Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Which Fuel Mixture?

Old 01-31-2003, 09:22 PM
HavingFun2002

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Which Fuel Mixture?

Pretty new to glow, and Iíve been a bit confused as to which fuel to use for which engine. Iíve been flying .46 OS FXs and a .46 Tower, but Iím moving to .91 YS 4 stroke and who knows what after that.

When flying the .46s Iíve been using a 5 % nitro mixture (the pink stuff), as recommended by my LHS. However, I was also told that I could move up to 20% mixtures without a problem. So, which should I be running?

What about my new .91 YS 4 stoke? Is there a reference table someplace that will guide me?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:03 PM
lownslo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New YS??

I own all Saitos. YS is a top of the line product and if it is new, there should be an instruction sheet that comes with the engine. My Saitos had fuel parameters, mainly oil @ 20%. Product directions are your BEST source of information..... not ME, or "most" anyone else. If the written directions are not clear enough, email or call the mfg./distributer. This is NOT a slam to others that may have suggestions. I am sure you gained your knowledge by running this engine over the years. But.....I have talked to many people in person, and here on the forums, about this "Saito 20% oil thing". Half the guys say NO... I run... 16%-18% no problems, or no castor, 50% castor, on and on.....!! This is the point. YS is a very expensive engine. MOST guys know what they are doing. But if I were you, I would make sure you do as YS says. (for now), It just makes good sense to keep your warrany valid. After a while, you can "ease into" some other suggestions. .... lownslo....
Old 02-01-2003, 01:37 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Moderation is the key

Good advice lownslo, and Yes, this is fun
Moderation is the key though. I run 5% nitro, 17% oil in all my glow engines, 20% of that oil% being castor. Too much castor gummed and carboned up my engines and they ran like crap. I used to add a couple of ounces of castor to every gallon of fuel years ago but got away from it. Everyone runs and flies their engines differently though. That scenario just didn't work for me .

I've run 5% in the OS 1.60, Moki 1.35, MVVS .40, Rossi .45 ad infinitum. I also don't need every last blessed rpm out of any of those engines to fly my plane though. The needle tweakers and infinitely unhappy engine owners are the ones that seem to get in trouble. As far as four strokes, again, seek GOOD advice from fellow flyers or the manufacturer. We have factory representation for YS right here if I'm not mistaken? When I was using the older YS 1.20's I ran a 20/20 mix exclusively and it was fine. 20% oil and 20% nitro. This was awhile ago so again, find out what's happening now for your particular situation and go have some fun_bob
Old 02-01-2003, 06:10 PM
HavingFun2002

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Which Fuel Mixture?

Any particular brands that I should look for?
Old 02-01-2003, 07:07 PM
lownslo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default OHHHH Man!!! Here goes!!!

OK HavinFun2002...... I really wanted to post a link here and let someone else catch the flak.., but I could not find it. It was a chart comparing four fuel brands. I will TRY? to relay at least the basic message this chart was showing. Fuel brands all claim "the best ingredients", 99.9% pure etc. The thing that bothered me was the way at least one manufacturer mixed their componants. They measured their content's percentage by "specific gravity" instead VOLUME!!
When I looked at "their" contents.... oil listed at 18% on their label was NOT 18% by volume. That also goes for the nitro content in their fuel. Their "percentage" was by weight!! Soooo, the oil was something around 16.5 % and 15% nitro was really 13.?? %!!!! The rest of the weight being made up by alcohol. The problem being....the oil protection you thought you were getting was not the 18%. The POWER you were buying, (15%), was not totally there either. I KNOW I WILL CATCH enough flak for this as it is, so I will not mention the brand I refuse to buy. WHERE IN THE xxxx DID THAT CHART GO???!!!! I will say this.... I WILL use Wildcat, Omega, and Sig fuels.
Wildcat premium extra being my favorite.
This "fuel thing" can get volitile!!(no pun intented). Try reading about fuels on RCU's fuel forum..... here is a link I pasted for you.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...640&forumid=47
This guy "fuelman" knows his stuff and helped me decide on a good 4 stroke mix/brand. He sells his own fuel, but it was cost prohibitive for me with the shipping. That still did not deter him giving me his full attention on the forum and with phone calls.
Good luck......lownsloo