Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

to much washout?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

to much washout?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 03:15 PM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to much washout?

Washout. How much is to much? Just finishing up a wing and it is real noticeable, so checked it and had 4 degrees of washout. Never had a wing with that much built in before.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: to much washout?

What model? Some trainers and almost all free flight or aileronless models have (or should have) that much. Many sport models have none at all.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:02 PM
macdona

This is a kit cutters kit of a seaplane called Miss Grandin. Kind of like the old days, a box of wood and no instructions. I scratch build a lot but never built in that much washout, so was concerned. Thanks for the come back.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:53 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

I think I have too much im my Ultrasport 40 kit. Never measured it, but when I go into turns, especially right turns, the plane seems to want to drop out the turn, instaed of carve it. I read somewhere that this could be due to too much washout. True?
Old 01-28-2007, 12:29 AM
KI8FR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is washout?
Old 01-28-2007, 08:43 AM
BillS

ORIGINAL: jzinckgra

I think I have too much im my Ultrasport 40 kit. Never measured it, but when I go into turns, especially right turns, the plane seems to want to drop out the turn, instaed of carve it. I read somewhere that this could be due to too much washout. True?
When the airplane drops or requires elevator to maintain a turn the balance is usually too far forward.

Bill
Old 01-28-2007, 09:09 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tellspin_37

What is washout?
Do a search. It's discussed and described all over the place.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:15 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's too much washout?

Almost any at all on a non-tapered planform. Any at all on a symmetrical wing if you plan to fly it "symmetrically".

And you need to consider what the wing already has in it. It might have aerodynamic washout. And if it's airfoils differ from root to tip. And how much it's tapered. The question is way too general.

But if you want a soundbyte answer..... More that 2degrees is usually a waste and actually detrimental aerodynamically. A couple of degrees is almost always enough (when washout is appropriate and needed) to reduce or eliminate tip stalling. And when it's not, our having done the washing out convinces us that it is. And if we think something is helping, whether or not it does, it does.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:46 PM
macdona

Thanks every one for the come backs. The wing is solid planked so will have to live with what we have. I agree that not much washout is required and have never, when scratch building, built in that much. Some where down the road and after test flight will come back with my observations.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:58 PM
BillS

ORIGINAL: macdona

This is a kit cutters kit of a seaplane called Miss Grandin. Kind of like the old days, a box of wood and no instructions. I scratch build a lot but never built in that much washout, so was concerned. Thanks for the come back.
You will probably find that if you reflex the ailerons up about 1/16” the effect of washout will start to disappear. Also it is easy to experiment and can be returned to the current location. A seaplane was probably not intended to fly for extended periods upside down.

Bill