Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Help Converting a Super Sportster Ep to Glow..

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Help Converting a Super Sportster Ep to Glow..

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 11:59 PM
Vendetta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Converting a Super Sportster Ep to Glow..

was posted elsewhere but moved to this section...

I was between the .25 LA and the .25 FX and have decided the .25 LA should be more than enough power. My questions....

1) I know I need to add a 1/8" Firewall to strengthen it for the glow engine. How do I go it? Do I cut the existing mount off flush with the firewall and Epoxy a new layer of 1/8" over it to mount the Hayes KM-30 Motor Mount ?

2) I know the engine should be offset by a small amount to counteract the torque. Is that something thats already build into the engine mount or so I need to shim the mount when installing?

3) also planing on using a 9x6 will that run ok?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81115.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	588756  
Old 01-02-2007, 12:06 PM
opjose

Default RE: Help Converting a Super Sportster Ep to Glow..

If you are trying to convert it just to get more power, check the other thread where I posted about using the BPhobbies 2915D brushless motor.

With this combo (which is fairly cheap) the plane is a rocket, produces 30minute flight times per charge/pack, and performs with the approximate equivalence of a .30 sized engine.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Vendetta

Yeah I saw your other post. The reality is I'd prefer a nitro engine. As for the conversion, I figured out the offset. I bought thrust plates and was told to start off at about 2 degrees and tweak it after that.

As for the firewall I've decided to cut the existing mount off flush, and add layers of 1/8" plywood until I can fit the engine inside the cowl allowing proper spacing for the prop. Any tips?

As for the prop OS suggests a 9x5 for break-in and 9x6 after that. I guess I'll start there.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:27 PM
opjose

I haven't done what you are contemplating.

However if I were going to attempt this "cold" w/o any other advice to the contrary, I would probably try to see if there was a way of fabricating the right sized firewall out of ply, as you are doing, to basically "cover" the exisitng one and then re-inforce it via ply blocks mounted behind the balsa firewall, also epoxied to the fuselage.

That way a set of screws could be used to further anchor the new ply firewall, right through the existing one, on back to the blocks.

This would avoid damaging the existing covering and cowl.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Vendetta

Great advice thanks.