Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

painting plastic cowl

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

painting plastic cowl

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 04:00 AM
halflight
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting plastic cowl

Is it necessary to prime a plastic cowl before painting (Ultracote paint)? Or just sand with 400 grit paper?
Old 01-30-2003, 04:26 AM
Giant Scale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting plastic cowl

Yes, primer is necessary to ensure that the paint bonds well. Depending on how good you want your cowl to look will determine the amount of time you will have to spend prepping the surface and applying the finish. Usually you apply a couple coats of primer, fill in any scratches with a good quality spot putty (I like 3m products) then wet sand with 400-600 grit.. Wipe the surface to make sure its clean and apply your color coats. Two to three coats are usually adequate. If you really want to get that glass look to your finish, wet sand the final color coat with some 1000-1200 grit paper. Wipe down and spray a clear coat. When dry the finish should be like a mirror.