between flights, only shut them off while fueling. Just put it in a restraint and leave it at a high idle, and turn off the reciever.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Newc

A couple of drops of lighter fluid like masonman suggests has always worked for me.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:32 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

I used to fly in the single digit temperatures. Warming the engine with my cars exhaust always worked for me.
I tried ether once. I must have used too much The engine backfired and sent the prop right off of the engine and into my side.
Good thing it was so cold. My coat, sweatshirt, T-shirt and undershirt stopped the spinning prop before it hit skin!
Good luck out there! I'll stick to building and sim time until spring!
Doug
Old 01-03-2007, 08:09 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: masonman

Just a lil sqwert of zippo lighter fuel.
Me too...works the charm....
Old 01-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Villa

I flew year round in Western PA. A small squirt of Zippo Lighter Fluid, one or two flics of the prop, put on the glow driver and use the electric starter. Fires right up. Keep the glow driver warm by keeping it in a pocker next to your body.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:30 PM
KI8FR

I fly all winter in Mi. well win the wind is low so I can lol. all I do is put a shot of WD-40 in the carb... It will start right up.. no prob..
Old 01-06-2007, 08:35 PM
edward cobb

the wd40 will not work anymore, they must have changed it. Best advice i can give you is to relocate to a warmer part of the country. We welcome you rc yanks in my part of the country. remember your only a damn yankee if you don't fly rc or you come to visit and stay.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:58 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Yes, a few drops of lighter fluid (naptha) in the carb. Also, if you are using a glow stick (with internal 1.2 V battery), use a power panel instead. The glow plugs like 1.5 V in cold weather.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:32 AM
KI8FR

wd 40 not work? I used it to day and it is 36 up here in Mi. It worked grate for me in my st 75

I do not think I got a old can but I mite.

Paul
Old 01-13-2007, 07:13 PM
ryanglindy

Well, I live in Sun Valley, Idaho, and it dropped to -15 last night. I've only had my trainer up twice, so I was bent on getting it in the air today. It warmed up to 3 degrees for me. Tell me if this is a normal cold weather problem. I have an Evolution .45(trainer system) with an O.S. #8 plug. It started okay using the power starter, but after 3 tanks I still couldn't get it to run good. It would idle fine, throttle response was good, but it would only hold 1/2 to full throttle for about 5 seconds before dogging out and dying if I didn't cut the throttle fast enough. Then it would take a minute to respond to throttle input without dying, then the same thing all over again. I went richer and leaner both for about an hour and a half, with no real change. Granted, I have never been able to get the engine running great, even in warmer weather(like in the 20's), but I'd like to go flying, and I ain't waitin' 'til summer. I had the head wrapped with foil tape as well. I have heard one person say that his Evo didn't like to run in the cold. Any thoughts or insights? I'm about ready to try an O.S. just to see if that's it.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Newc

I had the head wrapped with foil tape as well.
It was sounding like it was running hot when I was first reading through your post, and then I saw the quoted phrase and am more convinced that this is the case. Not allowing the head to cool is likely to cause problems and not solve them.

Since the engine has never run correctly, I'd suggest looking through your entire fuel setup as a starting point. You may have a kink, a blob of crap in the tank or a small hole in the fuel line or any of a number of other problems. Do you have a more experienced flyer in the area - perhaps in your club - that can lend a hand to get the engine running correctly in more normal temperatures before trying to adjust for cold weather?
Old 01-13-2007, 10:24 PM
ryanglindy

I didn't try running it without the tape, so that could definitely be the problem. I really do need to meet up with someone. So far two people have messed with it at the field and couldn't get it running quite right. We've flushed the entire fuel system twice, including re-rigging the tank, as well as replaced all the tubing, still not better. The only club is in Twin Falls, about 1 1/2 hours away, and not many of them fly in the winter. Anyway, thanks for the info. I guess I'll practice my patience and wait until I can meet up with someone else. With my vast experience it could be something extremely simple and obvious, LOL.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:58 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

I like the tail pipe trick. While you are in the car warming up between flights, just put your motor really close to the tailpipe exhaust for five minutes and they should start.