Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

racing wheels

Old 02-02-2003, 04:42 AM
sz0pa148

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default racing wheels

Hi,

I'm looking for 3" racing wheels and the only thing I can find is 2.25" at TowerHobbies. Does any one know a place where I could get that size??

Thanks,

Mike
Old 02-02-2003, 09:19 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default racing wheels

You,re not likely to find in genuine cookie cutter racing wheels out there in any size but 21/4 inch simply because the three AMA rulebook pylon events that require wheels (Sport Q500, standard Q500 and Q40 all require a minimum diameter of 21/4. The hayes wheels that I beleve Tower carries are leftovers of the days when wire gear was common and are high drag blunt faced wheel that you would never see at a race anymore.

Cookie cutters are knife edged and use zero drag axles with no protrusions on on the gear side or the wheel side. For these wheels and axles see:

www.lcsperformance.com

www.jettengineering.com

Also carried by Performance Specialtys but I don,t have that handy.

John
Old 02-02-2003, 01:53 PM
Flypaper 2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default racing wheels

Williams Bros used to make them. I don't know wether they still do or not. The ww 1 wheels may be an alternative.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:49 AM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default racing wheels

You can make your own out of a piece of plywood, a piece of alu tube, a piece of nylon or plastic control rod, some epoxy and some glass fibre tissue...
Additional items required: a ball of about 8" diameter (I use a glass ball that used to serve as a cover for a light bulb) covered with clingwrap to mould the wheel sides over...

It would take me about an hour to make two 3" wheels, at virtually no cost, and you can make them as strong as you want them to be.

I have a set (3") in the basement on an old 9.5 pound Midwest Super Hots, and that plane has served in funfly competitions years ago. I can tell you those wheels took quite a beating on touch and goes. They are the strongest set of wheels I have ever seen, much stronger then your average "sport wheel"... and light...